Yourmusic.com corner

Big Al

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, this is contemporary Brazilian music from a singer who is a Bossa Nova and beyond veteran.

With her husband Jacques (cellist and arranger and composer) she worked with Jobim in his final decade or so, and has worked with others recreating Jobim's music over the last five years.

I really like her voice, and her "presence" . . . . This one seems to be a bit of a departure in that she is using synths and drum machines and scratchin' record apparently as a backdrop/accompaniment at least in part. And I'm not sure if hubby is involved (if her husband IS involved that is a big plus).

If you want to wait I promise to give a brief report in a week or so when I have it in hand.

paulaejaques.jpg

Edited by jazzbo

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I've had Berimbaum for about 18 hours now. . .

morel_berimbaum.jpg

Man I dig this!

Definitely a tastefully done fusion of the contemporary with the classic. The result is one of those rare albums that frees itself from the cliches of the genre, even though it uses them, presenting them in a new light.

Paula sings beautifully. There are some devestatingly good use of low horns, drum machines, synth sounds, and sampled guitars etc. Some parts sound like Laswell dub-productiong (which is meant as a compliment). Some sound like nothing else quite that I've heard. The sonics and the mix are just great.

Fun fun music and I'm going to be enjoying and recommending this for some time!

Hey!! That Hutcherson was in my queue for this month, and was supposed to ship to me on April 6th! I just checked after seeing your post, and my Hutcherson order status shows as "cancelled" :angry::tdown

I would have ordered it a month or two ago, had I known it was going to disappear so quickly. May have to go through my 40+ queue and see if there are any other BN's or anything that might have a short shelf life at yourmusic.

GA - They haven't taken the next item on my list (Wilco - A Ghost is Born) and bumped it up from May to April, as far as I can tell. So I guess I'm essentially skipping my automatic shipment for April.

Now if I get my credit card statement and see a charge on there, I'm not gonna be real happy about that!

Kinda squirrely...

I would have ordered it a month or two ago, had I known it was going to disappear so quickly.  May have to go through my 40+ queue and see if there are any other BN's or anything that might have a short shelf life at yourmusic.

Any idea or guess on what may be the next to be deleted from their inventory?

I had to bump Ellington's "Piano in the Background" up to the top of my queue last month because they were deleting it from their catalog. I still have "Piano in the Foreground" in my queue and I haven't gotten any notices on that.

Kevin

Same here. But at least they sent an email advising to do that. :tup

Dang. Just got an email saying they were no longer carrying Bobby Hutcherson's Now.

They send e-mails? I never got one! I guess you have to have one of those items in your queue before they send an e-mail.

Exactly. If they learn that something in your queue will no longer be available to them on the date you have it scheduled to ship, they apparently give you a heads-up.

CRAP!!!!!

I just got the following email from yourmusic.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Starting on May 13, 2005, we will be increasing the monthly fee and CD prices at yourmusic.com to $5.99.

If you do not wish to continue your subscription at the $5.99 price, you are free to cancel at any time by accessing your account.

We hope you'll continue to enjoy your subscription and take advantage of our still low price of only $5.99 with free shipping and handling.

Sincerely,

Yourmusic.com