What exists on Charlie Parker on Film.

Hardbopjazz

There is a film of him with Coleman Hawkins in the Verve studios. The music and the film are not synchronized however. I am not even sure how much film exists. I have only seen clips of it in the Bird documentary that was directed by Gary Giddins.

JAMMIN' (aka J.A.T.P.) 1950 - 11mins - Directed by Gjon Mili

Long thought lost, here is Gjon Mili's unreleased follow-up to "Jammin' The Blues." Although "Celebrity" & "Ballade" (both featuring Charlie Parker) have long been available on albums, and some of the footage of Bird appears in the film "Celebrating Bird," the majority of the film is new, and the solos are magnificent throughout. In addition to Bird, the musicians include Lester Young, Coleman Hawkins, Bill Harris, Flip Phillips, Sweets Edison, Hank Jones, Ray Brown, Buddy Rich & Ella Fitzgerald

http://www.jazzonfilm.com/atozdocub.html

Edited by Claude

I haven't really found a really great disk from Charlie except old tunes from the late 40's where the sound is terrible. So film, would be an even greater challenge.

Try the Dial and Savoy studio recordings instead of live discs :)

The picture quality of the "Jammin'" movie is very good.

I mentioned "The Greatest Jazz Films Ever" DVD the other day on the Ahmad Jamal thread. This is an absolute must have for any serious listener. Two discs chock full of great tunes and great players. The Sound of Jazz segment is worth the price of adminssion by itself (for that matter, just Lester's all too brief but incredibly bluesy solo on Billie's "Fine and Mellow" is worth the entire cost) but that's only a small slice of the total package. Buy with confidence. As George Zimmer from the Men's Warehouse says, "I guarantee it."

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

Hot House and the "JATP" film are included in a 2 disc dvd set titled Greatest Jazz Films Ever. The set also includes Jammin' the Blues, The Sound of Jazz, The Sound of Miles Davis and some other snippets.

...good set; picked my up a Dusty Groove about a year ago; bastards! B-)

bird on film

hello bird lovers.

there are three films with charlie parker:

1. the famouse hot house with dizzy gillespie

2. the norman granz jazz at the philharmonic "trailer" improvisation

with coleman hawkins (ballad) and in trio (celebrity)

and most rare

3.some short silent bird sitting on a table writing autographs on

little

cards or pieces of paper. front. handling with his sax. from oblique

above

and from behind. only his hands. very short movie.

it is from november. 21. 1950 from the warm-up room in the concert

hall in

gothenburg. sweden. it was taken by bo tak. 16 at the time and later

film

photographer for sweden television. it´s a 16-mm silent film clip

about one

minute long showing parker both as he warms up and as he signs

autographs.

does any of you bird afficionados knows more films with bird?

keep boppin´

marcel

this short film of charlie parker was shown in a documentary by jan horne from norwegian television in 1990. it shows also the hot house sequence with dizzy and the close up of bird´s face of norman granz´ "improvisation". (i think the entire film was not known in 1990). together with chan parker, harlod jefta (saxist, who can play every parker solo) and harvey cropper (who taught bird to paint in oils) they met in chan´s house in champmotteux. i think this film was (or is) avaiable on the kjazz lable (vhs).

keep boppin´

marcel

• 4 weeks later...

I mentioned "The Greatest Jazz Films Ever" DVD the other day on the Ahmad Jamal thread.  This is an absolute must have for any serious listener.  Two discs chock full of great tunes and great players.  The Sound of Jazz segment is worth the price of admission by itself (for that matter, just Lester's all too brief but incredibly bluesy solo on Billie's "Fine and Mellow" is worth the entire cost) but that's only a small slice of the total package.  Buy with confidence.

Amen to that. This is the one essential DVD set that anyone who loves jazz must own. Bird, Dizzy, Pres, Monk, Miles + Gil Evans, Coltrane, Billie Holiday, Basie -- what else could you want?

• 8 years later...