Mosaics on E-Bay and the "domestic diva"

:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

I'm having a hard time figuring out which one makes me more ballastic....

Someone I think making $300 million while you are in the joint and leaving prison on a private jet... kinda makes me hate the capitalist system even more...

Knowing my luck.. she was probably the person who sold that fool on AAJ the Nat King Cole set for $900...

:(:(:(:(

What's the big deal with eBay?

I have spent thousands of dollars on Mosaic sets, and most of that money was spent purchasing Mosaics on eBay. You have to understand that many of us did not even hear about Mosaic until many of their greatest sets, like the Andrew Hill and Jones/Lewis sets, were OOP. eBay has provided me the opportunity to catch up, and it's not likely I would have had that opportunity any other way. And when I think about some of the sets that cost me the most, like the two I mentioned above ($365 and $350, respectively), I'm positive I was happier having those sets and the music therein than the sellers were having my money. eBay is a wonderful thing. :tup

I have less issue with people who "buy" Mosaics from e-bay than people who sell them...

I know there must be people out there who buy the Mosaics ONLY to turn a profit on e-bay... thus expoiting Mosaic, the artist and those of us who really want the music...

does that help?

I don't think that's exploitation at all. Mosaic is a business, and they're trying to make money too. I'm sure they (and the artists) would rather have people buying their sets, regardless of the reason, than have the licenses on those sets expire before they sell all 5000 (or 3000 or 7500 or 10,000 or whatever) of them.

If fewer sets are bought before the licenses run out, then that's fewer copies available for sale (used) after the sets go OOP.

That's one of the reasons the Larry Young box sells for so darn much. It timed-out long before it got to its pressing limit. Wasn't the limit like 7,500, and maybe only 4,000 were made?? (We kinda had this figured out on the old BNBB, based on the highest number anyone had ever seen on a Larry Young set. Anybody remember the number??)

If a lot more people had bought them on speculation (so the run went all the way to 7,500), but only to sell when they were OOP --- then overall, the prices on eBay would be somewhat cheaper now. Not a whole lot cheaper, but somewhat.

It's not the re-sellers' fault the licensing restricts both the number of sets made, and the time they're available for sale.

And don't blame Mosaic either -- because I'm sure those limitations are one of the things that helps sales. How many of us, myself included, have bought a Mosaic set that was gonna go OOP soon, only because we were on the fence about a purchase, and didn't want to later learn we really wanted something, only to have to pay higher prices on eBay.

The licensing limitations are part of what drives sales, and anything that can drive sales in a market as small as jazz, is probably a good thing.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

What's the big deal with eBay?

I have spent thousands of dollars on Mosaic sets, and most of that money was spent purchasing Mosaics on eBay.  You have to understand that many of us did not even hear about Mosaic until many of their greatest sets, like the Andrew Hill and Jones/Lewis sets, were OOP.  eBay has provided me the opportunity to catch up, and it's not likely I would have had that opportunity any other way.  And when I think about some of the sets that cost me the most, like the two I mentioned above ($365 and $350, respectively), I'm positive I was happier having those sets and the music therein than the sellers were having my money.  eBay is a wonderful thing.  :tup

I totally agree. I have bought many Mosaics on Ebay, and sold a few too. You have little chance of finding sold-out LP sets elsewhere, CDs are hard to find also. There have been times when I knew I was not going to listen to a particular set, so listing it on Ebay gives someone else an opportunity to enjoy it and I get to buy a new set with the proceeds. So what's wrong with that? :unsure:

I have less issue with people who "buy" Mosaics from e-bay than people who sell them...

I know there must be people out there who buy the Mosaics ONLY to turn a profit on e-bay... thus expoiting Mosaic, the artist and those of us who really want the music...

does that help?

I don't understand this line of thinking.

Mosaic sets are basically for collectors. You can get most of the stuff by buying individual cds--not all but most of the sessions.

Mosaic limits their supply. They're for collectors. So of course you will get a lot of trading on ebay along with irrational price swings. So what?

I own less than five Mosaic sets and couldn't care less if I don't ever buy another. I just bought the Patton Select when I had every session on cd except "That Certain Feeling" which will probably be reissued some time. I bought it for that session alone, and because I can afford it if I want to. Yes, I've got the bread to buy some of these things, but I won't pay much on ebay; and my wife begs me to moderate my habits. I do hold off on lots of stuff. We have to have a balanced life.

I am utterly convinced that everything will eventually be reissued; and this constitutes for many of us, a repeat purchase.

not really sure I understand your point...

Are you saying that there aren't ANY people who buy Mosaics exclusively to make a profit off of them on E-bay???? If you are, I modestly disagree...

I do agree with you that 90+% of us who buy Mosaics are jazz collectors/fans...

but overall I'm not sure I get your point???

:unsure:

not really sure I understand your point...

Are you saying that there aren't ANY people who buy Mosaics exclusively to make a profit off of them on E-bay???? If you are, I modestly disagree...

Mine was a rambling post for sure.

Yes, I wouldn't be surprised that you do have people who buy up Mosaics to resell them later on. Again, so what? What exactly do you expect with collector's editions?

Mosaic is trying to make a profit; and hopefully, the estates of the artists get their due benefits as well.

Mosaic sells this music without taking any chances. The artists are well-known. They just have to remaster and repackage the material. They make only a limited supply, which contains their costs and encourages their selling. Again, I don't see what there is to get upset about that.

I can buy Mosaics sets to make a profit if I want! What the hell is wrong with this? Technically, it's a risk on my part. There is no "guarantee" that my purchase will continually appreciate. It's not a great investment if you're looking to make a quick buck. They rarely get big bucks for quite a while after they're oop.

Mosaic doesn't care if I buy it or someone else buys it, they just want to sell it. How many sets have timed out already, probably making it a losing venture for Mosaic? I repeat, Mosaic does not care who buys these sets, so long as they sell!

Kevin

PS: What the hell does Mosaics on eBay have to do with Matha Stewart??? Twisted stuff.

What the hell does Mosaics on eBay have to do with Matha Stewart???

Mosaic discs can be made into lovely centerpieces for your holiday table, that's what.

:lol::lol:

Re: Martha Stewart

I've never been her fan and she doesn't seem to be a very nice person, but that's hearsay.

My issue is that I believe she was a scapegoat. There are so many people who are way more guilty of these types of crimes than she was. I think it's

hilarious that she's better off now than she was before she went to prison.

If lying is grounds for imprisonment, there's a big line forming in DC.

Edited by AfricaBrass

You know, I don't know how many times a year we debate this stupid issue but it never goes anywhere. If people want to buy to sell on ebay, who cares? It's a free country and they can do what they darn please. If you're going to complain that it's just people with money doing that and they're ruining it for those that don't have money, that's just the way of the world. It's the golden rules: he who has the gold rules. If you don't want to play the ebay victim or pay high prices, buy your sets now.

I'm actually very thankful to the people who buy collections of Mosaics and sell them on eBay for a profit. I'm pretty sure the person who sold the collection to the profiteer is also happy.

I think the original poster is really upset with high prices, which has nothing to do with the person selling them for a profit.

Lame ass red herring.

as someone who is the original poster.. and has over 20 Mosaic sets... I don't have anything to feel "jealous" about....

It's kinda stunning that people don't get my point... Which is I don't have to LIKE that people make profit off of Mosaic sets....

I understand market economics (and the long and obnoxious thread that got started the last time I mentioned this)....

It's one thing if you don't agree with my view... (which is fine).... but enough already...

geez... that's the last time I bring the E-*** issue....

:angry:<_<:blink::angry: