Art Pepper Select

Ron S

Now available for preorder in Upcoming Releases, with 3 full-length tracks as samples.

BTW, per the Mosaic site, this set was remastered by Ron McMaster, and not Malcolm Addey as was previously indicated in another thread.

Edited by Ron S

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn! Must say I am thoroughly disappointed to hear that it was McMaster, not Addey, who worked on this Select. I think most of McMaster's recent stuff is quite respectable, so it's not like I'll be passing based on this, but Addey's work is just generally mindblowing.

Bummer.

Damn! Must say I am thoroughly disappointed to hear that it was McMaster, not Addey, who worked on this Select. I think most of McMaster's recent stuff is quite respectable, so it's not like I'll be passing based on this, but Addey's work is just generally mindblowing.

Bummer.

I have many of these recordings on two Japanese Toshiba "Super Bit Jazz Classics" mini-LP CDs, The Art of Pepper (TOCJ-9311) and Modern Art (TOCJ-9407), which were remastered by Ron McMaster. I'm guessing that, for economic reasons, Mosaic decided to use those remasters after all, rather than have Malcolm Addey remaster the recordings again.

Bummer.

I have many of these recordings on two Japanese Toshiba "Super Bit Jazz Classics" mini-LP CDs, The Art of Pepper (TOCJ-9311) and Modern Art (TOCJ-9407), which were remastered by Ron McMaster. I'm guessing that, for economic reasons, Mosaic decided to use those remasters after all, rather than have Malcolm Addey remaster the recordings again.

But would that be consistent with the following statement from the Mosaic web site?

"For each of these exceptional sessions, we have returned to the original master tapes and remastered them in 24-bit with greatly improved results from all previous issues. " [bold added]

:blink:

Bummer.

But would that be consistent with the following statement from the Mosaic web site?

"For each of these exceptional sessions, we have returned to the original master tapes and remastered them in 24-bit with greatly improved results from all previous issues. " [bold added]

The McMaster remasters I'm referring to are also in 24-bit, and were done in 2002. But you're right, my guess doesn't seem to be consistent with that statement...

Bummer.

The McMaster remasters I'm referring to are also in 24-bit, and were done in 2002. But you're right, my guess doesn't seem to be consistent with that statement...

. . . unless they meant to say "improved results from all previous DOMESTIC issues." :unsure:

I think McMaster's 2002 remastering work on the Peppers for the Japanese market isn't so bad. I have all three SBJCs, and they sound pretty good to me. Nothing Addey-spectacular, but better than the original 80's U.S. reissues. More tape flaws are surfaced, but the drums (to my ears at least) are presented with more clarity. Some of those Omega tracks, remember, had fairly dubious sound to start off with. (Just my opinion, of course.)

Some of the tracks — those with Perkins, for instance — will have perhaps been remastered more recently (2003?), as they weren't included in the Japanese reissues.

Well, this will be the first time that I listen to them ...

You're in an enviable position. I think this is some of the best Pepper on record. Make sure to brew up your favorite coffee (or pour your favorite red) when the package arrives ... you're in for a treat! :tup

You're in an enviable position. I think this is some of the best Pepper on record. Make sure to brew up your favorite coffee (or pour your favorite red) when the package arrives ... you're in for a treat! :tup

This is early, excellent pre-Contemporary Art Pepper, but to be honest I prefer his subsequent Contemporary recordings, which in my opinion constitute his best work.

This is early, excellent pre-Contemporary Art Pepper, but to be honest I prefer his subsequent Contemporary recordings, which in my opinion constitute his best work.

The Pepper Select is a must, though. Highly recommended.

Don't you know:  when an American record company refers to cds, they expect you to "realize" that there are no cds from any other country on the planet!

Including Texas: "It's a whole other country!" :g

That's right! When the Mosaic collection of the Complete Quartet Out Recordings is released, they're going to say "appearing on cd for the first time." :P

I love this Pepper stuff, up there (in a different way) with his Contemporary dates for me.

I have one of the 24 bit Japanese McMasters, and it's...well, not that great. In fact, I actually don't think it's any kind of improvement on the older American CD issues.

The more I think about this, this might possibly be the first Mosaic Select that I will be passing on...