The guitar corner

7/4

I don't know too much about EMG pups, just that they make active pups. An active circuit on an electric guitar never really did much for me...I'm not even sure I like it on a bass, but of course it works for the right kind of music.

Amp...Fender clean does it for me. I tend to like 6L6 tubes over 6V6 tubes so I'm into my '67 Bassman these days, it's been a while since I've fired up my '73 Princeton.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Since I've never heard my guitar with the original Gibson pickups (which I have, but the guitar would need to be rewired to install) I'm not even sure what the active pickups even really accomplish, having nothing to compare them to. The only time I notice them is when the battery needs to be changed.

Wow. I didn't think my little mention of that new Tele would raise such a rukus.

It does LOOK cool, though - regardless of how it sounds. Interesting that it has only a volume knob, too.

No ruckus at all, just good friendly guitar geek debate! :) That is a pretty guitar....

Mahogany body...interesting...

Fender Jim Root Artist Series Telecaster Electric Guitar Features:

• Series: Artist
  • Body: Mahogany
  • Neck: C-shaped maple, satin polyurethane finish
  • Fingerboard: Ebony (white), maple (black)
  • Frets: 22 Dunlop® 6100 jumbo frets
  • Scale Length: 25.5" (648 mm)
  • Width at Nut: 1.650" (42 mm)
  • Hardware: Black
  • Machine Heads: Fender deluxe locking tuners, black
  • Bridge: Black six-saddle string-through-body hardtail
  • Pickguard: Single-ply (black or white)
  • Pickups: EMG® 60 (neck), EMG® 81 (bridge)
  • Pickup Switching: 3-position blade
  • Position 1: bridge pickup
  • Position 2: bridge and neck pickups
  • Position 3: neck pickup
  • Controls: Master volume
  • Strings: Fender Standard Tension ST250L, Nickel Plated Steel, gauges .009,
  • .011, .016, .024, .032, .042
  • Unique Features: EMG® pickups, mahogany body, ebony fingerboard, flat finishes

Get to the root of a heavy sound and order this Tele today!

there's guy out in California, I think, called Tweed Amps, but it's being sold by someone he sold it to -

Cool. I used a Brown Princeton in the last band I was in for rehearsals in NYC. Perfect for the gig.

The last series of solo shows I did, I used ported 12" cabs and people were starting to complain occasionally about getting beamed by the sound. It might be time for open cabs for me next time....

I ordered one today so I'll give you a precis when I have it and fool with it.

I hardly play my Ovation Breadwinner and part of the problem is. . . I hate the cheap solid state Marshall combo amp I have. I've wanted a tube amp again.

Yes, a black one, early one with the cord plug on the edge and not the face and with nylon string saddles not brass. The earlier, prettier pickup covers and pickups too.

I really like the guitar.

Mine looks like this, but black "paint" and knobs (though I'm missing a knob!)

bwhiteshp.jpg

Edited by jazzbo

Yes, a black one, early one with the cord plug on the edge and not the face and with nylon string saddles not brass.

I really like the guitar.

...and both times I've played it I couldn't find the cord plug on the edge without flipping the guitar over and looking for it. :g

What is that ... and why does it have so many pickups?

Artist model for Steve Morse of the Dixie Dregs. Lot's o' pick up combinations, I guess. He used to play a heavily modded Tele with a bunch of pickups. Another guitar I should check out, but I've never seen one in a store.