Vinyl Heads Take Note!

Dan Gould

I just stumbled across this website, maybe its well known, but gobs and gobs of jazz vinyl, new and/or sealed reissues, and very reasonable prices.

Here's the link to the jazz listing:

http://www.vinyl.com/catalog/index.php?category_id=7

Edit:

I now see that there's more jazz listed in the All-Artists section than what's categorized as jazz:

http://www.vinyl.com/catalog/list_artists.php

Edited by Dan Gould

Excellent site! Many of their titles show at Stereo Jack's in Cambridge for a bit less but if you don't have Jack's place, this website would be a godsend. Those Epics are well worth the $9 or $10. Those Donald Bailey discs are both great. Ditto the Charlie Rouse. Curtis Fuller's "South American Cookin" is very good... Zoot Sims plays his ass off on this. I see they have Fuller's "The Magnificent Trombone". I don't have this one. Any good?

Later,

Kevin

They have a lot of reissue vinyl, including some Blue Note titles @ $8.99 each.

I've asked before, but have yet to receive an answer on it, but who is producing and issuing these Blue Note vinyl titles? Kevin, I was hoping you might. Does Blue Note have some control over these issues? Who is making them? And, lastly, are these from analog masters? Anyone know? :unsure:

I've been told that these Blue Notes are being made by Scorpio Records out of Philadelphia. Supposedly, this is the group that ran Evidence Records which is now defunct.

Later,

Kevin

Kevin, do they have BNs okay? And do you happen to know what the source material is? Thanks.

Scorpio has been around for 30+ years as a major source of "cut-outs" for retailers. As the vinyl dried up, they started licensing stuff to make their own product. They are (AFAIK) honest but "product oriented" as opposed to "sound oriented".

This is not in any way meant as a "dis", just a way to inform you of their priorities.

From http://www.vinyl.com/help/faq.php

Are these LP's audiophile recordings?

No. Though some of our albums have been remastered from original analog tapes and could be considered audiophile quality, most are not. Unless stated otherwise, it should be assumed that our reissues have been digitally remastered (usually) from a digital audio tape/D.A.T. provided to us by the label.

Jack Woker told me that these Scorpio LPs are supposed to sound OK. I was pretty interested in Mobley's "Dippin'", cause it's one of my favorites. But I still haven't tried it yet. I'm still debating whether to start buying stuff on vinyl that I already have on CD. Right now, I'm not but I may just to experiment.

This weekend, I once again had a flashback as to why I hated vinyl. I was spinning one of my latest Euclid purchases, "Xanadu at Montreux, Volume Two" when right in the middle of a nice Barry Harris trio track, pop... pop... pop... for about 2 minutes! Arrrgggh. Ruined the whole track for me. I put it onto CD-R and I'm trying to cleam it up but it's a pain in the ass.

Later,

Kevin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey check with one out...gotta be worth picking up , I mean ....John Patton and Grant Green.....what ya waiting for and £8.99.....craaaazy

http://www.vinyl.com/product_id/LPATLA1494

#Seems a good site, miss this pbeaties on vinyl and regret selling them too sometimes but at least I hooked up with the Japanese cds now :wub:

I've been told that these Blue Notes are being made by Scorpio Records out of Philadelphia. Supposedly, this is the group that ran Evidence Records which is now defunct.

I don't believe that there is any connection between Evidence and Scorpio.

If I can weigh in here, the Scorpio reissues run the gamut from very good to not so good, depending on which label thay are licensing from. I suspect that in many instances, they are actually manufactured by the company which owns the material. We have encountered a high incidence of warpage on many of the Atlantic titles, but have had no such problem with any of the other labels. I have only listened to the ones of which I didn't have the originals, and have had mixed results. I can report on those, and people can project from there.

Baby Face Willette's "Mo' Rock" (Argo/Cadet) sounded like it had been digitized. I probably would have been happy if I didn't have an original to compare it to. My original is in mono - wanted to get this in stereo but was not completely happy with the sound.

A. K. Salim's "Afro-Soul / Drum Orgy" (Prestige), an original of which I don't think I'd ever seen, sounds great, and I might mention that this is a killer record!

As someone else has mentioned, the Vanguards that I've heard, the two Dave Burns LP's, sound really good, and when does anyone expect to find originals of these?

In some instances, especially with CBS titles, they can't seem to get the mono/stereo thing right. Pony Poindexter's "Pony's Express" is in mono, where my original is in stereo. Many of the Columbia LP's as issued by Scorpio show mono covers. Some of these play mono, others stereo. There seems to be no pattern here.

I have several customers who I know to be audio conscious, and they have given the Blue Notes thumbs up - again, they show mono on the jacket. Whether they play mono or stereo is anyone's guess.

For the price, I think that the quality is acceptable overall. Serious audiophiles may have problems here and there, but in general these reissues are a good thing.

jack

I've been finding some sealed BN reissues that have 1993 date on them. Dead wax says "Mastered by Capitol" and has "Wally" next to it. Must be Wally Traugatt!! :tup:tup

I've picked up "Sweet Honey Bee" and "Let 'Em Roll" and they both sound great to my ears, on my system.

Do you guys have anymore info on these, and could these be the ones at vinyl.com?

I hope so, as I just dropped $100 on 'em (and others...)

B-)

P.S. Darn you Dan! ;):P

I've been finding some sealed BN reissues that have 1993 date on them. Dead wax says "Mastered by Capitol" and has "Wally" next to it. Must be Wally Traugatt!! :tup:tup

I've picked up "Sweet Honey Bee" and "Let 'Em Roll" and they both sound great to my ears, on my system.

Do you guys have anymore info on these, and could these be the ones at vinyl.com?

B-)

P.S. Darn you Dan! ;):P

No real info for you. I bought 5-10 of these when they first came out and think they are a good product. I'm just guessing that they will not be the ones you get from vinyl.com.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I received the lps. The Blue Notes are not the Wally Traugatt mastered ones...darn it.

I ordered four:

Soul Station

Something Else

Two Souls In One

The All-Seeing Eye

SS & SE were horribly warped. Yikes! The other two were fine, sound pretty good, but not revelatory. The guy at vinyl.com was great about wanting to keep me happy and sent out replacements. The replacements, sadly, were warped as well. But he's giving me a refund of the price and my return shipping cost.

Excellent customer service! I'll be buying from vinyl.com again for sure! :tup:tup

I've been finding some sealed BN reissues that have 1993 date on them.  Dead wax says "Mastered by Capitol" and has "Wally" next to it.  Must be Wally Traugatt!!  :tup  :tup

B-)

P.S.  Darn you Dan!  ;)  :P

No real info for you. I bought 5-10 of these when they first came out and think they are a good product. I'm just guessing that they will not be the ones you get from vinyl.com.

I think these must have been from the 'Rare Groove Series' vinyl tranche. I agree - they are excellent.