Least Favorite Albums

Jazz Kat

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hot Dog - Lou Donaldson, July 17, 2004

Reviewer: James Morefield (Philadelphia, PA USA) - See all my reviews

I am truly surprised this isn't considered one of the finest Lou Donaldson organ funk recordings let alone one of the great examples of its overall genre. I find the playing on Hot Dog to be rife with extremely catchy rythms and tight, groovy solos. The last two songs, the title track and the cover of "It's Your Thing", are flat out wonderful. Lou's horn is great but, to me, is overshadowed by the fine combination of Reuben Wilson on organ and Melvin Sparks on guitar. Similar to the symmetry they display on Rueben's own "Blue Mode" they really cook up something special here, and I have found this to be my personal favorite amidst a growing collection of 60's and 70's jazz/funk/soul. I didn't necessarily consider this to be an 'underrated' work until searching through the reviews on these pages and seeing little mention of it on favorite's lists.

Was this review helpful to you? (Report this)

Wow, this "worst of" is basically my "best of" list...HOT DOG, SLOW DRAG...hmmm those are always in heavy rotation at my house.

I don't think Blue Note made any "dog" records. Some I don't "get" (Herbie Hancock "The Prisoner"), but alot of times I'm just not "there" yet.

I hate to see stuff like Hot Dog or I Want To Hold Your or Am I Blue get the thumbs way down. Sometimes I think it's an negative organ bias. Those are organ classics.