Complete Clef/Verve Count Basie and more!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris Albertson's liner notes take the reader through each and every recording, in addition to laying out what was happening to the band outside the booth; details that suggest he's had access to everyone's date book from the period.

BTW Chris, were those date books also buried in some closet in your apartment? :rolleyes:

These are fairly early in the New Testament Band history, and I like them, though there is less powerful soloing and more emphasis on swinging and section work (or so it appears to me). And this is sort of like dancing material; my inlaws would dance al whole evening to this stuff no problem!

So. . . not the best material in this Mosaic in my estimation, but nice stuff to hear.

Can some post some info about the Dance Sessions. AMG had no meaningful information about them.

The two sessions I have on LP were released in the Uk as " Basie Roars Again" and " King of Swing" ( I think) both on the Encore label - which I presume to be a budget label.

Both Lps are identical to Dance Session and Dance Session 2 LPs. Pretty routine material really doesn't stand out to me as being dance orientated. The material on Dance Session 2 is significantly better though

I've a couple of the Count Basie Dance Sessions on LP , the sound isn't particularly good ( distortion on louder passages), here's hoping it'll be improved on..................

I'm happy to see these words on the discography page:

Mastered using 24-bit resolution by Malcolm Addey at the Malcolm Addey Studio, New York City

Hopefully Addey worked some magic on some of those early 50s sessions

I've a couple of the Count Basie Dance Sessions on LP , the sound isn't particularly good ( distortion on louder passages), here's hoping it'll be improved on..................

I'm happy to see these words on the discography page:

Mastered using 24-bit resolution by Malcolm Addey at the Malcolm Addey Studio, New York City

Hopefully Addey worked some magic on some of those early 50s sessions

And hopefully there's improvement in the sound of the 2 albums with Joe Williams which, based on their currently available early '90's CD issues, could use it.

According to the Mosaic discography page, the original tapes for this Joe Williams session are lost, so Addey's talents will be put to the test here:

(K) COUNT BASIE AND HIS ORCHESTRA: Reunald Jones, Wendell Culley, Thad Jones, Joe Newman (tp), Bill Hughes, Henry Coker, Benny Powell (tb), Marshal Royal (cl, as), Bill Graham (as), Frank Wess (as, ts, fl), Frank Foster (ts), Charlie Fowlkes (bari, b-cl), Count Basie (p), Freddie Green (g), Eddie Jones (b), Sonny Payne (d), Joe Williams (vcl).

Fine Sound, NYC, May 17, 1955

2347-2 Every Day (I Have The Blues) (JW-vcl) (EW-arr) Clef 89149 (78 and 45)

2348-5 The Comeback (JW-vcl) (FF-arr) Clef 89149 (45)

2349-2 Alright, O.K., You Win (JW-vcl) (FF-arr) Clef 89152

2350-3 (In The Evening) When The Sun Goes Down (JW-vcl) (FF-arr) -

Note: All titles issued on Clef MGC 678. This session is usually given as being recorded on July 26, 1955.

Can you guys compare this to the Live Roulette Box set??? I've got that one and I originally wasn't interested in another Basie box... but as I listen again to the Roulette set.... making me slightly reconsider...

Anybody got both previous Basie boxes????

Hm... this one's got me perplexed.

-_- -_- :blink::blink:

I've got both Roulette boxes.

I prefer the Roulette material myself, BUT I have almost all this Norgan/Clef etc. material and enjoy it as well. The Roulette sports a homogeneity that this one won't quite have. . . . Still, there's lots of great Basie, both before and after these sets.

If you don't have the Decca material within the three cd set I think that is more essential to have than this upcoming Mosaic. . . . TIMELESS music.

• 1 month later...

Anybody got both previous Basie boxes????

I have the Roulettes on vinyl and they are both magnificent (see separate thread about 'mint' Live set just sold on ebay for nearly $600 :o ). I'll hold off on the Clef for the time being but will buy this one in due course. The Roulette material is just timeless and a great tribute to Teddy Reig, as well as Basie himself. The booklets for both sets are particularly informative too.