What is or was the best photo of a jazz musician?

Hardbopjazz

Out of the thousands of photos taken of jazz artists, which one stands out for you as beeing the ultimate? Myself, even though it may not come close for anyone else, it's the photo of Charlie Parker and a very young John Coltrane. I believe it is in the Verve booklet to the complete Charlie Parker on Verve.

Edited by Hardbopjazz

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's too easy. It's the one of a smiling Kenny G on his album "Breathless". I'm sure you all know which one I'm talking about. :P . No, seriously...I really like the one of Donald Byrd playing his axe on a subway train, by Wm. Claxton. There are simply too many to have to choose a fave, though.

One of my very favorites is one of Bird at the Roost with Eager behind him grooving to the sound.

I couldn't name just one either, but this reminds me- I love the shot (would have to look up who took it) of Ella with Goodman and Ellington watching her from the audience.

Any of the Francis Wolff photos of Hank Mobley really but the one on the front cover of the 'Straight No Filter' LP and the one inside the 'Turnaround' RVG CD are probably my particular favourites.

The one of Wayne Shorter on the cover of 'The All Seeing Eye' is also pretty damn great.

Edited by sidewinder