What Are You Watching

Halt And Catch Fire AMC

haltandcatchfire-2.png

I binge watched the first five episodes and am addicted.

I'm glad you are enjoying Tyrant, Lol, but I'm sorry to say I have given up, it's just too silly for me.

The premise might have been interesting but is ruined by the English speaking Arabs, the would be successor to the late king gives his big speech to a crowd of Arabs in English FGS, hopelessly miscast non Arab lead role who looks like he was invited to a boring party, whining wife and bratty kids and several other things I found totally ridiculous.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Americans hate subtitles, if you put a show on the air with a lot of subtitles you are pretty much guaranteed people will turn the channel. Just the way it is. Thus everybody speaks English, even when they shouldn't.

Edited by Shawn

Halt And Catch Fire AMC

haltandcatchfire-2.png

I binge watched the first five episodes and am addicted.

I'm glad you are enjoying Tyrant, Lol, but I'm sorry to say I have given up, it's just too silly for me.

The premise might have been interesting but is ruined by the English speaking Arabs, the would be successor to the late king gives his big speech to a crowd of Arabs in English FGS, hopelessly miscast non Arab lead role who looks like he was invited to a boring party, whining wife and bratty kids and several other things I found totally ridiculous.

I agree it's ridiculous, but so is Halt and Catch Fire imo, that's one of the most unrealistic shows I've ever watched. I expect ridiculous from TV.

Edited by jazzbo

p01zwvm3.jpg

"The Honourable Woman"

A new BBC series - espionage, terrorism, a Middle Eastern dimension.

Just watched episode 1. Very impressive. One of those complex, elusive things that has you guessing. Promising.

I've also finally got round to:

Broadchurch.jpg

Which is engaging but I'd expected something more given all the excitement over it. Suffers from that ITV thing of being chunked down between adverts; even when there are no adverts the gaps show. Also all the suspects wander round looking like suspects!

Edited by A Lark Ascending

I enjoyed the first episode of The Honourable Woman very much, and managed to follow the plotline without any headscratching.

Maggie Gyllenhaal's British pronunciation was a real bobbydazzler.

I couldn't understand the praise heaped on Broadchurch. I thought it was all right, no more than that.

Here is the trailer for Gracepoint, the US remake of Broadchurch also starring David Tennant, with Anna Gunn from Breaking Bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9IWvbbZPZc

Surprised they're keeping Tennant. He mumbles through the series. Maybe they'll retrain him to say things like 'Awesome'.

Can't imagine the Dorset accents of the other characters would go down well in Fox-land. Though you'll miss the best part of the programme - the Dorset landscapes. Where is the USA's Jurassic Coast?

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Here is the trailer for Gracepoint, the US remake of Broadchurch also starring David Tennant, with Anna Gunn from Breaking Bad.

Surprised they're keeping Tennant. He mumbles through the series. Maybe they'll retrain him to say things like 'Awesome'.

Can't imagine the Dorset accents of the other characters would go down well in Fox-land. Though you'll miss the best part of the programme - the Dorset landscapes. Where is the USA's Jurassic Coast?

I am really surprised that this warrants a remake. I'll rewatch Happy Valley instead. Happy-Valley-011.jpg

Edited by kinuta

As with most US TV series these days it was actually filmed in Canada (British Columbia) because of the tax breaks and other incentives. Took a tour of Warner Bros. studios recently and only 1 outdoor set was in use, most of their TV series are shooting elsewhere because it's cheaper.

29.05.2014_29.05.2014_816_ba%C5%9Fkanlar

Found this a bit dull. The central story-line was a bit thin, padded out by joining the dots on as many key civil rights events as they could get the main characters involved in.

I wish they'd put the 90s series 'I'll Fly Away' on DVD. Now that series had real depth.

I avoided this, it looked like something as manipulative as Forrest Gump. No thanks.

Found this a bit dull. The central story-line was a bit thin, padded out by joining the dots on as many key civil rights events as they could get the main characters involved in.

I wish they'd put the 90s series 'I'll Fly Away' on DVD. Now that series had real depth.

I avoided this, it looked like something as manipulative as Forrest Gump. No thanks.

Forrest Gump was better. :shrug[1]::tophat:

At the moment I am here, but in about a half hour we will jump into the first episode of Boardwalk Empire. Wonder how long it will take us to see all episodes.

An interesting show, I'd love to hear your impressions. I watched the first three seasons pretty quickly. Liked, not loved this series overall though.

Sounds like I made the right decision! Forrest Gump goes into my "technically well-made piece of shit" category.

Recently finished

Community_S3_DVD.jpg

The Pillows vs. Blankets episodes were great.

Now watching

The_Middle,_season_1_DVD_cover.jpg

I don't know what the production connection might be between these two series, but I noticed characters in each series eat the "Let's" brand of potato chips. :)

Sounds like I made the right decision! Forrest Gump goes into my "technically well-made piece of shit" category.

That is exactly the category in which The Butler belongs. I can't believe Hollywood still feels compelled to lavish tons of awards on such simple-minded, manipulative drivel.

Mission:Impossible, Season 1, Episode 26. "A Cube Of Sugar". Score by Don Ellis. Not "great" but I'm begun watching the show in chronological order (and paying close attention to the scores of each show along the way, just for grins) & this one jumped out at me almost immediately as being noticeably different than the ones before it. Of course, it's TV & psychedelic drugs, so there is that, but still, hey, Don Ellis, 1967, and prime-time tv. Best/worst of worlds, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q27JFAgiJJg