The guitar corner

7/4

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The whole thing I think...these are production guitars, not his.

I did it to a guitar once and started with just the 12th fret on up - very strange and when I did the whole neck, it got very warped.

another production guitar:

DSCF0000.JPG

DSCF0002.JPG

I tried one of these out recently, a rosewood Tele. I didn't plug it in, but it had no twang or high end at all. Since I'm wondering what the clean electric sound is like, I might have to go back to Sam Yak and find out.

This one is MIJ, the one I tried was an USA Masterbuilt Fender, priced at almost 5k.

:blink:

So, what does the scalloped fingerboard do for you?

It's like having huge frets, it's really easy to bend strings. John McLaughlin used scalloped fingerboards back in the '70's-80's, Shatki & One Truth bands. He was taking Vina lessons at the time.

Veena_detail.jpg

Close-up of a veena's scalloped fretboard.

Malmsteen got the idea from Blackmore and I don't know where Blackmore got the idea.

Edited by 7/4

a-HA. Interesting.

I'd like to try it, but I think it would drive me crazy. Definitely a learning curve.

Carve up a cheap guitar first. :lol:

One thing I noticed is that when I really dug in and bent a string, it broke. It was hard to play legato too, my fingers just hung up on the strings. Like fretless, I really had to change my approach a bit to get results - not a bad thing.

I think huge frets are enough, but I'm curious about the Blackmore Strat.

http://www.jcfonline.com/gallery/char-strats-pics/char-strat-C800732-greg.jpg

My first guitar was one of these, Charvel circa late 80's. (I started on bass a few years earlier). The frets were huge on it, really easy to play. It was an adjustment going to Gibson necks after that.

Wouldn't a Gibson have a shorter scale neck?

My first guitar was one of these, Charvel circa late 80's. (I started on bass a few years earlier). The frets were huge on it, really easy to play. It was an adjustment going to Gibson necks after that.

Sorry, I was referring to the actual fret wires (which were tall and fat), Gibson has the small ones.

Sorry, I was referring to the actual fret wires (which were tall and fat), Gibson has the small ones.

OK!

RI_02_floral_SML.jpg

Back in the late '80's I think I wanted one of these too. I might have made fun of the JEM guitars in the past, but today I think this looks pretty cool. :alien:

You could pick up one of these from Rondo for only $150! :cool:

wm15.jpg

Uh oh...not quite the same thing! :lol:

I see Rondo is doing their catalog fulfillment from NH. Their long time retail store was not to far from here, they were one of the big local stores before the age of Guitar Center and Sam Ash.

But seriously......... :g

Rondo's guitars all look pretty OK online, but they can't be very good at their prices.

I see people raving about their Agile brand on the net. When the retail store was still open, I tried out some of them and I was underwhelmed. It's almost like the bass I tried was designed from memory, as if someone saw a PBass on MTV and drew up the plans a few weeks later. The stock strings were extra-extra light so when they were tuned up to pitch, they were like rubber bands. Very strange...

Carvin look nice, seem priced right. I only tried their Holdsworth Fat Boy model a few times, I wouldn't mind checking out one again.