What Are You Watching

That is exactly the category in which The Butler belongs. I can't believe Hollywood still feels compelled to lavish tons of awards on such simple-minded, manipulative drivel.

For the record The Butler didn't win any major awards, it didn't get a single Oscar or Golden Globe nomination and the critics didn't like it either, it has a 47 metacritic score.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is exactly the category in which The Butler belongs. I can't believe Hollywood still feels compelled to lavish tons of awards on such simple-minded, manipulative drivel.

For the record The Butler didn't win any major awards, it didn't get a single Oscar or Golden Globe nomination and the critics didn't like it either, it has a 47 metacritic score.

Thanks for setting the record straight. It's been years since I lost interest in all award shows, so I really don't follow who wins at them. I somehow had the idea that this film was an award winner. I am very happy to be informed that is not the case!

I binge watched the rest of Community over the past several days, probably my 3rd time through the first 3 seasons and it was the second time seeing 4 & 5. Really looking forward to season 6!

Now to figure out something else funny to watch, I'm burned out on dramatic series right now. Need escapism....

Season 2 of The Bridge starts tonight.

I'll be watching.

I started the first episode but realized I couldn't make much sense of it without going back and watching the end of season one.

Anyone watching without having seen the first season will be quickly lost methinks, it offers zero catch up assistance to new viewers.

29.05.2014_29.05.2014_816_ba%C5%9Fkanlar

Found this a bit dull. The central story-line was a bit thin, padded out by joining the dots on as many key civil rights events as they could get the main characters involved in.

I wish they'd put the 90s series 'I'll Fly Away' on DVD. Now that series had real depth.

I avoided this, it looked like something as manipulative as Forrest Gump. No thanks.

Forrest Gump was better. :shrug[1]::tophat:

That's for sure but I'm in the embarrassed minority who actually liked FG. :w

Season 2 of The Bridge starts tonight.

I'll be watching.

I started the first episode but realized I couldn't make much sense of it without going back and watching the end of season one.

Anyone watching without having seen the first season will be quickly lost methinks, it offers zero catch up assistance to new viewers.

29.05.2014_29.05.2014_816_ba%C5%9Fkanlar

Found this a bit dull. The central story-line was a bit thin, padded out by joining the dots on as many key civil rights events as they could get the main characters involved in.

I wish they'd put the 90s series 'I'll Fly Away' on DVD. Now that series had real depth.

I avoided this, it looked like something as manipulative as Forrest Gump. No thanks.

Forrest Gump was better. :shrug[1]::tophat:

That's for sure but I'm in the embarrassed minority who actually liked FG. :w

I was surprised to find out how disliked Forrest Gump is (online, at least). People really hate it! I mean, every movie has it's detractors, but considering that i always thought it was a universally loved classic it was initially quite jarring how often it gets brought up as an example of a straight up bad movie.

BBC2 TV doc: "The Men Who Made Us Spend" Part 1

p0220g3h.jpg

Hardly news, but chilling - a history of 20thC consumerism and the techniques used by business to ensure goods have short lives so we buy and buy again. Didn't know about the early 20thC light bulb cartel who artificially reduced the life of bulbs by well over half.

If you've ever wondered why you've bought 5 different versions of 'King of Blue' or why you've convinced yourself that you need ten Beethoven cycles then the answer is here.

10921293-1395857411-315413.jpg

Episode 1: 'Red Bones'

Standard British whodunnit but, as with so many of these series, made enjoyable by distinctive landscapes and endearing characters.

"Midsomer Murders" with atrocious weather (and ferries).

Edited by A Lark Ascending

I don't get this joke, and, fortunately, I never saw a whole episode of Friends. American comedies can be torture, and being force-fed Friends should be considered a crime against humanity. :winky:

I remember visiting my brother and his family in UK . They watched this programme and their non stop chuckles and guffaws left me quite bewildered.

They couldn't understand why we sat there stony faced. Talk about reverse culture shock.

That's my take on ' Friends'.

Edited by kinuta

Friends: Season 2. "You partied with Hootie and the Blowfish?!?!?!?!?" :rofl: Has there ever been a more white, middle-class show than Friends?

Friends_Season_2_DVD.jpg

"Has there ever been a more white, middle-class show than Friends?"

Well, not if you don't count Leave It To Beaver, The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet, Our Miss Brooks, The Andy Griffith Show, The Dick Van Dyke Show, The Patty Duke Show, Family Affair, The Brady Bunch, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, The Bob Newhart Show, Happy Days, etc.