Johnny Carson dead at age 79

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I grew up with Johnny as many of us did- IMHO he had the best band ever on TV. I know hearing them each night definitely contributed to nurturing my interest in jazz (even though we only heard a fraction of what the studio audience heard). Also, Johnny's rapport w/Doc and the guys made it seem cool to be a jazz musician.

Seeing all these clips just reminds me how weak a replacement Leno is (IMHO).

RIP Johnny.

Edited by Free For All

RIP Johnny.

I agree with you-I used to like Jay when he came on and did his stand-up, but I've never found much to like in his version of the Tonight Show. I gave up watching him once Dave started his CBS show, and only came back to Jay maybe once or twice a year.

In a sense he's really been gone since he retired (can't believe its nearly 13 years!) because of his insistence on a private life. Seeing the discussion on TV and the articles quoted here, I get the strong impression that Carson was a lot like Reagan - no one really knew what was going on inside, what kind of person he "really" was.

But the part of himself that he did expose, was really one of a kind. You really missed something, B-3er!

One other observation I have to make: That Frank Rich piece reminds me how better suited he is to the show biz commentary he used to do, not his current, and always predictable, political schtick.

I agree completely. I have always felt the same way.

When Johnny Carson was the host of the Tonight Show, I was a Tonight Show faithful. While growing up, I remember my Dad always saying he couldn't go to bed till after Johnny's monologue.

During the first couple of years with Leno hosting the Tonight Show things weren't the same. To be fair, it couldn't be expected to be the same. Througout the years since Carson retired from public life, I've learned to quit watching the Tonight Show or any of the late night talk shows. The late night TV atmosphere is simply not as enjoyable without the presence of Johnny Carson.

I've always maintained faith that Johnny Carson would make just one more appearance on the Tonight Show as a guest or as a guest host. Alas, it was not to be.

To be honest, Johnny was out of gas the last few years (or more) that he was one. The routines were predictable and tired, and a lot of going throught the motions was going on nightly. He was right to retire.

Still, I was bummed when he did it (videotaped the last two weeks, I think...), and I'm now bumed to hear that he's passed. I was hoping for something - a guest spot on Letterman, or SOMETHING to get another glimpse or two of the real deal in action.

Could have sworn I saw Joe Henderson on The Tonight Show in the early, early 90's. Can't remember which album he was out in support of, but probably the Strayhorn tribute (or maybe the Miles one?).

The first and one of the only times I've ever seen any footage of Joe. (Might have it on tape still, though lard only knows where.) I think the only other footage of Joe I've ever seen was some "Jazz at the Whitehouse" special on PBS in the early 90's too, probably early in Clinton's first administration.

Pretty sure I saw Herbie, Wayne, Ron, Tony, and Wallace Roney too, within a few months after Miles died --- though maybe that was on Leno (can't remember for sure).

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I grew up with Johnny. I don't remember exactly when I started watching him regularly, but it was probably late 60's, when I got to be old enough where my parents didn't tell me when to go to bed. This came as a surprise to me (hadn't heard he was ill), and I think the emotion that overcame me was also a result of never really having pondered how much he impacted me. Like Jim said, his show was going downhill in the last few years, and I didn't watch (there may have been other factors involved at the time, besides the declining quality of the show... I don't recall). I missed the farewell show too. Always regretted that. It was fun to see some old clips on NBC and CNN tonight... brought back great memories. What an incredible era to have lived through...

RIP

Could have sworn I saw Joe Henderson on The Tonight Show in the early, early 90's. 

That was during Branford's brief tenure as bandleader. He lobbied to have some jazz players like Joe(obscure to the mainstream viewers- definintely not your Pete Fountain or Al Hirt!) on the show, but that certainly didn't last long. Neither did Branford.

I missed the farewell show too. Always regretted that.

Anyone who grew up with the Tonight Show should get the DVD set which contains the final show in its entirity as well as classic highlights.

One of the memories that hasn't been mentioned here is MUSIC.

As I said several posts ago, the music presented on this show had a profound influence on my then-teenage musical tastes.

I wish they'd release DVD collections of the many musical guests and band features. Probably $$ is what's keeping it from happening- a lot of folks to pay I expect.

Edited by Free For All

Although the name was later given to Don Rickles, I remember it was Johnny who pegged Buddy Rich as "Mister Warmth".

That reminds me- some of the most insane shows I remember were the ones where Rickles and Rich were guests on the same night.

======

Joe Henderson on video... if memory serves, he was one of the performers on the "Carnegie Hall Salutes The Jazz Masters" show back in the 90's (I think he performed a Jobim tune for his feature); and he's on the "Jobim & Friends" concert (CD / DVD) on Verve from '93, with Jobim, Jon Hendricks, Herbie Hancock, Shirley Horn, Ron Carter and others.

Also, wasn't he included in that "Tenor Titans" video hosted by Branford Marsalis years ago?

Could have sworn I saw Joe Henderson on The Tonight Show in the early, early 90's.  Can't remember which album he was out in support of, but probably the Strayhorn tribute (or maybe the Miles one?).

The first and one of the only times I've ever seen any footage of Joe. 

Get the One Night With Blue Note DVD. Joe's on there for the 1st 2 songs:

Cantaloupe Island (10:53)

Freddie Hubbard - trumpet

Joe Henderson - tenor sax

Herbie Hancock - piano

Ron Carter - bass

Tony Williams - drums

Recorda-Me (11:25)

as above, plus

Bobby Hutcherson - vibes

------------------------------

One thing that may be holding back DVD collections of musical guests on the Tonight Show is that a lot of that stuff was taped over or just not preserved. Probably not a problem towards the end, but it certainly is for earlier years.

Johnny was one of the few who when he retired stayed retired. Or at least from the public eye. It sure was strange timing, as the news of him sending jokes to Letterman brought him back to life. On Thursday or Friday Letterman had a joke that bombed and he said "that was not a joke that Johnny sent."

The Miles Tribute band (Roney/Shorter/Hancock/Carter/Williams) appeared on the Jay Leno tonight show on 8/24/92. I remember because it was our first wedding anniversary, and also Jay made a point of saying that Wayne's birthday was the next day. They actually played two pieces (the second of which was a medley). The second piece was quite good; I remember the first was simply outstanding.

The band reunited for the 1996 Monk saxophone competition gala (which was also televised). They did a very weak version of 'Walkin'.

Bertrand.

It sure was strange timing, as the news of him sending jokes to Letterman brought him back to life. On Thursday or Friday Letterman had a joke that bombed and he said "that was not a joke that Johnny sent."

According to the Washington Post the news about Carson sending jokes to Letterman was leaked by former Tonight Show producer Peter Lassally

"Lassally revealed the secret about the jokes because he was trying to get inquiring TV columnists off the topic of Carson's health, not wanting to discuss it any more than necessary. The National Enquirer had splashed a story about Carson being rushed to the hospital on its front page, and the tabloid is usually accurate when dealing with stories of celebrity illness."

One thing that may be holding back DVD collections of musical guests on the Tonight Show is that a lot of that stuff was taped over or just not preserved. Probably not a problem towards the end, but it certainly is for earlier years.

Also taped over were appearances of RFK and MLK in 1962 or 63...

(This was also noted on NYC local NBC news last night, with the announcer adding that they were taped over by "some lamebrain.")