Shrinkwrap on Vinyl

ralphie_boy

Question for the vinyl experts:

I purchased a sealed copy of Valdo Williams' New Advanced Jazz recently and was wondering if I should leave the shrinkwrap sealed, or cut it to take the LP out to prevent ringwear on the cover?

I say take it out and play it!

...but that's just me, of course... :P

OK, so, I'm assuming you've got this because it's a "piece"

and having it is more important than playing it, SO...

...what I've always understood is that shrinkwrap

is a magnet to heat and shrinkwrapped covers

(and, possibly, the LP too depending on your climate)

will begin to bow. I don't think that ringwear is really a result of

shrinkwrap - unwrapped covers can get ringwear - it's more of

a storage problem that produces ringwear.

...but I could be wrong about this...

Rod

---

Now playing: Jimmy Lyons - Never

I'm with Rod on this, i.e. leaving the shrinkwrap intact will encourage warping. Could be an old wives tale, but I never thought it would be worth it to find out. The other side of the coin is that the shrikwrap will preserve the "newness" of the slipcover. I don't see how the the wrap would have anything to do with ringwear.

Up over and out.

I asked pretty much the same question on another board, a long time ago. I had just found a sealed first pressing of Duke Pearson's "Sweet Honey Bee". Along with a few hearty congratulations, the general attitude was that I should play the record. If I didn't, was it really the music I was interested in, or...?

Well, I played it. It sounded great. And a few years later Kevin B lets it be known that if someone, somewhere in the world could present an unplayed first pressing of "Sweet Honey Bee" to be used as the source for the new RVG remaster (the master tapes were long gone) that would be great.

Since the Waldo Williams album has been out on CD, apparently from a tape source, I'd say that it should be safe to break the seal from that point of view. But, on the other hand, perhaps there are extra-musical arguments for keeping it sealed, no? ;)

I believe the risk for record warp depends on the vinyl quality, and how tight the shrink wrap is. The LPs from the 50s were quite sturdy, and the shrink wraps not yet as tight as they would be, so it might be that you could keep it sealed.

If you decide to kee the shrinkwrap on for whatever reason (not a good idea at all, imo), do it in such a way that the "stress" created by it is dissipated, which usually means splitting the top and/or seams way, WAY back. More trouble than it's worth, really.

The stuff is pretty much harmless as long as it stays sealed, but once it's opened, the pressure is unevely distributed, and, yes, it will cause warpage.

I hesitate to ask this, but why would you want to have fabulous music on vinyl, without wanting to play the records?? I play all my records at some point.

I know that original factory-sealed records are coveted by collectors, but I've often wondered why??

From time to time I have bought records in their original shrinkwrap and the advantage to me was that there were no scratches or nicks, but I immediately unwrapped them and played them.

I know that people collect records, just like they collect everything else, but the whole purpose of a record being made, it seems to me, is that somebody recorded something that they wanted us to hear.

Even though the same stuff, for the most part is also available on CD as re-issues, so it's not a case of never hearing the material, I still don't understand.

I'm reminded of my mother's beautiful things, which she kept wrapped, in a drawer, un-used, when I inventoried her house, after she died at ninety-two.

Edited by patricia

Most of the warped records I've seen were fresh off the press, so the shrink had nothing to do with it.

What would then cause the warping?? Almost everywhere I've ever bought records have carefully stored them on their edges, in their paper sleeves, inside their original covers. Of course, more unconventional sources are more chancy, though dirt and scratches seem to be more of a problem than is warping.

I was, however, witness to a supreme warping of a treasured Little Richard LP, lent to my brother and subsequently left in the back window of his '56 Ford in summer heat. It looked like one of those wavy-edged seashells that one sometimes sees.

:blink:

Most of the warped records I've seen were fresh off the press, so the shrink had nothing to do with it.

What would then cause the warping?? Almost everywhere I've ever bought records have carefully stored them on their edges, in their paper sleeves, inside their original covers. Of course, more unconventional sources are more chancy, though dirt and scratches seem to be more of a problem than is warping.

I was, however, witness to a supreme warping of a treasured Little Richard LP, lent to my brother and subsequently left in the back window of his '56 Ford in summer heat. It looked like one of those wavy-edged seashells that one sometimes sees.

:blink:

I've seen storage in the shrinkwrap cause warping of covers if the item was exposed to a damp environment for some time. It did not have any great effect on the wax, but I can't imagine it did any good. :)

Leaving the shrinkwrap on will eventually cause warpage.

I've seen it.

Five years ago I bought a Hubbard 'Goin' Up' mono W. 63rd that had been part of a sealed collection until the owners demise.....and it has a medium dish warp. The 'Open Sesame' from the same collection didn't. Difficult to say with absolute certainty but it's my understanding that it's okay to leave shrink on as long as you slit the openeing.

Now, that makes sense. That way, the cover art is protected, but you are still able to play the record. I don't think that a record was ever meant to remain shrink-wrapped indefinitely. The wrap was only on the record to protect it from dust and dirt, and to show that it had not been played, while in the record store, not to be left on.............for years, IMO.

Edited by patricia