Percy France - I SHOULD CARE (1980)

JSngry

I used to have the following session, but don't remember much about it other than being delighted Mr. France was on it.

-Presents Le Quartet- : Percy France (ts) Cliff Smalls (p) Leonard Gaskin (b) Oliver Jackson (d)

New York, September 27, 1982

How am I to know Black & Blue (F)33180

You've changed -

Brittwood rag -

Sugar -

You stepped out of a dream -

C.C. rider pt. 1 -

C.C. rider pt. 2 -

For once in my life -

You're gonna hear from me -

Limehouse blues -

Edited by Chuck Nessa

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As sad as it makes me to think about Percy I'm delighted there's this much interest - in his last years he was living with Singsy Kyle, widow of Billy Kyle and a very sweet lady herself (she has since died as well). I remember one funny Percy story - as was mentioned earlier, he recorded and used to play with Lance Hayward, a blind pianist. Herman Foster, another blind pianist, used to work as a sideman from time to time at teh West End. One time Percy walked up to him, should his hand, and said, "Hi Lance." It was the most embarrassed I ever saw Percy.

Percy was vey unassuming. I tried to match him up with Barry Harris, who was working at the Angry Squire in downtown NYC. I knew Barry would have loved his playing, and he would have let Percy sit in, but Percy stayed to the side and declined to play that night. On that same night someone hanging out at the bar walked up and said to him: "Are you Percy France? You're a legend." Percy was clearly thrilled.

Allen, why do you think that Percy was seemingly so reticent to step out into the spotlight?

I'm excited to learn that there's so much more Percy France on record to discover, and that it is apparently of such high quality. Like I said, I only knew of him from a few things, none of which show him playing as sublimely as he does on this recording (and from the sound of it, these others) .

Something new to learn, that's why I love hanging out in places like this!

Percy was a very good friend of mine who died in a very tragic way - he was suffering from cancer, recovering slightly, but was hit by a car and killed - one of the nicest people I've ever known, and a major influence on my own saxophone playing (he taught me more about mouthpieces than anyone else). I will say it is still hard for me to discuss him - I spent a lot of time with Percy when I lived in NYC in the late 1970s, he was a frequent performer at the West End Cafe with various groups, including one that I was proud to have put together - a trio with Percy, Bob Neloms on pianio, andf Leroy Williams on drums. What a group - Percy was an amazing performer, one of the hippest I knew, had a nice old-school feeling with plenty of bebop. The Endgame CD you are referring to was recorded for a jazz history class I taught in new Rochelle; it was something of a still-born release, a CD I put together and then withdrew because of a problem with the Japanese, so I have not made it readily available, through there are a few copies floating around. I have plenty in my basement and would be happy to sell for cost, say $4.00 with shipping first class.

Sir Charles Thompson (with whom Percy recorded on Columbia) loved Percy's playing, and he was something of an underground legend. Like some other jazz musicians of great ability he seemd to work hard at avoiding the limelight. He was an interesing guy; somewhere I have an untranscribed tape of an interview; he knew Gigi Gryce well, played in a late 1940s rehearsal band with Miles, also knew Sonny Rollins. A great man, both musically and personally. If you want a copy of the CD email me at alowe@maine.rr.com -

I bought my copy from Cadence maybe four years ago and paid full price. I've enjoyed it so much that if I'd paid $40 for it, it would have been worth it. Anyone who doesn't grab this for $4 is just plain nuts or doesn't like music.

I'm excited to learn that there's so much more Percy France on record to discover, and that it is apparently of such high quality ...

That's why I've got a bead on that Black & Blue LP Chuck mentioned! B-)

I forgot to mention the leader was Oliver Jackson. Hope this helps.

Yeah, a quick google revealed that. Black & Blue has put out an Oliver Jackson disc in their "Definitive" series but from what I can tell its with Cliff Smalls but is only trio. :excited:

I did find a copy of the vinyl, but I'm hoping I can find it a bit cheaper so I'll keep looking before I decide if I should just go ahead and pounce.

like more than a few musicians I've known Percy was very comfortable in his hometown, had his own little niche, and may have been just a little bit nervous about trying for wider exposure - I've seen this in more than a few musicians who just didn't want to deal with a lot of the business aspects of the music and the complications of greater fame -

Guest ariceffron

ALLAN LOWE-- the times u saw warne there, how many did he have a b3 backing him??

--also re: percy, i have the columbia lp and its good but what do u mean 'banded for airplay'- are you refering to the 'bands' of the lp? please explain..

....also- i do recall that home cookin is one of jimmys better blues dates on blue note, a step above chicken shack et al-- it was one of my 1st bluenotes-- i should listen to it now in trib. 2 jimmy

I have had great luck going with recommendations from Jim Sangrey.

Well, gawrsh! Thanks!

Now, I recommend that everybody who reads this send me $100 cash. Don't ask what it's for, I'll let it be a surprise. But believe me when I tell you that this is one thing I highly recommend!

Got this from Allan in today's mail and stuck it right into the stereo. Believe everything that's been said on this thread and get your email to Allan to get your copy pronto! Percy does not disappoint and it is very nice to have him stretching out like this. Thanks again, Allan!

One question though: Did Percy often perform with no drummer? Was he a no-show for the gig or did Percy prefer no drummer set-ups on his own gigs? If anyone's wondering, you don't miss the drummer one bit.

BTW, I'm glad to report that I hunted down a copy of the Oliver Jackson/Percy France Black & Blue LP that Chuck mentioned earlier. Should have it by the middle of next week. :D B-)

just to let everyone know - I believe I have shipped all orders, as of yesterday - I did get a little confused as some orders I shipped out in advance and some I did not - my apologies in advance; if you do not get your Percy Franc CD by, say, next Monday (and it should be sooner as everything went out first class) - shoot me an email at alowe@maine.rr.com -

thanks!

A big thanks to Chuck for mentioning the Oliver Jackson Presents Le Quartet (Black & Blue) album. I hunted it down on Google and it was well worth it. Lots of great sounding Percy on this. My only complaint is that "C.C. Rider" was split into two tracks for radio airplay and there's a fade out and fade up in the middle of Cliff Smalls' piano solo.

Otherwise, :tup

If you see it, go for it!

• 1 year later...
  • 10 years later...
On 07/02/2005 at 0:27 PM, AllenLowe said:

just to mention the West End Cafe, as Larry has - though run by the much maligned Phil Schaap (and I like Phil for all of his foibles), it was at the West End that I saw the following:

Earl Warren (best swing alto player I ever heard - I would take him even over Benny Carter, and he never recorded to advantage)

Sammy Price -

Joe Albany

Jo Jones

Warne Marsh

Dickey Wells

Willis Jackson (I sat in with the band; biggest asshole I ever met; scowled the whole time at the white boy playing tenor next to him)

Jabbo Smith - still had some trumpet chops, and the most beautiful singing voice I ever heard

Joe Turner - was a friend of Percy's, and he used to sing with a mocrophone from a side table. Everything in the key of C -

all for under $5.00. A great place -

Benny Carter and Sweets Edison also played there. Also Lonnie Hillyer. Dick Katz put together a Monk tribute band with Lee Konitz, John Eckert and Leroy Williams. I remember him getting tired or something, and saying 'Let's play a couple of choruses of Nutty, and go home'. 

It was a great place for a young musician to hang out, sit in, and gain experience. My first gig there was with George Kelly's Jazz Sultans. Percy recommended me. One night I was playing with Percy, and Art Blakey and Lou Donaldson came in to listen. They sat down and applauded us.

The 1st owner I remember was a rackets guy who actually treated me nicely. Then it was sold to a snake, whose name I won't mention, nor an unpleasant encounter I had with his slimy self. He ran it into the ground. 

But my memories are fond...

Edited by fasstrack

On February 7, 2005 at 1:07 PM, AllenLowe said:

Percy was a very good friend of mine who died in a very tragic way - he was suffering from cancer, recovering slightly, but was hit by a car and killed - one of the nicest people I've ever known, and a major influence on my own saxophone playing (he taught me more about mouthpieces than anyone else). I will say it is still hard for me to discuss him - I spent a lot of time with Percy when I lived in NYC in the late 1970s, he was a frequent performer at the West End Cafe with various groups, including one that I was proud to have put together - a trio with Percy, Bob Neloms on pianio, andf Leroy Williams on drums. What a group - Percy was an amazing performer, one of the hippest I knew, had a nice old-school feeling with plenty of bebop. The Endgame CD you are referring to was recorded for a jazz history class I taught in new Rochelle; it was something of a still-born release, a CD I put together and then withdrew because of a problem with the Japanese, so I have not made it readily available, through there are a few copies floating around. I have plenty in my basement and would be happy to sell for cost, say $4.00 with shipping first class.

Sir Charles Thompson (with whom Percy recorded on Columbia) loved Percy's playing, and he was something of an underground legend. Like some other jazz musicians of great ability he seemd to work hard at avoiding the limelight. He was an interesing guy; somewhere I have an untranscribed tape of an interview; he knew Gigi Gryce well, played in a late 1940s rehearsal band with Miles, also knew Sonny Rollins. A great man, both musically and personally. If you want a copy of the CD email me at alowe@maine.rr.com -

Allen, do you still have any of these for sale?