Larry Young - "Into Somethin' "

sal

I was playing this Conn really freakin' loud last night and have had the tunes in my brain all morning. Sometimes I think that I like this session even more than "Unity". Its one of those perfect moments in recorded jazz history. Every track is a gem. I can't get over that part of the head of "Plaza De Toros" where Sam Rivers is just fluttering that eerie soundscape while Grant Green hypnoticly picks at those two notes with Larry and Elvin throwing down that dirty Latin groove. Just beautiful. What a great album, with great tunes and great playing by all. Definitely one of Grant Green's finest hours. Sam Rivers is just a monster breathing fire all over the place, and Elvin so casually demonstrating why he's the greatest ever. I like Larry Young so much more than any other organist....there's just something so interesting about his music. It just grabs me and won't let go.

Edited by sal

I think Sam holds back a bit too. But then what kind of session would it have been if he had really gone for broke?? :o:P

I'll have to give this one a spin again soon. My guess is that by keeping things a little more "inside", Sam probably helped the date gel better (maybe even a lot better) - given the more straight-ahead nature of the date (what with Grant Green on board).

Still, a tiny part of me wishes maybe he'd gone the other route -- even if the date wasn't as successful or cohesive as a result. Imagine what an incredible (or maybe incredibly interesting!!!) date this might have been, if it had been too "outside" to be released at the time -- and only snuck out of the vaults a couple decades later, warts and all.

( A little like the two recently "previously-unreleased" Andrew Hill dates that Sam plays on, from 1967. Or maybe even more like the two John Patton dates that Harold Alexander plays on!!! - "Understanding" and "Boogaloo". )

Don't get me wrong, the date's wonderful just as it is. I'm just playing "imagine if..." again. :P

Edited by Rooster_Ties

OK, I've got the date on now, and maybe everything I just wrote (above) is all bullshit.

Cuz Sam's mostly goin' for broke. Not as much as he was totally capable of, but he's not exactly holding back either. (At least based on his first solo on "Tyrone".)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Not to sidetrack things, but I'd kill to hear an Organissimo tribute album to Larry Young, particularly doing Larry's BN material. Lots of interesting tunes, and several from his last four albums that NOBODY ever covers. Not every tune, but there's two or three real gems on every Larry Young disc (just looking at them from a "tune" standpoint).

OK, I'd better say something to get this back on track. Still listening to the album (I'm up to track #4 now), and I still think Sam's really got this thing nailed. Any more 'out', and the date would have been tougher to keep together. Any less 'out', and it would have been much less interesting.

For years I had the TOCJ issue of this, and didn't know the alternate of Ritha (with Sam, vs. the version they used on the LP, with just the trio). Sure glad that was on there -- since we get to hear Sam on so few organ dates. Is this the only one?? (Certainly the only one in the 60's, I'm betting.)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Not to sidetrack things, but I'd kill to hear an Organissimo tribute album to Larry Young

I'll take it a step further and say I'd like to hear Organissimo redo INTO SOMETHIN'!! Maybe as a live show. My friend and some other local musicians recently played THE WHITE ALBUM in it's entirity for a show, sounded like great fun. Perhaps as a tribute album the way Blue Note did several years back with What's Going On and Natty Dread.

Great session - and I think Rivers fits in just fine, adjusting his style to that of the group. I would agree that 'Unity' is the better session but this one runs it fairly close. I suspect that when it first came out it was a very poor seller for Blue Note - you rarely ever see vinyl of this one. Wonder why that was?

Great session - and I think Rivers fits in just fine, adjusting his style to that of the group. I would agree that 'Unity' is the better session but this one runs it fairly close. I suspect that when it first came out it was a very poor seller for Blue Note - you rarely ever see vinyl of this one. Wonder why that was?

I've got a vinyl of this and the CD. But that's me...dupes all over the place.

I've got a vinyl of this and the CD. But that's me...dupes all over the place.

Me too. Have always loved this session and have preferred it to the more celebrated "Unity". Sam Rivers is just amazing on this, and everyone is really ON! Had to get the CD for the alternate take.

I just realized that it's a "33 1/3 Microgroove LONG PLAYING" issue of the LP - is that particularly valuable?

No, better off selling to me. :D

Seriously, does it have New York USA on label? Does it have a mark that looks like an 'ear' in the dead wax? If yes to both and mint, I'd guess $65-100.

Edited by wolff

Oh.......OK, wolff.

5 bucks too much?? B-)

But seriously.......it does say "New York USA", but I don't see that "ear" that you are talking about. And although it's probably not "mint" it's in VERY nice shape - both cover and vinyl.

Edited by BFrank