Sin City

Well, I was among the many who went to see Sin City this weekend.

Ultra violence in the time-honored Tarantino-Rodriguez tradition, somewhat liberated by the comic book theme and replication via digital manipulation.

BEAUTIFUL women, quite interesting acting.

A spectacle, a "guy thing," an adrenaline rush.

Very Frank Miller, very much like an Eisner that embraced the dark side. . . .

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. One of the best and most faithful comic book adaptations to date. The film really captures Miller's wit and his morbid fascination with cruelty. It also captures Miller's art style which really softens the impact of the violence (which could have been unbearable otherwise). Excellent film. Great performances all around. Roger Ebert states that the film "mines the actors for the archetypes they contain," and he's absolutely right. Bruce Willis IS a Frank Miller drawing... Mickey Rourke is amazing too...

My best friend and his wife went to see it, and he pretty much echoed what you guys have said. Hadn’t really planned on seeing it, what with the aversion to cruelty/gore/endless violence; he said it was graphic, to be sure, but the way it was done made it seem much more stylized, I guess. Plus, the idea of a 60-year-old guy (Bruce Willis’s character) making out with a 19-year-old girl (Jessica Alba’s character) is just...... well, it creeps me out! :ph34r:

Having said that, I saw one of Miller’s books at Borders on Saturday and started flipping through it. I was hooked, what can I say? You guys are concurring with my buddy who also said the movie is like having the book come to life, and the book (at a glance, anyway) was definitely stark. So now I wanna see this picture. Might wait ‘til it comes out on DVD (no one else in my family would want to see this). Or heck, I’ll just call up my buddy; I’m sure he’d love to see it again!

Guest Chaney

I found this opinion of "William" over on the Bagatellen site very interesting.

If you've read the comic books, and perhaps even if you haven't, there is nothing to be gained from seeing this movie.

It is as if there is some natural hierarchy of media, with film at the top, so that the ultimate justice a person can do to a story is make it into a movie. And that becomes the definitive telling of that story. As if every novel, play, comic book, television show, video game, theme park ride and souvenir snow globe is really a screenplay in disguise. They're just dying to be made into films, and existed in their initial incarnation only because they lacked big Hollywood studio funding.

Sin City is a comic book. That is what it was meant to be. Its appeal cannot translate into film. Looking a beautifully drawn, highly abstracted, still images of extreme violence is different from having to sit and look up at moving images of real people committing the exact same acts. This is, in fact, why no comic book movies work. The illusion of film is that you are watching the recording of an event that actually happened, in reality, in front of this camera. You're looking at real people. While we may buy into the world of the Hulk when we read the comic book, on screen it's just silly.

Also: apparently I read comic books slower that Robert Rodriguez does. The pacing of this film felt way off.

Edited by Chaney

Well, I can definitely agree with some aspects of that post. BUT. . . .

a) I haven't read these "graphic novels" and don't want to. The movie works for me and holds an appeal that the printed work doesn't.

b) Frank Miller is intimately involved in this, and Frank Miller, I have always felt, wants to be a movie maker, so I have to feel this is different than many comic books translated to the screen.

More...

"Batman: The Dark Knight Strikes Again"

dk2cover2.jpg

"Give Me Liberty" (and the other Martha Washington titles)

give_me_liberty.jpg

martha_washington_goes_to_war.jpg

mwsw1.jpg

Also, Miller's two landmark runs on "Daredevil" (in which he invented Elektra) are available in four softcover volumes:

new_graphic_novel357.jpg

DaredevilVisionaries2.jpg

new_graphic_novel671.jpg

0871352974.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

There's more, of course, but to me this stuff is the cream of Miller's illustrious crop as both writer and artist....