This board needs a clear mission statement

Guest DizzySpells

Guest DizzySpells

Edit: Re who got smeared.

Just today?

Flurin is a bully.

Nobody spoke up. As usual.

I'm repeating myself.

P.S.: Ask some of the people who left to write you up a list. It's been circulating here long enough. A cut-and-paste job should do it.

Edited by DizzySpells

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This board simply needs to GET A GRIP. For God's sake, people, calm down and deal with it... things are getting all blown out of proportion. You know what? If people want to take a break from the board, LET THEM. I really like Hans, Brownie, etc., and I hope that they come back, but now some folks are calling for the board to be shut down. That's absurd--and HIGHLY disrespectful to the vast majority of us who enjoy this board and use it respectfully on a daily basis. If Jim A. says "Screw it, this ain't worth it," fine, it's his board... but discussions like this one seem to me to only be adding to the aggravation, rather than alleviating it. A lot of pissing contests going on that I wish were going on offboard. Nevertheless I'll deal with it and stop reading threads if they start to annoy me... plus we now have the long-sought IGNORE function. So what's the problem?

Guest DizzySpells

This board simply needs to GET A GRIP. For God's sake, people, calm down and deal with it... things are getting all blown out of proportion. You know what? If people want to take a break from the board, LET THEM. I really like Hans, Brownie, etc., and I hope that they come back, but now some folks are calling for the board to be shut down. That's absurd--and HIGHLY disrespectful to the vast majority of us who enjoy this board and use it respectfully on a daily basis. If Jim A. says "Screw it, this ain't worth it," fine, it's his board... but discussions like this one seem to me to only be adding to the aggravation, rather than alleviating it. A lot of pissing contests going on that I wish were going on offboard. Nevertheless I'll deal with it and stop reading threads if they start to annoy me... plus we now have the long-sought IGNORE function. So what's the problem?

The ignore funtion won't take care of this one.

Guest DizzySpells

4.  You need to relax a little.

Yes, please. Just a little.

Just saw AB's post; I'm also not aware of who got "smeared". Were they not able to stand up for themselves? I'll back people up if I think they've been wrongly attacked, and if I think it's worth the effort.

Joe.

I asked you before to say it out loud.

Tell me to shut up and I will, instantly.

Just today?

Flurin is a bully.

I'm repeating myself.

P.S.: Ask some of the people who left to write you up a list. It's been circulatinhg here long enough. A cut-and-paste job should do it.

I'd love to see this list.

I've seen disagreements here and there, but I had no idea of the scope of the frustration.

:(

I joined the BNBB back in 2001 and got a glimpse of how it could be at its best; the decline started shortly afterwards. I then followed a small crowd over to the Harlem board, and then after on or two days further to the AAJ, and ultmately landed here at Organissimo.

For various reasons I was barely active here from February 2004 until February this year. Mainly because we moved to a new location which lacked an Internet connection. When I returned, everything here more or less appeared to be as usual, except that there was much talk about nastiness on the board and stuff like that - in threads that typically seemed to generate as much more nastiness as possible. Just during the last couple of days, though, something has gone terribly wrong.

I will always remember Lon as the guy who introduced the word "internetish". Roughly, it's the kind of over-reaction to what someone says - often caused by either wilful or just outrageous misconception of what someone else is saying - which is all too typical of Internet message boards. Usually this reaction provokes participants in a discussion to be nasty and and unfriendly, in a way that often is not even remotely typical of their "real-life" (or previous on-line) behaviour.

For some reason lots of people around here seem to have gone completely "internetish" during the last weeks. For me, as a relative outsider, this is very apparent, and frankly almost hard to believe. Flame wars, arguments about all and nothing, resulting in public anouncements of departures as well as silent drop-outs. That Jim Alfredson has managed to stay calm during all this shows a supreme and almost supernatural self control.

The board activity appears to have reach an all time high lately. That is perhaps not only for the good. Too feverish activity in the various threads can make people stop thinking one extra time before hitting the "submit" button. When the flame war has started it becomes even more important to post as quickly as possible - a few surplus seconds and someone else sneaks in between. As a result, what is posted is given less and less consideration, and if you're going internetish, that is the worst thing that could happen.

I would be very sad if these forums had to go. The only thing I can think of to change the current development is so obvious, and at the same time completely impossible: I'm going to post as thoughtfully as possible in a small amount of threads with mostly music-related subjects. As I don't post much, and perhaps not even thoughfully enough, my few posts will of course drown in the mass of ongoing internetish-ness. But I can only hope that there are enough of other members as well that will continue to do what once made this community so great.

How about this: tomorrow noone is allowed to post more that ten posts. Eight of those must be in the music-related forums, and this is really hard: all posts must have a meaning.

(During my typing probably 50 posts will have been made in this thread, but some things must be allowed to take their time)

Guest DizzySpells

Just today?

Flurin is a bully.

I'm repeating myself.

P.S.: Ask some of the people who left to write you up a list. It's been circulatinhg here long enough. A cut-and-paste job should do it.

I'd love to see this list.

I've seen disagreements here and there, but I had no idea of the scope of the frustration.

:(

I'm waiting for one just one other person to vent their frustration here.

And yes, there's plenty of it.

Not all of it has to do with smearing other people. I think most of that is either only caught onto if you follow a thread closely, and some people are really good at phrasing their negative stuff.

Come on guys (and girls), let's not play dumb here.

Edited by DizzySpells

How about this: tomorrow noone is allowed to post more that ten posts. Eight of those must be in the music-related forums, and this is really hard: all posts must have a meaning.

Daniel, you know I think highly of you. :D:tup

There seems to be a real push to define the type of posts that we make around here. Is that part of what's going on? I never really thought there were any rules to posting, except to be friendly and respectful. Is this part of the frustration?

I've sensed an undercurrent and I'm just trying to get a handle on what people are thinking. I don't mean any offense.

Just today?

Flurin is a bully.

I'm repeating myself.

P.S.: Ask some of the people who left to write you up a list. It's been circulating here long enough. A cut-and-paste job should do it.

That's me, btw, in case some are not aware of it.

You're all welcome to bring me some love. First thing would be to stick together a bit... (thanks to John B!)

I'm waiting for one just one other person to vent their frustration here.

And yes, there's plenty of it.

Not all of it has to do with smearing other people. I think most of that is either only caught onto if you follow a thread closely, and some people are really good at phrasing their negative stuff.

Come on guys (and girls), let's not play dumb here.

Maybe I am dumb. :P

I just figure some are negative in general, others are positive, and the rest are in-between. I have always tried to stand up for those that were being treated unfairly, but I guess I'm missing something.

Just today?

Flurin is a bully.

I'm repeating myself.

You're all welcome to bring me some love. First thing would be to stick together a bit... (thanks to John B!)

Oh. ^_^

Hi Flurin! I've always known you as the King. :D

I don't think you're a bully. :tup

Your loyal subject,

AB

Here comes some love... :wub:

I haven't read more than the first post yet, but my response would be...

You don't have to read every thread here. No one's forcing you to follow a thread and grow increasingly upset or discouraged with the "direction" this board is going. If you do become upset and offended by something, take a few days off and chill out.

The big-O need no "clear mission statement." It's simply a mighty cool place where jazz fans can hang out, chat about jazz or just about anything they care to chat about. That's what we like about it.

Just today?

Flurin is a bully.

I'm repeating myself.

Oh. ^_^

Your loyal subject,

AB

Thanks Jeff! I can really need it. I'm feeling awfully cold at this moment.

Just today?

Flurin is a bully.

I'm repeating myself.

Oh. ^_^

Your loyal subject,

AB

Thanks Jeff! I can really need it. I'm feeling awfully cold at this moment.

I'm really sorry.

I hope you know you are among friends.

2. YOU seem to think that the ship is sinking. Some apparently think it's taking on too much water. I think it may be slightly off course, but I don't understand why you're heading for the lifeboats. I know it's not difficult to read around, but my impressions of what I'm reading may differ from yours. I like to ignore almost all threads and posts that don't interest me or cause me to want to respond.

:tup