2005 Connoisseurs

Late

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Proud? Why proud?? What's wrong with buying Japanese releases

Buying releases form Japan, in my mind, represents the next level of addiction. By not getting them I can deny that my illness is as serious as it is. ;)

I always thought they were $20+ dollars each and couldn't justify paying that when there is so much I don't have which available here for less than $10. (If they are not that expensive, please do not tell me, let me have my little fantasy.)

My OCD tendencies also are a reason. It would drive me crazy to have some US releases, some Japanese releases, some Spainish releases.

Somehow I justified the Spainish releases mainly because they were so cheap. But there is not a day that goes by that those cursed blue covers do not haunt me in the very depths of my soul. I upgrade them to US versions when I can (True Blue, Boss Horn)

Proud? Why proud?? What's wrong with buying Japanese releases

Buying releases form Japan, in my mind, represents the next level of addiction. By not getting them I can deny that my illness is as serious as it is. ;)

I always thought they were $20+ dollars each and couldn't justify paying that when there is so much I don't have which available here for less than $10. (If they are not that expensive, please do not tell me, let me have my little fantasy.)

My OCD tendencies also are a reason. It would drive me crazy to have some US releases, some Japanese releases, some Spainish releases.

Somehow I justified the Spainish releases mainly because they were so cheap. But there is not a day that goes by that those cursed blue covers do not haunt me in the very depths of my soul. I upgrade them to US versions when I can (True Blue, Boss Horn)

Many of those Spanish Blue Notes are in fact Japanese remasterings...

Edited by J.A.W.

Many of those Spanish Blue Notes are in fact Japanese remasterings

Yes, I know, that's my little "loophole" in my delusion about my disease ;) . (don't try try to understand the workings of an insane mind :blink: .

It may drive you crazy as well :wacko: )

Similarly, the Select series is my "loophole" in my refusal to buy Mosaics.

Is it just me, or are we actually getting close to the light at the end of the tunnel??

Certainly "yes" in terms of previously unreleased material (there's really not all that much left in the vaults -- probably a dozen sessions at most, no?? -- and much as we'd like to think otherwise, some number of them are probably legitimately "rejected" on artistic grounds).

But also in terms of obvious ("real") choices for Conns, in terms of titles that have never been released on CD before in the U.S. (except as part of a Mosaic).

Sure, there are still a number of things left to go that are much closer to "Rare Groove"-type material, which we may yet see through Water (if the "Rare Groove" series really is dead).

But in terms of "Conn" material, there really aren't lots and lots of obvious choices left for this series (other than titles we've already seen as parts of Mosaics, of course).

Anybody think otherwise?? What titles and/or sessions am I overlooking??

Edited by Rooster_Ties

And that said, then maybe there is some real chance that NATURAL ESSENCE will actually be a Conn someday (if not next October, then certainly within the next three years I'd think).

And the only way that sucker is gonna sell even as much (or rather as "little") as it's gonna sell, is if they include some of The Trainwreckâ„¢ session as bonus cuts. After all, quite a few of us already have the TOCJ -- so without bonus cuts, there'd be no motivation to buy the Conn.

Many of those Spanish Blue Notes are in fact Japanese remasterings

Yes, I know, that's my little "loophole" in my delusion about my disease ;) . (don't try try to understand the workings of an insane mind :blink: .

It may drive you crazy as well :wacko: )

Similarly, the Select series is my "loophole" in my refusal to buy Mosaics.

You've got some exceptions in there that would make a lawyer proud. Since we're all addicts or we wouldn't be here, if Japan has material that you can't get here, you go to the source. If that's not the case with JRVGs and RVGs, then I understand. But for example with the OJCs and the Japanese reissues by Victor, there's no comparison, I'd still buy Japanese.

Also why not buy Mosaic except for Selects. I don't get that. I understand some people's preference for individual albums but if it's material you can't get anywhere else, then that doesn't make sense to me.

Edited by Brad

Also why not buy Mosaic except for Selects. I don't get that. I understand some people's preference for individual albums but if it's material you can't get anywhere else, then that doesn't make sense to me.

Since when does my disease have to make sense to you? :D

Really it's all about money. If I start buying Mosaics I'm going to have to go after some of those that are out of print and it's going to cost me hundreds dealing with the scum on ebay. :unsure:

Again there is so much out there I don't have that I can get for under $10, I can't justify dropping $150 on a box set of rarer stuff.

(I really should have gotten the Fuller and Blue Mitchell sets though)

(I really should have gotten the Fuller and Blue Mitchell sets though.)

(Pssst: Don't let the Jay Jay set slip past you then! Great sound, great music. Ramen for a month ain't so bad. Also, Keystone Light, in a pinch, will get you through the blues of the credit card statement.)

dealing with the scum on ebay. 

Again, part of the delusion. Ebay sellers will rip you off by having their friends drive up the bids. Once you've won the auction they come into your house dressed like ninjas :ph34r: and steal back the set so they can sell it again!

Don't resist or they will break your legs. This guy I know fell off his roof and broke his leg so I know it's true. :wacko:

Well, if you take the GW (George Washington) and get off on the Major Deegan and follow that to the Triboro Bridge, then get off at 278, that should take you there.  Any questions?

I use the Holland Tunnel -> West Side Highway S -> FDR N -> Williamsburg Bridge.

Depending on the time of day and year, I've also used 278 from SI, but it's expensive coming back that way.

Getting back on *track*, make sure you don't get too near the Amtrak lines. Wouldn't want to cause another *train wreck* now, would you?

^_^

:lol:

:P

B-)

Well, if you take the GW (George Washington) and get off on the Major Deegan and follow that to the Triboro Bridge, then get off at 278, that should take you there.  Any questions?

I use the Holland Tunnel -> West Side Highway S -> FDR N -> Williamsburg Bridge.

Depending on the time of day and year, I've also used 278 from SI, but it's expensive coming back that way.

Getting back on *track*, make sure you don't get too near the Amtrak lines. Wouldn't want to cause another *train wreck* now, would you?

^_^

:lol:

:P

B-)

Hell...I live about an 8th of a mile from the NE Amtrack line. It must be all my fault.