Gerry Mulligan

Jazz Kat

I am a fan. A friend just sent me a cdr of "Elliot Lawrence plays Gerry Mulligan Arrangements". It really surprised me. I have a couple of other Mulligan arranged cuts on another cd but I always presumed they were aberrations. All of this cd is good. Reminds me of the Concert Jazz Band.

• 1 year later...

Not a huge fan, but I've been digging the Gerry Mulligan/Paul Desmond Quartet disc from Verve lately ... one of those piano-less outings ... with the horns really at the forefront, it's more interesting than I thought it would be.

Is it called Blues In Time? It's one of the few titles I have with Gerry Mulligan. I really like the Mulligan Meets Monk album, but I'm more of a Pepper Adams kinda guy.

anyone who fronts a band with no piano or vocalists is fine in my book.

agreed, mully-desmond is wonderful

i believe mull-brubeck did a beautiful spirietedduo version of take 5.

the harmony stuff he and, especially, brookemeyer, and the other west coasters of that day had going on was especially beautiful and unique. i'll try to find that article. thinking it's in periodicals.

i think of him as a composer and not a performer.

i dont recall hearing the monk-mulligan recording. i am sure i've heard it. it just didnt make an impression. anyone recall it?

Edited by alocispepraluger102

12stereoLP2%20176.jpg

On time off, Gerry often participated as a cast member in the stage production to "Jesus Christ Superstar."

--------

On a serious note — how is this one? I don't even know who the "new" sextet is.

GM looks like Hugh Hefner in this pic. :huh:

Eerie bordering on the uncanny -- but Sandy Dennis was no Playmate.

mulligan(after baths and a trip to the barber) and/or torme hosted FAR too many pbs or npr jazz events; i came to dislike seeing them so much i would turn the programs off. (ramses lewis bristles the hair, as well)

i enjoyed their performances(excepting ramses, of course), but found them personally obnoxious.

Edited by alocispepraluger102

• 3 months later...

Then there's Getz Meets Mulligan in HI-FI. Tunes include :Lets Fall In Love; Anything Goes; Too Close For Comfort, Scrapple From The Apple. Featuring Lou Levy, Ray Brown, Stan Levey. What more could you ask for in a recording from this era? I saw Mulligan with Brubeck and at a jam session for Newport In New York?-(my brain is addled on that score) Obviously a master player and arranger. Put my vote down for the Mulligan-Monk encounter as well. Both discs cited belong in most serious collections-unless you just don't dig Monk or Getz.

Peace,

Jeff T aka Blue Trane :excited::tup

The Gerry Mulligan Sextet (Jon Eardley, Bob Brookmeyer, Zoot Sims, Mulligan, Bill Crow and Dave Bailey in a TV appearance during their tour of Europe in the spring of 1956:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyiA4LQq1XE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vV8r41lGHlY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k0FS3VszT4

How extraordinarily RAITRE.

And is an "Ontet" the same as a "Nonet"?

• 6 months later...