Another Idol season

jazzbo

The strongest candidates that I've seen have all been black, and they keep getting bumped (I liked Nadia myself, what I saw of her).  I think this has to do with the fact that the last two winners have been black (Fantasia and Ruben) and the teeny-boppers who vote feel that two black winners to one white winner is somehow "unfair."  From what I keep hearing in the faculty breakroom at school, the favorite is that blonde chick who sings the country songs.  She's the one I predict will win.

Let the record show that on April 15th, Alexander correctly predicted the outcome of this year's "American Idol." I correctly predicted that 1) the black candidates would all be bumped in the end (although I did predict in a later post that the final three would be white, so I did goof in that respect), and 2) that Carrie would win. Why did I make such a prediction and why was it virtually certain to come true?

What it comes down to is politics. A victory for Carrie is a victory for the Red States. She's cute. She's clean. She believes in God, mother and country (music, that is). She comes from the Heartland AND the Bible Belt. She's got rows and rows of sparkling teeth. She's practically guaranteed a spot in W's iPod.

Bo, although he came from a Southern State, was a long-haired drug-user. He was the Blue State candidate by default. Although he was clearly the stronger singer and the better performer, he couldn't beat the killer combination of teeth, religion, and Republicanism. It's all political, folks! :beee:

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not surprised Carrie won, but I think she's just plain mediocre, not sexy, not a great singer.  UGH.

Hope Carrie is a better singer than that horrible performance in that last song after she won. The bad performance is probably due to all the emotions and cries of joy etc. My friends assure me she is a lot better singer than that. We will see.

Not surprised at all about the winner. Simon had been 'pimping' her to win from the start. And his words seem to carry a lot of weight most of the time.

Well American Idol may have ended, but the local one (Malaysian Idol) is just about to begin. Very much looking forward to the auditions. :D From the trailers, these promise to offer plenty of William Hung-type entertainment. :P

Give it a rest, Alex.

The fact is that the vast majority of people voting for both Bo and Carrie are too young to vote in a real election or don't bother to anyway.

Next you're going to tell us that Diebold ran the vote counting apparatus for Fox, too.

Ugh. I'm never getting suckered in by American Idol again. That has to rank as one of the worst moments i've ever seen on television. Kenny G with Anthony and Anwar? I feel so dirty. Like Rupert Murdoch just f'd us all up the ass.  :blink:

Yeah, but the way I feel about it is that it's worth suffering through a minute or two of Kenny G every few years if it means hours of fun trashing him on the net until the next time one must endure him.

Or one can just Tivo right past him... :g

Give it a rest, Alex.

The fact is that the vast majority of people voting for both Bo and Carrie are too young to vote in a real election or don't bother to anyway.

Next you're going to tell us that Diebold ran the vote counting apparatus for Fox, too.

I disagree. First of all, just because a person is too young to vote doesn't make him or her too young to have an uninformed opinion. I've met plenty of 11 to 17-year-olds who thought they understood politics enough to support the president, for example, in the 2004 election.

Similarly, just because a person is old enough to vote but normally doesn't do so is not an indication that one is apolitical. Supposedly the so-called "values-voters" were the deciding factor in the last election, and these are people who normally *don't* go to the polls because they believe the politics is too corrupt for them to bother. These people are Carrie's audience. They live in the South, believe in God, support the troops, and love contemporary country radio. Carrie is their ideal daughter. If she started dressing like Christina/Brittany or admitted to liking the Dixie Chicks, they'd drop her in a cold minute.

I didn't watch any of this season, only the last 10-15 minutes of the show last night. I thought the girl who sang with Billy Preston did great, she would have had my vote if I actually cared about the show or the winner enough to watch (let alone vote).

Bo seemed to have stage presence, Carrie didn't. That's all I could see from my viewing, and don't care about either enough to want to see or hear them any more.

Give it a rest, Alex.

I disagree. First of all, just because a person is too young to vote doesn't make him or her too young to have an uninformed opinion. I've met plenty of 11 to 17-year-olds who thought they understood politics enough to support the president, for example, in the 2004 election.

Similarly, just because a person is old enough to vote but normally doesn't do so is not an indication that one is apolitical. Supposedly the so-called "values-voters" were the deciding factor in the last election, and these are people who normally *don't* go to the polls because they believe the politics is too corrupt for them to bother. These people are Carrie's audience. They live in the South, believe in God, support the troops, and love contemporary country radio. Carrie is their ideal daughter. If she started dressing like Christina/Brittany or admitted to liking the Dixie Chicks, they'd drop her in a cold minute.

So what you are in fact saying is that Bush really did win reelection, just as Carrie, his surrogate, won this contest.

Oh and by the way, one can have exceptionally well informed opinion and support the President, whether you're 11-17 or a bit older.

FWIW, I happened upon one of the finals nights and noticed Carrie was singing the Sean Hannity theme song. I about gagged when I heard that, but figured she was a lock to win at that point.

God, country, and Dubya (not necessarily in that order); maybe Alex is on to something after all.... :unsure:

Or it might simply be that Carrie is straight out of Central Casting for American Idol. She's EXACTLY who the competition is designed to discover: young, attractive, talented but with virtually no performance experience, tiny home town: she was a lock from the very start.

And it has nothing to do with Red vs Blue states.

Well..... take yer pick. When I heard her, my first thought was, “Great, just what this country needs: another Shania Twain country/rock singer. Don’t we have enough of those clones already?”

But then, this is American Idol after all, not America’s Most Talented.

a couple final comments:

1. I have had an ongoing problem technically with Carries voice :

Whenever she sings in her low register, her lack of training in supporting her chest voice is very noticible ..she is more often than not badly out of tune down there. I realize the reason for picking those keys is due to her propensity for choosing the "power ballads" with a very wide tessitura ( vocal range ) so she can build to the "biiiig finish " where she can rely on her vocal strength to aid in the illusion of a great performance. ( she ain't perfect pitchwise in the higher end eiither, but its less noticeable than down low. In addition to control, Carrie needs to understand the concept of "quiet intensity " when singing low. ( Think Reba McIntyre for example )

When Carrie gets to Nashville, she's gonna run into a whole s***tpile of singers who ( in their idiom ) can REALLY sing ..and are comsummate professional performers as well. Cute alone ain't gonna cut it down thar ..

:tdown

2. I am TOTALLY OD'ed on faceless formula "power ballads" that all adhere to a like form and usually have little or no lasting melodic or lyrical hook to grab onto ..

verse: start waaaay low ..

interlude: start to turn on the burners ..big crescendo ..to ..

chorus: hi range, lotsa backup vocals and orchestral goo to give the illusion of profundity where none exists ..

and THEN"

repeat chorus but modulated ( usually ) up a half step..

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

3. I'm looking forward to Anwars, Tanias ,and Vonzells CDs!

:tup:tup:tup

Edited by SGUD missile

2. I am TOTALLY OD'ed on faceless formula "power ballads" that all adhere to a like form and usually have little or no lasting melodic or lyrical hook to grab onto ..

verse: start waaaay low ..

interlude: start to turn on the burners ..big crescendo ..to ..

chorus: hi range, lotsa backup vocals and orchestral goo to give the illusion of profundity where none exists ..

and THEN"

repeat chorus but modulated ( usually ) up a half step..

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

A-FRICKIN'-MEN!!!!!

• 7 months later...