Sin City

=JSngry,Oct 2 2005, 04:05 PM]

But the movie sure looked great.

And I think that was the point. To me, comic book stories are ALL visual.

I was pleased to see Mickey Rourke make another comeback and think this was a credible effort for him.

The female characters, as they are in comics, were all over-sexualized, which is common in the genre and I was expecting that, as well as the broadly-drawn storyline, anti-heroes, villians and plotlines.

In short, I liked this.

Edited by patricia

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was pretty funny, really. I think that was the point.

Different people get different things from the same film, book...........

If it amused you, you got that from it. I found it to be much the same as reading a comic book, knowing that it's pure fantasy.

I saw it as pulp fiction, more aurthentic in it's over-the-top violence than Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, or Kill Bill, #1 OR #2.

After reading about this flick here many months ago, I finally got to see this movie last night. Visually, it was incredible. It was a moving comic book to my eyes. The over-the-top violence was softened by the exclusion of color... seeing white spray from severed body parts didn't look like "gore". Weird, I know, but I don't know any other way to describe it.

I thought the characters getting shot up, falling from insane heights, getting beat to a pulp, getting pulled out of the La Brea tar pits, etc. was so "Rambo" and so "comic book" that I was actually laughing. That's probably what Miller intended.

The babes were beautiful.

I still don't know why Hartigan (Willis) did what he did in the end. I would have thought the overlapping stories would have collided right then and he would have seen Marv (O'Rourke) blow the farmhouse to bits. BTW, why did Kevin ( Elijah Wood) let Hartigan walk right by him to kill Junior? Why didn't he kill him? With his supernatural abilities, he would have been able to kill him without blinking. :)

FWIW, the colliding story lines in the end was the redeeming feature for me. Up to that point, I thought it was a series of unconnected vignettes about Sin City and I really would have thought less of it had it ended that way... although I wasn't keen on the ending anyway.

All in all, I'm glad I got it from the library (for free). I don't if I would have thought it was worth renting.

It's that over-the-topness that cracks me up. If I thought for one second that the people who wrote this didn't do so completely tongue-in-cheek, I'd find it revolting and/or insulting. There's no healthy adult/mature intellectual/emotional element to this kind of thing except a very dry humor. Or wet, considering all the "blood" that gets spilled. :g

Now, I know that there are some people who take this stuff very seriously, like it's some kind of "heavy" social commentary, but c'mon, get real. At face value, it's some fucked up shit in terms of violence, and emotionally, it's at the level of a really disturbed 11 year old - if you take it at face value. "Fantasy" or not, it's the humor that undisturbifies it. It's Tom & Jerry (the really violent ones that they don't show any more) mixed with Itchy & Scratchy and then amped up off the meter. Mix in an obvious mockery of cheap sentimetalism and male inadequacy/revenge fantasies, and I don't see how anybody can help but laugh, if they've got the stomach for the stuff in the first place. I mean, my wife was talking aabout how "disgusting" certainscenes were, but she was laughing right along with me! I think I'd kinda worry about anybody who didn't laugh, unless they were laughing for the wrong reasons, in which case, I think I'd extricate myself from their proximity with all due haste!

Now, a little of this stuff goes a long way for me. I get enough laughs from the perverse absurdities of everyday reality, thank you, (and reality is crueler than anything in this genre, simply becaus it's real) but it's good every once in a while to take a break and let somebody else have a whack at it (pun intended?). This one oughta last me another 5-10 years, I think. But it was good for a quick few hours.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Well, I haven't watched all of the segments on this.

The expanded version itself is very very good. It's very pleasing to see the whole stories as they unfold without interruption, and you can watch only one if you wish. The original theater version with the sound track of the premiere night in Austin is also fun to see and hear.

• 2 years later...

I just started working my way through the 2nd disc version, it is interesting to watch it a section at a time. But now it's got me craving to go back and watch the original theatrical version.

I must say I'm enjoying this film alot more the second time around than when I originally saw it. It's a beautifully realized film.

What really disturbs me is this is the same guy that brings us Spy Kids.

In addition to that, the mom from the Spy Kids movies (Carla Gugino (sp?)) has a small part in this film where she spends most of the time walking around in nothing but a thong. Try watching a SK movie after THAT! :w

• 10 months later...

Made some homemade tortillas

First batch had some that were thicker than pancakes

Second batch was much better

You gotta roll them as thin as possible and the pan needs to be very very very hot

Tried a double burner griddle and the back wasn't getting hot enough on the first batch

Used a single round griddle on the second batch and made them as thin as possible