The most inappropriate question

Alon Marcus

Can U name sum CDs where the drummers go crazy?

I'm nu to jazzy music canu name sum neat stuff to play to get inna chicks pants?

what jazz solos should I memorize 2 play at jazm sessions 2 impress people ( and2 get inna chicks pants )?

One I've listened 2 Kinda Blue and A Love supreme what other jazz is worth bothering with ?

IS the badplus cool or what?

BTW: I dont think Bb Ma 7 needs to worry about being too old here ..I'm 67, and I not only remember Al Haig ,I played a session with him back in NYC in the late 50s ..

..and I also am old enough to remember when the Fed chairman was a tenor player on the Henry Jerome hotel band

:party::party::party:

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can U name sum CDs where the drummers go crazy?

I'm nu to jazzy music canu name sum neat stuff to play to get inna chicks pants?

what jazz solos should I memorize 2 play at jazm sessions 2 impress people ( and2 get inna chicks pants )?

One I've listened 2 Kinda Blue and A Love supreme what other jazz is worth bothering with ?

IS the badplus cool or what?

BTW: I dont think Bb Ma 7 needs to worry about being too old here ..I'm 67, and I not only remember Al Haig ,I played a session with him back in NYC in the late 50s ..

..and I also am old enough to remember when the Fed chairman was a tenor player on the Henry Jerome hotel band

:party::party::party:

Speaking of memorizing solos, I guess you'd be as surprised as I was when in the school jazz band, the kids pplay written and memorized solos! When I first heard they all sounded the same I was like what, are those already written down? Someone's like yeah. :o

These other kids can't play jazz for their lives. You should of seen these other kids trying to make up their own bass lines because the teacher said they had to start doing that. It was like one not the whole time. Then when they finally changed a note, it was so, Not in the right key! Their bass lines are so stiff, and do not swing at all. The drummers play with lead feat with the bass drum heavy on 1 and 3, the snare on 2 and 4, and the stiffest jazz ride pattern. And the guitarist? He's the best soloist there, but all he does is modern blues solos, like BB King. That's all he knows how to do. He has no imagination in his playing. Im about to yank the guitar off him, and show em' how its done!

Excuse me here, I get a little emotional about my music sometime. :P

Speaking of memorizing solos, I guess you'd be as surprised as I was when in the school jazz band, the kids pplay written and memorized solos! When I first heard they all sounded the same I was like what, are those already written down? Someone's like yeah.  :o

These other kids can't play jazz for their lives. You should of seen these other kids trying to make up their own bass lines because the teacher said they had to start doing that. It was like one not the whole time. Then when they finally changed a note, it was so, Not in the right key! Their bass lines are so stiff, and do not swing at all. The drummers play with lead feat with the bass drum heavy on 1 and 3, the snare on 2 and 4, and the stiffest jazz ride pattern. And the guitarist? He's the best soloist there, but all he does is modern blues solos, like BB King. That's all he knows how to do. He has no imagination in his playing. Im about to yank the guitar off him, and show em' how its done!

Excuse me here, I get a little emotional about my music sometime.  :P

I think for beginners playing memorized written-out solos is not such a bad first step, provided that the one writing them out knows what they're doing. There obviously comes a point where playing written solos becomes a crutch and inhibits growth, but as a starting point it's a way to become aquainted with the jazz vocabulary.

All the rhythm section problems you describe are common for beginners. Be patient as they learn. I would expect there are things that you could improve upon in your playing, too! Don't be the "guy who thinks he's better than everyone in the band". Whether or not that might be true, people don't like being around someone like that. Help out those who need help. Be a mentor.

And regarding your last sentence, this is not your music, it's EVERYONE'S music. :)

And welcome to the board- there is much to learn here.

Speaking of memorizing solos, I guess you'd be as surprised as I was when in the school jazz band, the kids pplay written and memorized solos! When I first heard they all sounded the same I was like what, are those already written down? Someone's like yeah.  :o

Excuse me here, I get a little emotional about my music sometime.  :P

I think for beginners playing memorized written-out solos is not such a bad first step, provided that the one writing them out knows what they're doing. There obviously comes a point where playing written solos becomes a crutch and inhibits growth, but as a starting point it's a way to become aquainted with the jazz vocabulary.

All the rhythm section problems you describe are common for beginners. Be patient as they learn. I would expect there are things that you could improve upon in your playing, too! Don't be the "guy who thinks he's better than everyone in the band". Whether or not that might be true, people don't like being around someone like that. Help out those who need help. Be a mentor.

And regarding your last sentence, this is not your music, it's EVERYONE'S music. :)

And welcome to the board- there is much to learn here.

Yes, I hate the ego-crazed musicians too. Maybe if these kids had passion for the music, I could see it like that. But I mean, none of them love music. I'm sure they just see it as another thing to do, or at least something their parents make them do.

Well since starting on a new instrument very recently, my playing could improve A LOT! I got the passion for hopefully becoming great one day, I hope.

Maybe if these kids had passion for the music, I could see it like that. But I mean, none of them love music. I'm sure they just see it as another thing to do, or at least something their parents make them do.

"Passion for the music" isn't something that comes to all automatically. It grows from experience, practice and study. I was TERRIBLE in jr. high- never practiced, wasn't into the music at all. When I discovered jazz in high school I found something that I could relate to and started working harder. Once I started to experience a little success, the passion started to grow and continues to do so.

If you want to be a player it's not just about listening to great music, although that's one of the major ingredients. You've got to spend a LOT of time with your instrument, practicing and jamming w/others. I'd recommend studying privately w/a professional if that is a possibility for you. When learning the specifics of the instrument you should study with a guitarist; for learning improvisation you have more options- you can study with guitarists, saxophonists, pianists, etc.

Edited by Free For All

Maybe if these kids had passion for the music, I could see it like that. But I mean, none of them love music. I'm sure they just see it as another thing to do, or at least something their parents make them do.

"Passion for the music" isn't something that comes to all automatically. It grows from experience, practice and study. I was TERRIBLE in jr. high- never practiced, wasn't into the music at all. When I discovered jazz in high school I found something that I could relate to and started working harder. Once I started to experience a little success, the passion started to grow and continues to do so.

If you want to be a player it's not just about listening to great music, although that's one of the major ingredients. You've got to spend a LOT of time with your instrument, practicing and jamming w/others. I'd recommend studying privately w/a professional if that is a possibility for you. When learning the specifics of the instrument you should study with a guitarist; for learning improvisation you have more options- you can study with guitarists, saxophonists, pianists, etc.

I try and spend as much time as possible, playing my instrument. I try to get at least 4 hours a day, sometimes I'm not so lucky. In the summer time, I pretty much get about 9 hours. My parents always crack down on me saying, "Damn, can't you like anything else besides music? Thats all you're into. When we're in the car, you're listening to your jazz. Jazz, jazz jazz! That's why your school work is suffering! " :P

I hope to get a guitar teacher a little bit down the road.

Homer: "Ppfht! Jazz. They just make it up as they go along. I can do that." Sings Mary Had A Little Lamb using dee sounds for the notes.

Marge: "Homer, that's Mary Had A Little Lamb."

Homer: "Alright then, how about this?" Sings Mary Had A Little Lamb using doo sounds for the notes.

Marge: "That's the same song, you just replaced the dees with doos."

Homer: "D'oh!"

Now, the most inappropriate question by a newbie on this board might be, "When is Wynton going to have his own Mosaic?"

"When is Wynton going to have his own Mosaic?"

When he arrives to create a big band arrangement to "For Alto" by Anthony Braxton. I've heard his thinkin' bout.

let me know when Winne --um --"writes" the arrangement ..

so I can have a vomit bucket ready ..

not a fan of Winnies pencilizations under any circumstances!!! :tdown:tdown:tdown:tdown