Mosaic distributed in Europe

ASNL77

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You might want to try calling The Verve Music Group (distributor of the set) in New York City at 212-331-2000. I've found on a few occasions--although with other record companies--that by calling and being bounced around from person to person to person, I've eventually spoken with someone who can deal with a defective CD issue.

Thanks Ron,

That's a good idea (for me). :tup:g

Let us know how it turns out, Jeff. And if I were you, I wouldn't refer to it as the "European" set--there's really nothing in the set to indicate it's intended only for European distribution and, as we've discussed before, it's clearly produced in the US.

And another thing: if you really want results, let Cat Shatner make the call.

Voice.gif

CatAndMirror.jpg

I have the same problem, I think (a "shushing" sound on track 1).  I contacted Mosaic. Their reply:

You need to contact the company you purchased the set from.

Then if it's a problem, I'd try--maybe in a coordinated effort by all those who have the problem--calling the Verve number I posted above. If that doesn't work, return it to Caiman or whoever your seller is. I'm still wondering based on the descriptions of the sound, and the fact that it only affects part of one track, whether this really is a CD manufacturing defect, or just a source tape flaw that is only revealed on certain playback equipment. :blink:

Let us know how it turns out, Jeff. And if I were you, I wouldn't refer to it as the "European" set--there's really nothing in the set to indicate it's intended only for European distribution and, as we've discussed before, it's clearly produced in the US.

And another thing: if you really want results, let Cat Shatner make the call.

Voice.gif

CatAndMirror.jpg

What are you saying... :ph34r::P

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

:lol:

Mosaic directing complaints to its distributors is an unfortunate development, but I assume it has to do with the nature of the agreement between them.

I once came across a faulty disc in a Fantasy box set (the Joe Henderson Milestone box, discs mastered by the dreaded ZYX plant). The set was purchased used here in Sweden. After an email to US Fantasy I got a prompt reply: "We have never encountered this problem before, but send us the faulty disc and we'll immediatly mail out a replacement for you". Two weeks later I had a (US manufactured) replacement disc in the mail, and it had apparently been sent out even before my defective disc had reached them. I was impressed with how they handled it.

Edited by Daniel A

I've also had great luck with Fantasy's customer service--e.g., once or twice I've heard something weird on a Fantasy CD (similar to what we're discussing here) and called them, and an engineer has listened to the track and called me back to report it's in the source tape. I also once found a printing error on the spine of the Shelly Manne at the Black Hawk Vol. 4 CD (it said Vol. 1 on the spine--confusing when on the shelf), and when I called Fantasy they immediately pulled all the Vol. 4's from stock, ordered new tray cards, and sent me a corrected one. :tup

I've had similar experience with Blue Note. And of course, Mosaic is also great when it comes to stuff purchased directly from them.

Edited by Ron S

I am going to keep my set. Amazon are obviously prepared to refund or change the whole set, but it is a lot of hassle for just 30 seconds and ..... there is no guarantee that the replacement set they will will be fine!

Edited by ASNL77

I agree -- I'll probably keep my set too. Seems like many others have the same problem with their set and sending it back may not guarantee a set without the problem. Also, I may run the risk of Caiman saying they have no more in stock as well. It was such a sweet deal and I'll learn to live with it.

Well, I changed my mind and sent the set back after listening to it over the weekend. I thought I would just "roll the dice" and hope for the best that I get a replacement set without the defective disc 6. This is probably going to be more hassle than it was worth but what the heck -- I'll have to be content with listening to the Art Pepper and Andrew Hill Selects ( :wub: ) and a dozen or so OJC's that were recommended by this Board while I wait. :w

I'll keep everyone posted as to how this turns out!!! :wacko:

I've just noticed a difference with the US (Mosaic produced) Tal Farlow and the Verve (EU) version. They mixed up the spine text for this one: it states The Complete Tal Farlow Verve Concert Band sessions!!!!! What a nice set that would be (if produced in the first place). Imagine Tal sitting in front of Gerry's Concert band and soloing all night long.......... Wake up!!!

• 3 weeks later...

OK, so I was just about to order one of these bargain Tal Farlows from Amazon, but have been deterred - remporarily I hope - by this thread.'

But I'm confused.

Is there a fault?

Is it on all or most of the cheap versions?

Or just those from a specific outlet?

Edited by kenny weir

OK, so I was just about to order one of these bargain Tal Farlows from Amazon, but have been deterred - remporarily I hope - by this thread.'

But I'm confused.

Is there a fault?

Is it on all or most of the cheap versions?

Or just those from a specific outlet?

Mine, from Caiman via Amazon, does NOT have the defect. Caiman's current listing on Amazon (here) says that they have 60 in stock, and they seem to keep replenishing their supply (although obviously not indefinitely). So, even if you happen to get one of the sets with a defective disc (as described earlier in this thread), you could always return the set to Caiman and get another one (they pay for return shipping of defective products).

Just an update on my Caiman purchase of the Tal Farlow set. I found that I had a defective Disc 6 and had debated about sending my set back. Well, I decided to "roll the dice" and send it back for a replacement.

Well, I rolled the dice and lost!! :( The new replacement (sealed) set sent by Caiman also has the same defective disc 6 (I've played it on about 7 different CD players with the same result -- it is defintely a defective disc and not my equipment).

I guess I will have to live with it because I won't be trying to get another replacement set. :rmad:

• 7 months later...

Don't know if this was already mentioned in this thread, but Amazon is selling the Farlow set new for $56.49. This isn't through a third party seller, but through Amazon itself. They say they've discounted the set 10% from $62.99. Its just $6 more than Caiman so I think it must be the European version. Either way, for those of you who didn't jump on the Caiman price this is another option.

And that's with a free shipping option, unlike Caiman's price. Also, if you happen to get one of the sets with the slightly defective disc (see above), Amazon has a great return policy--they'll send you a new set immediately (without waiting for the defective set to be returned), and you print out a prepaid return label online for the defective set.

I ordered the Basie, Jazztet and Eldridge from amazon.de. Total cost including shipping and tax, EUR 175. As shopping experiences go, this is one I have so far managed to enjoy. My only problem is I am up to my eyes in box sets and I am far too busy to listen to them! It makes me regret passing on the Ory, which I did because it wasn't near enough the top of my wants list. But I just took a big chunk out the wants list and I'm already planning how I should have spent the money I 'saved'...

I'm wondering what price the Herman set will eventually appear at (if there is a deal with Sony, as seems possible, though I know these others are Universal), and the Rich seems likely to come through at a tempting price eventually.

These and all the classical box set deals which are going - it's box set El Dorado around these parts.

My only problem is I am up to my eyes in box sets and I am far too busy to listen to them!

Just keep in mind that with box sets, what's important is not how they sound when they're played, but how they look when they're sitting on the shelf! :cool::w

Not to mention the part where I sit and stroke them every night as the evening light melts into darkness. Do you think the head print which results from putting them under my pillow reduce their eventual ebay value?

My only problem is I am up to my eyes in box sets and I am far too busy to listen to them!

Just keep in mind that with box sets, what's important is not how they sound when they're played, but how they look when they're sitting on the shelf! :cool::w

Not to mention the part where I sit and stroke them every night as the evening light melts into darkness. Do you think the head print which results from putting them under my pillow reduce their eventual ebay value?

I'd answer that, but I'd feel compelled to include a rather off-color comment about the stroking part, and then we'd have to rate this thread XXX.