The guitar corner

7/4

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

too much ceramic in them there pickups - it's why guitarists tend to all sound the same today - beat 'em with mids and distortion pedals -

I play without distortion about 90% of the time, the EMGs I have sound really nice in my old Gibson.

too much ceramic in them there pickups - it's why guitarists tend to all sound the same today - beat 'em with mids and distortion pedals -

I play without distortion about 90% of the time, the EMGs I have sound really nice in my old Gibson.

I play without distortion about 99.99% of the time. :blink:

well, no offense intended, guys - and I do like distortion, but the kind you get by playing too loud - and not pre-amp distortion, which is, to me, just annoying buzzing - gotta hear it from the power tubes -

No shit speedo.

well, no offense intended, guys - and I do like distortion, but the kind you get by playing too loud - and not pre-amp distortion, which is, to me, just annoying buzzing - gotta hear it from the power tubes -

Right, which is why I prefer lower wattage amps so you can get the power tubes really cooking. Also, let's make a distinction between overdrive, which is what you're getting when you get the tubes hot and push them, with a distortion which can really just be signal processing.

don't get mad anybody, but I pre-amp distortion annoys me no end, and at the risk of offending the few people here who still like me, I'll tell you why - to me pre-amp distortion is the sound of a certain kind of non-funky suburban rock, a middle-class version of real tube distortion, because it allows you to get noise at polite sound levels, since it's so much easier to overload the pre-amp tubes; and this kind of distortion is mono-chromatic, it doesn't breathe like true over-drive, which is a wonderfully compressed, bottom-up sound. Pre amp distortion is is from the top down sonically; it's cold and, to my ears, lacks the courage of its own muscial convictions -

going after power tube distortion, on the other hand, feels, from my musical point of view, like Ornette summoning up the Southwewestern blues cries of the past in his alto tone - to me power tube distortion done right conjures up Pat Hare and Hubert Sumlin and Willie Johnson -

I do, however, like old-fashioned fuzz -

and watch what you say about my speedo -

Edited by AllenLowe

What type of music you're playing I believe is also a factor for this. If you're playing blues then overdriven tubes would fit the bill...but if you're playing thrash or something then signal processing is what you want (distortion, compression, boost highs, boost lows, cut out all midrange, etc).

and just to add, Danimal, I agree, though when I say distortion I am referring, as well, to that produced by driving the amp's power tubes - though of course there is the kind produced by pedals through a bumping up of certain (mid) frequencies -

Edited by AllenLowe

I do like thrash, which to me at least tries to push the envelope - and does use the forbidden (pre-amp) distortion) - so I guess there are exceptions - though there's still nothing like the real thing, which would probably work great with thrashers of the world -

Edited by AllenLowe