Mainstream label recommendations?

sjarrell

My list, just emailed:

The entire Sarah Vaughan catalog.

The Brookmeyer/Terry LPs.

Also suggested: Lightnin' Hopkins' Mainstream output.

More:

M 56013 Two Jims and Zoot (Hall, Rainey and Sims)

56031 Maynard Ferguson: Color him Wild

MF Sextet

313 Roy Haynes: Hip Ensemble

314 Harold Land: New Shade of Blue

315 Blue Mitchell: Soul Village

324 Hadley Caliman Hadley Caliman

324 Sonny Red Sonny Red

329 Charles McPherson Charles McPherson

333 Curtis Fuller Crankin'

342 Hadley Caliman Iapetus

343 Blue Mitchell Vista Blue

344 Harold Land Choma

346 Johnny Coles Katumbo

351 Roy Haynes Senyah

365 Charles McPherson Siku ya Bibi

370 Curtis Fuller Smokin'

374 Blue Mitchell Blue's Blues

375 Shelly Manne Mannekind

376 Paul Jeffrey Family

390 Paul Jeffrey Watershed

392 Blue Mitchell The Last Tango=Blues

395 Charles McPherson Today's Man

400 Blue Mitchell Grafitti Blues

402 Blue Mitchell Many Shades of Blue (A compilation?  Not sure)

406 Paul Jeffrey Paul Jeffrey

413 Roy Haynes/Blue Mitchell Booty

Prestige

George Braith:

7474 Laughing Souls

7515 Musart

Freddie Roach:

7490 The Freddie Roach Soul Book

7507 Mocha Motion

If anyone has more suggestions, post!

Thanks everyone,

Sandy

Hi Sandy,

I notice you left off Harold Lands "Damisi" (Mainstream 367).

While it was issued several years ago on CD it has long been out

of print and in my opinion holds up nicely with Harold's other

two Mainstream albums. A somewhat dated sound but some

great blowing by Harold.

Why is it that your friend is only considering issuing these on LP.

Liscencing issues or are they targetig the European/Asian markets?

While I do have a turntable set up I would far prefer to acquire whatever

Mainstream issues I do not have on CD. Mainly because I do alot of my

listening in the car and my LPs really take a beating when I cram them into

my auto CD player :D .

Don

Had a recent note from Tamara Shad (daughter of Mainstream/Time founder Bob) who wrote, "We are about to relaunch Mainstream" - is this the same project as mentioned above? If not, perhaps they will be handling CD issues. Which would be great.

Mike

This is separate, as far as I know. But I'll be asking about it!

edit for spelling issues.

Edited by sjarrell

• 4 months later...

I have a CD collecting the Mainstream Roy Haynes with George Adams recordings--it's called Equipoise. 

Suggest looking here:

http://www.freeform.org/music/Mainstream.html

I would love to see things like: Hadley Caliman, Curtis Fuller, Hal Galper, Roy Haynes - I can't recall seeing any of these on CD ever.

Mike

Details, please!

Is it complete? Roy did two albums for the label - Hip Ensemble & Senyah, both w/Adams & Hannibal. 11 tunes combined. Rough, but frequently stirring. I've only heard LP versions of each, so if there's a CD version to be had...

It appears to be a U.K. reissue, on Mainstream Records, dated 1991. I have the Mainstream Roy Haynes LP Senyah; however, this CD contains none of the songs from that LP. The cover photo on Equipoise is exactly the same as the photo of the LP Hip Ensemble contained in my Senyah LP. Hence, I surmise that this is a reissue of Hip Ensemble. The tracks are Equipoise, I'm So High, Tangiers, Nothing Ever Changes My Love for You, Satan's Mysterious Feelings, Medley: You Name It/Lift Every Voice and Sing (all copyright 1971) and Roy's Tune (copyright 1974).

The CD cover lists 20 reissues in the Mainstream series, including two Blue Mitchells, a Harold Land, an Art Farmer, a Charles McPherson, and a Frank Foster.

I have a CD collecting the Mainstream Roy Haynes with George Adams recordings--it's called Equipoise. 

Suggest looking here:

http://www.freeform.org/music/Mainstream.html

I would love to see things like: Hadley Caliman, Curtis Fuller, Hal Galper, Roy Haynes - I can't recall seeing any of these on CD ever.

Mike

Details, please!

Is it complete? Roy did two albums for the label - Hip Ensemble & Senyah, both w/Adams & Hannibal. 11 tunes combined. Rough, but frequently stirring. I've only heard LP versions of each, so if there's a CD version to be had...

• 3 months later...

Mainstream also issued that strange Bud Powell album 'Ups 'n Downs'

You seem quite knowledgeable about early blues releases. I am currently penning a book on saxophonist Ed Wiley, Jr., who (in addition to several other labels) recorded extensively for Bob and Morty Shad's Freedom, Sittin' In With and Mercury labels in the 1950s.

I am trying desperately to contact Tamara Shad. Do you have clue where I might find her, as I would love to interview her about her father, uncle and early days of their recording career. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you in advance!

The Harold Land stuff for sure !

With you on that one, Funkateer! Those are the cream of their catalog to me. 'New Shade of Blue' and 'Choma' were recordings by the great, underrated Hutcherson/Land group. 'Damisi' was an excellent quintet with Oscar Brahsear. They recorded under Hutch's name on Blue Note, and Land's on Chess and Mainstream. Also would like to see 'Awareness' and 'Pure Dynamite' by Buddy Terry. Terry was a good Tenor player, and those albums had long, modal tracks with stunning sidemen - Woody Shaw, Joanne Brackeen, etc. There were also a few Various Artists albums on Mainstream ('Booty' was one) which had outtakes from the sessions. Those would make great bonus cuts. There isn't much of anything left in the Prestige Catalog that I'm itching to see on CD. They've gone pretty deep into it. Riverside, Jazzland, and Contemporary is another story.

Edited by felser

The Harold Land stuff for sure !

Also would like to see 'Awareness' and 'Pure Dynamite' by Buddy Terry. Terry was a good Tenor player, and those albums had long, modal tracks with stunning sidemen - Woody Shaw, Joanne Brackeen, etc...There isn't much of anything left in the Prestige Catalog that I'm itching to see on CD.

Oh the irony!

Terry's Natural Soul on Prestige has Shaw, Larry Young, and Eddie Gladden in prime form throughout. Sorta like a totally Newark-ized Unity in spots.

Oh the irony!

Terry's Natural Soul on Prestige has Shaw, Larry Young, and Eddie Gladden in prime form throughout. Sorta like a totally Newark-ized Unity in spots.

Well done, sounds awfully good to me. I'll have to go back through the Prestige discography. I must have missed that one amongst the Freddie McCoy's and Melvin Sparks's, etc. that seemed to define that period for Prestige.

Edited by felser

Oh the irony!

Well done, sounds awfully good to me. I'll have to go back through the Prestige discography. I must have missed that one amongst the Freddie McCoy's and Melvin Sparks's, etc. that seemed to define that period for Prestige.

What?? :huh: Something else with both Larry Young and Woody Shaw?? :o How'd I ever miss that???? :ph34r:

And who the heck was Buddy Terry?? Not a name I've ever heard before today.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• 3 months later...

Buddy Terry's a Newark saxophonist who did some sides for Prestige & Mainstream in the late 60s/early 70s. Natural Soul on Prestige, the one with Shaw & Young, is my favorite, but Pure Dynamite on Mainstream is a real out-of-left-field treat. Terry's always been a solid blues-based soul-jazz/hard bop player, but on this one he ventures into sort of a stretched out late-60s Miles bag. Not necessary a "great" side, but definitely an "interesting" one.

I thought that he had sorta "disappeared", but apparently not: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/swingadelic2/from/scottp

So hey - Buddy Terry lives!

This stuff never seeems to have come to fruition,or is it still in train?

The Blue Mitchell's are the ones I want. I have a CD of Blue's "Graffiti blues", but it seems to be a compilation.

I also want the 3 LPs Charles Williams recorded to be reissued. There is SERIOUS stuff from Don Pullen, Bubba Brooks and Cornell Dupree on those.

Surprised no one mentioned Auntie Gloria's album for Mainstream; another one I want. She sings on it as well as plays her usual magnificent organ.

Mains 415 isn't by Max Roach/Blue Mitchell - it's a various artists compilation.

On Prestige, I want a LOT!

A boxed set of Freddie McCoy!

Gene Ammons - My way; Free again; Blue Groove.

Willis Jackson - Swivelhips; Gator's Groove; Star Bag; Gatorade; Shuckin'; Neapolitan nights.

Stan Hunter & Sonny Fortune - Trip on the strip

Bobby Timmons - Chicken & Dumplings; Holiday soul

Don Patterson - Holiday soul; Mellow soul; Satisfaction; Soul happening

Freddie Roach - My people

A few Shirley Scott's, including Drag 'em out (there must be more, but I haven't got them on LP)

Leon Spencer - Where I'm coming from; Bad walkin' woman

MAYNARD PARKER - MIDNIGHT RIDER!!!!!!!!!

MAYNARD PARKER - MIDNIGHT RIDER!!!!!!!!!

MG

Edited by The Magnificent Goldberg

Guest akanalog

i have a CD of the shelley manne mainstream date. its aight.

i am surprised no one has mentioned the lamont johnson one!

or was it mentioned?

that one has some F-ed up organ playing on it. not sure it would be to everyones tastes but i think it is cool. the music itself isn't out there, just his wobbly cheap sounding organ tone.

One of our members has put personnel and track listings to some of the Mainstream titles:

Partial Mainstream Discography

As a piano trio aficionado I am curious about the Stan Hope and Reggie Moore sides . I used to see these all the time in the used bins . Stylistically where do these players fit?

Are these records :tup or :tdown ?

Edited by Chas

One of our members has put personnel and track listings to some of the Mainstream titles:

Partial Mainstream Discography

As a piano trio aficionado I am curious about the Stan Hope and Reggie Moore sides . I used to see these all the time in the used bins . Stylistically where do these players fit?

Are these records :tup or :tdown ?

I haven't heard the Stan Hope - that's one I definitely want but forgot to mention above. I have seen him with Houston Person's band and he's a fine pianist; nothing flashy, but he's satisfying. He has this wonderful little habit, when he brings off a particularly felicitous piece of soloing, of leaning back with a surprised smile all over his face, as if to say, "well, didn't THAT work out nicely?" You got to love a musician who does that.

He's been on a good few Houston Person albums on Muse and HighNote and one or two Etta Jones, of course. He's also got two out on Savant himself - "Pastels" (Erroll Garner is a biggish influence on Stan) and "Put on a happy face" - and they're both very good.

I've never seen this on sale either new used or cut out.

Don't know Reggie Moore.

MG

• 3 months later...

Buddy Terry's a Newark saxophonist who did some sides for Prestige & Mainstream in the late 60s/early 70s. Natural Soul on Prestige, the one with Shaw & Young, is my favorite, but Pure Dynamite on Mainstream is a real out-of-left-field treat. Terry's always been a solid blues-based soul-jazz/hard bop player, but on this one he ventures into sort of a stretched out late-60s Miles bag. Not necessary a "great" side, but definitely an "interesting" one.

I thought that he had sorta "disappeared", but apparently not: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/swingadelic2/from/scottp

So hey - Buddy Terry lives!

I'm playing a concert in NJ in a few weeks with Slide Hampton's quintet with Buddy Terry. Wish I checked out those Mainstream LPs. Looking forward to playing with him.

• 4 years later...