Kind Of Blue

Jazz Kat

Which Kind Of Blue Track you like the most  

69 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

How did she know to pick that one out of all the rest. She dont know anything about jazz. But never-the-less my parents were the reasons for me getting into jazz, in the very very very beginning. My dad showed me the music, my mother always put on the jazz station in the car, all those summers driving around to doctors, friends', supermarkets, and jazz. But I branched out on my own really far now, and my parents dont have a clue what I listen to 95% of the time. :g

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always felt So What and Freddie freeloader were similar, that's why I like them the same. In order form least to greatest(reverse that) is, I like All Blues the best, then Freddie F. and So What together, then Blue In Green, then lastly Flameco Sketches.

Edited by Jazz Kat

I voted Freddie Freeloader because it's a good goddam tune.

For me this is one of the tracks that defines 'cool jazz', it has so much going for it, so much atmosphere and clarity.

Even my wife likes this track ;)

Che.

I voted for *So What*.

Me too. The KOB tune with the most "attitude". B-)

Yes 'So What' is a great track, for me I like some of the 'live' versions of this track, rather than the one on the album. I guess with this album it is all relative since it is so good.

Che.

I went with "So What". There's something about that tune, leading off the album, building up the tension like it does and then the release, at which point the listener realizes they're up against something pretty new and different. I can only imagine what it must have been like to be a jazz fan and to have heard this when it was first released in 1959. I mean hearing it with "virgin ears" without all the hype that now accompanies the recording. How cool would that have been?

Up over and out.

I usually keep my head down in discussions of this album, but I have to admit that it leaves me a bit cold... :ph34r:

Is that more to do with familiarity or that it does little for you?

Che.

"Considered by many to be the greatest, most influential and possibly largest selling jazz album of all time!"

i tend to start playing all blues first, then go on to so what and let it play out from there. it's still a kick sharing the whole kind of blue experience with someone who listens to it the first time, too.

I suspect it could be a little bit of both - On the first few listens, it just didn't really appeal, and from there, I guess I was less and less willing to keep trying. Could have been a few things: 1) me being bloody minded because this is a record everyone likes (I hope it's not this!) 2) a subconscious variant on the 1) (a shame, but not quite so dumb) 3) I'm not really that pre-disposed to Miles Davis' playing on the whole...

Obviously, as with any other music, I'd never try (nor would I be able anyway) to talk someone into or out of liking it. I guess this is just one particularly egregious example of people's tastes not conforming!

When I statred learning how to play bass I took a music improvisation class where one assignment was to be able to walk the bassline to So What. I got the intro down and got to jam on the lick with a few soloists. It was hard to do and I never really developed my jazz skills past that point, but it was a great way to learn to play and be introduced to jazz at the same time.

I became better at listening to music rather than playing it. I just gave up far too early! :huh:

So What has a special place in my heart, but I love All Blues just as much now, if not more!