The guitar corner

7/4

Well, anyone ever play a Wishbass?

www.wishbass.com

Okay, so I've had time on my hands, as I'm in a different city for another five months or so helping my wife get through and recover from a matched unrelated donor bone marrow transplant. And I also was surprised with a one time merit raise, very surprised. Last time I was here for months I bought a cheap Strat copy guitar and noodled around with it, then when I got home gave it to a friend. This time I thought I'd get a bass, but the really cheap ones in the stores bite, the guitars were okay but the basses are just rotten. So I was looking on line and saw these "Wishbasses" made by this luthier called Wishnevsky. He uses exotic wood, tries to stay away from metal so the necks are through the body and hefty as hell and no truss rods, and he uses exotic woods and his own or the buyer's body designs. . . . They look cool, they aren't expensive, and they're sort of like works of art. Or really ugly, depending on your taste.

So I was thinking of ordering one but figure it would take a lot of time and the point is I want something to start eating up the time. AND I really don't like that many of his body styles. So I looked on ebay and found one for 290 bucks and decided to buy it last night, because I really like the looks of it, reminds me of Africa:

e736_3.JPG

It's made from persimmon. It will ship today. Also ebayed a really cheap Epiphone practice amp. Going to be fun I think. . . .

Edited by jazzbo

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does anyone here play an Ibanez? I have seen one of their ES-335 type guitars and was quite impressed with it? Any opinions?

Thanks in advance.

Just noticed this. I've been playing a Ibanez AS83 Semi-Hollow guitar for about 14 months now. I like the neck and the body of the guitar. The pickups are a bit muddy and not totally to my liking. The tuners leave a bit to be desired, I've had tuning issues from time to time. It's an OK guitar. I don't trust the build quality enough to gig without a backup. It's really been more of an experiment for me since I picked it up new for $340. I may change the pickups and tuners at some point. Then again I may just sell or trade it. Not bad, but not great.

Just noticed this. I've been playing a Ibanez AS83 Semi-Hollow guitar for about 14 months now. I like the neck and the body of the guitar. The pickups are a bit muddy and not totally to my liking. The tuners leave a bit to be desired, I've had tuning issues from time to time. It's an OK guitar. I don't trust the build quality enough to gig without a backup. It's really been more of an experiment for me since I picked it up new for $340. I may change the pickups and tuners at some point. Then again I may just sell or trade it. Not bad, but not great.

Thanks for the info Sundog, :tup:tup:tup.

Edited by Cliff Englewood

• 4 months later...

press5thave.jpg

GODIN 5TH AVENUE ARCHTOP ACOUSTIC

Premiering at Winter NAMM this Canadian Made Archtop is a Vintage Soul with Serious Tone & Modern Playability

For immediate release:

Montreal, Canada- January 8, 2008 - The Godin 5th Avenue brings you back to a time when the archtop acoustic guitar reigned supreme. With the soul of a 1950’s archtop, the 5th Avenue is a true vintage spirit of yesterday with today’s level of modern playability. With more projection & volume in the low/mids than traditional archtop acoustic guitars, the dynamically rich tone of the 5th Avenue makes this sophisticated instrument a dream to play, but not a nightmare to pay for. The Godin 5th Avenue now makes the affordable North American archtop guitar a reality!

A great deal of time & research went into crafting the 5th Avenue. Revoiced for the music of today, it would not seem unfamiliar for this instrument to be seen in the hands of artists the likes of Jeff Tweedy (Wilco), Ryan Adams, or even Jack White (White Stripes). From Alt-Country, Delta Blues, Slide, Jazz to Rock, the 5th Avenue can really deliver.

Made from Canadian Wild Cherry, the body of the 5th Avenue features a molded arched top and back, as well as an adjustable rosewood bridge, classic f-holes, contoured high-gloss headstock, floating pickguard and cream binding. Also, the rustic beauty of its Custom Polished Finish creates a gorgeous satin sheen reminiscent of the French polish of the 19th century.

The Godin 5th Avenue….the archtop acoustic of the past, for today’s modern musician.

About Godin Guitars:

With its early beginnings in 1972, the Godin Guitar family now includes 6 lines of guitars. These include the renowned Godin electric line, as well as the finely crafted acoustic lines such as Seagull, Simon & Patrick, Norman, Art & Lutherie and LaPatrie nylon stringed classical guitars. Godin Guitars is also the manufacturer of the revolutionary TRIC acoustic guitar case. Based in Montreal Quebec, this Canadian company has 6 factories, 5 of which are located in the Eastern Townships of Quebec and 1 located in Berlin New Hampshire. Godin Guitars is also the Official Exclusive Guitar Sponsor of the John Lennon Educational Tour Bus and Songwriting Contest.

Specs:

Top: Canadian Wild Cherry

Back & Sides: Canadian Wild cherry with cream binding

Neck: Silver Leaf maple with contoured high-gloss black headstock

Fingerboard: Rosewood

Bridge: Adjustable Rosewood Bridge

Finish: Custom Polished Finish Radius: 16" (40,6 cm)

Scale: 24.84" (63 cm) Nut width: 1.72" (4,6 cm)

Colors: Cognac Burst, Natural & Black

Made in Canada

http://www.godinguitars.com/godinpress5thave.html

Hey, guys.

I've only scanned about 1/2 of the posts in this thread, but there's some interesting stuff here. I only recently got back into playing after barely touching my guitar for a LONG time. It's amazing how much I don't know about this stuff these days. It used to be easier - Fender, Gibson, Vox....those were the choices, basically.

Anyway, I'm looking into getting something new. My old, beat-up Tele isn't much fun to play anymore. I'm thinking of either an Epiphone Les Paul Standard or another Tele. I'm putting a $500 limit on myself and these seem do-able.

I recently picked up a little Line 6 amp, too. I haven't had one since I sold my Twin to a friend about 10 years ago. It was too much for the apartment and I wasn't using it anyway.

Hey, guys.

I've only scanned about 1/2 of the posts in this thread, but there's some interesting stuff here. I only recently got back into playing after barely touching my guitar for a LONG time. It's amazing how much I don't know about this stuff these days. It used to be easier - Fender, Gibson, Vox....those were the choices, basically.

Anyway, I'm looking into getting something new. My old, beat-up Tele isn't much fun to play anymore. I'm thinking of either an Epiphone Les Paul Standard or another Tele. I'm putting a $500 limit on myself and these seem do-able.

I recently picked up a little Line 6 amp, too. I haven't had one since I sold my Twin to a friend about 10 years ago. It was too much for the apartment and I wasn't using it anyway.

How can an old, beat-up Tele be no fun to play? Maybe all it needs is some TLC. What's wrong with it?

Ha!

Well......it had already been re-shaped when I bought it. It was also missing the top pickup, which I later replaced (shabbily) with a humbucker. I don't think I wired it right because there's a lot of hum, too. It could also use some fret-work.

So it's not a thing of beauty, that's for sure.

Here it is:

2238608860_e22eeba11f_o.jpg

Ha!

Well......it had already been re-shaped when I bought it. It was also missing the top pickup, which I later replaced (shabbily) with a humbucker. I don't think I wired it right because there's a lot of hum, too. It could also use some fret-work.

So it's not a thing of beauty, that's for sure.

Here it is:

2238608860_e22eeba11f_o.jpg

Wow, the body does look drastically reshaped. I'd salvage the electronics and the neck if it doesn't completely need a refret. But might be speedier and cheaper to just buy another guitar.

If you're looking at a made in Mexico Tele, consider a ASAT Tribute by G&L. G&Ls are designed by George Fullerton and Leo Fender, they had somethin' to do with starting Fender guitars.

Saw Jimmy Bruno at Chris Jazz Cafe last night and he was playing one of these: http://sadowsky.com/index.html

I guess he has his own signature model: http://sadowsky.com/guitars/bruno_archtop.html

He sure does. If I had a chance, I'd try one. Even if I can't afford one.

Any thoughts on Jimmy Bruno?

bruno_sienna_burst.jpg

'dats purddy.

Edited by 7/4

Wow, the body does look drastically reshaped. I'd salvage the electronics and the neck if it doesn't completely need a refret. But might be speedier and cheaper to just buy another guitar.

If you're looking at a made in Mexico Tele, consider a ASAT Tribute by G&L. G&Ls are designed by George Fullerton and Leo Fender, they had somethin' to do with starting Fender guitars.

Yeah......as I said, it's kind of a mess, structurally. That's why I'm thinking of getting something new.

How much are those G&Ls?

B,

I bought a fretless "Wishbass" made by Steve Wishnevsky and LOVE it. It's so easy to play and quite an interesting sounding axe. If I were ready to buy a guitar, I'd query him--seems that around your price point you could have a unique guitar (literally, he'd build one to your design).

www.wishnevsky.com

www.wishbass.com

Yeah......as I said, it's kind of a mess, structurally. That's why I'm thinking of getting something new.

How much are those G&Ls?

Less than $500 and I wouldn't sneeze at getting something like this used.

edit: I'm finding $489 on the net. Looks like the price went up a little bit. Still....nice guitars.

Edited by 7/4

He makes electrics too. If I played more guitar I'd order one because the bass is so wonderful, but I don't play enough to warrant it and will stick with my old Ovation Breadwinner solidbody (which is a nice guitar!)

I wouldn't even know where to start - design-wise.

Less than $500 and I wouldn't sneeze at getting something like this used.

edit: I'm finding $489 on the net. Looks like the price went up a little bit. Still....nice guitars.

Good to know. I'll keep them in mind.

Still leaning towards an Epiphone Les Paul Standard at this point.

Of course, if you take three of the strings off a 12string guitar, the unused tuners tend to rattle. So maybe a custom 9 string guitar isn't a bad idea, root & 5ths power chords on the bottom with unison strings jangling away on the top.