Dewey and Joshua Redman

Guest che

Hi.

I have just put on "Moodswing' by the Joshua Redman Quartet, I like this album very much and the music of Joshua. I also have the album "Living On The Edge" by his father Dewey which is a very fine album in itself

Redman junior is a very fine jazz musician and a very educated guy, and for me this is reflected in his music.

Anyone like the music of Joshua or indeed his father?

Che.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Guy. Joshua had great promise (I actually saw him win the Monk competition), but somehow his records just didn't cut it for me.

Dewey is one of my three favorite living musicians, along with Wayne and Jackie.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

I saw Dewey a few years back and he was remarkable. I keep meaning to buy this which has some of the tunes he was playing at the time:

liveinlondon.jpg

Most of the recordings I have of his come from the 70s - the wonderful Jarrett American band, some of Carla Bley's recordings, and my favourite Pat Metheny disc, '80/81'.

I bought a few Joshua Redman CDs in the mid-90s but found they wern't walking back to the CD player very often.

Joshua is playing the Cheltenham Festival in late April...there might be a UK tour.

I saw Dewey a few years back and he was remarkable. I keep meaning to buy this which has some of the tunes he was playing at the time:

liveinlondon.jpg

Most of the recordings I have of his come from the 70s - the wonderful Jarrett American band, some of Carla Bley's recordings, and my favourite Pat Metheny disc, '80/81'.

I bought a few Joshua Redman CDs in the mid-90s but found they wern't walking back to the CD player very often.

Joshua is playing the Cheltenham Festival in late April...there might be a UK tour.

Yes I saw this.

I have already booked to see Ornette Coleman and Marcus Stockhausen.

Che.

100% with you on the Jarrett and 80/81. Other great stuff with Dewey -- Ornette's Science Fiction ("Happy House"! not so hot on BNs with Garrison and Jones, though), Old & New Dreams (classic version of "Lonely Woman"). And he appeared on a few tunes on Tom Harrell's great Art of Rhythm ( :tup ) -- there's one track that sounds a little like something from Bitches Brew and has a short but tasty Dewey solo.

Anybody ever heard the Squirrel Nut Zippers CD with Dewey's guest appearance?

Guy

Joshua Redman's recent discs with Sam Yahel and Brian Blade are fantastic, imo. Yaya3 and Elastic get plenty of spins from me (the former more than the latter, however). Yahel is a truly underrated talent and one of my favorite of the new crop of organists and Brian Blade is... well... frickin' amazing, as always.

Joshua Redman's recent discs with Sam Yahel and Brian Blade are fantastic, imo. Yaya3 and Elastic get plenty of spins from me (the former more than the latter, however). Yahel is a truly underrated talent and one of my favorite of the new crop of organists and Brian Blade is... well... frickin' amazing, as always.

I second this ... but I'm the other way around, liking Elastic a little better than Yaya3 ... to me it sounds a little more cohesive. Regarding Blade, I know he's been pretty busy lately as a sideman, but I wish he'd put out another disc as a leader already.

Yes, agree!!! :tup:tup

Although Joshua's records don't really capture what a fine horn player he is like his shows do, some of his records are really nice. "Mood Swing" which has already been mentioned is excellent, as is "Wish", his sophmore release with Pat Metheny, Charlie Haden and Billy Higgins. Like others here, I also enjoy his newer ones with Yahel and Blade. Talk about a band not to be f**ked with!!

You're right, jlhoots, about the SF Jazz disc. Its excellent. I think if it had been released in stores, it would be getting alot more attention than it is.

Edited by sal

Well, sure, everbody's a voice in one way or another, but Dewey...

Dewey's a defining voice. Or, a master.

Whatever, Dewey's in a whole 'nother place than Joshua (who, again, is a fine player), and I've not seen much to lead me to expect that it will ever be elsewise.

Jim I do think that Joshua Redman is a very fine tenor player. His star faded away somehow and he is steadily making his way to the overlooked category.

He has "great ears" (you know what I mean, not in the physical sense :g ) and a fine sense of form and development.

That said I admit that I haven't heard Dewey's music as much as Joshua's, only on some Ornette and Don Cherry dates. I need to hear more Dewey for sure.