What Are You Watching

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

John Cassavetes and Elmer Bernstein.  What more do you need to know?

The piano player whom Cassavetes replaces in the opening sequence is John 

Williams (I can't remember which John Williams)

A mediocre World War Il film with issues. One character announces himself on the radio as Major General Bradley while wearing a helmet with four stars. Later Eric Roberts plays a Navy lieutenant giving a rousing speech to his men while a fifty star American flag is in the background. I guess all the budget was spent on the computer-generated battle scenes.

We are currently working our way through Criterion's Hollywood Crack-Up collection:

Hollywood Crack-Up: The Decade American Cinema Lost Its Mind

"What happened to America in the 1960s? Amid the stream of social upheavals, a wave of films emerged depicting mental illness, madness, extreme emotional states, and chilling violence—jarring transmissions from a new generation of Hollywood iconoclasts that seemed to evoke the very breakdown of the studio system itself..."

https://www.criterionchannel.com/hollywood-crack-up-the-decade-american-cinema-lost-its-mind

So far, we have watched Pressure Point (Hubert Cornfield), Targets (Peter Bogdanovich), and Pretty Poison (Noel Black).   Many of the others we have seen previously, but it has been years.  I think we will revisit John Frankenheimer's Seconds next.

On 5/25/2024 at 12:43 AM, Chuck Nessa said:

MV5BYjdkYzZhODMtZWMwNS00NTA5LWE1MzYtY2Rm

About to work my way through the 27 episodes.

I used to own that DVD set but I sold it. The writing went downhill as the series progressed and the musicians in the bar scenes tended to be more anonymous players than the early episodes. Perhaps the oddest change was the replacement of the opening sequence and theme music with a silly shot of a wide-eyed Johnny Staccato running around the empty streets and shooting his gun.  

Edited by Ken Dryden

On 6/3/2024 at 9:37 AM, soulpope said:

As good as it gets ....

Fantastic ! The chemistry and the spontaneity.

Memorabel moment for me: The scene (the Psychiatrist) were he want to catch the girl (did't pay) and appears at the outside of the wrong window on a winterday in the evening, confronted with the psychiatrist again, falls backwards, leaving the psychiatrist completely baffled, shaking his head.

He has got it all under control !

If you have watched it as many times as i did (therapeutic basis) you discover how many times microphones/shadow appear in tv image. probably about 8-10 times over two seasons. Not that it bothers me one bit.