Some interesting Blue Note reissues coming up

Ed S

Anyone spot these on Jazzmatazz?

Willie Bobo - Bobo's Beat (Blue Note/Roulette) July 8 — from 1962

Jack Costanzo - Latin Fever (Blue Note/Liberty) July 8 — from 1957

Bobby Hutcherson - Montera (Blue Note) July 8 — from 1975

The Jazz Crusaders - Chile Con Soul (Blue Note/Pacific Jazz) July 8 — from 1965

Joe Torres - Latin con Soul (Blue Note/World Pacific) July 8 — from 1967

An interesting group of recordings. Anyone know anything about the music on these? I'll probably check 'em out anyways but I'm curious if any of you have heard these at some point and would care to comment.

By the way, Jazzmatazz mentions that they are due out on July 8, but CD Universe says August 7

Anyone spot these on Jazzmatazz?

Willie Bobo - Bobo's Beat (Blue Note/Roulette) July 8 ?from 1962

Jack Costanzo - Latin Fever (Blue Note/Liberty) July 8 ?from 1957

Bobby Hutcherson - Montera (Blue Note) July 8 ?from 1975

The Jazz Crusaders - Chile Con Soul (Blue Note/Pacific Jazz) July 8 ?from 1965

Joe Torres - Latin con Soul (Blue Note/World Pacific) July 8 ?from 1967

An interesting group of recordings.  Anyone know anything about the music on these?  I'll probably check 'em out anyways but I'm curious if any of you have heard these at some point and would care to comment.

By the way, Jazzmatazz mentions that they are due out on July 8, but CD Universe says August 7

As the titles suggest, these (at least the three that I heard) are light affairs steadily providing easy-on-the-ears, Latin and Bossa beats. If you like what you hear on the title tune from Sex & the City, that's what you'll get from the Hutcherson. But you'd expect better from him. The Crusaders and the Bobo are the others I heard and I remember them to be pleasant.

Barnes and Noble, linked from the AMG site, says July 8.

e92658wt49y.jpg

Edited by Saint Vitus

I heard it waaaaayyy back in the 70s when I was first discovering Afro-Cuban music and wasn't impressed at all. It seemed quite "American". I was hungry for the real Cuban/Perto Rican thing, and was having no problem finding it.

But that was a loooong time ago, and I've broadened my appreciation a lot since then. I'd be interested in hearing it again with fresh ears.

I have the Costanza lp. Cheezy cover, but the music is very good. I would definitely go for the Willie Bobo. One of my favorite latin players before the disco thing kicked in. The Hutcherson is for completists, but there are moments. Very latin/salsa oriented, so don't expect anything like his classic 60's period. I'm still waiting for a Jazz Crusaders box (Select or otherwise).

I just might be tempted by the Jazz Crusaders. With an augmented group I suspect it's not among their best, some of these latin efforts end up sounding a bit twee. Anyone care to comment on this one. Otherwise none of these reissues are for me.

e92658wt49y.jpg

Finally, the staple of every used record store makes it to cd! :party:

That's funny. I have an LP copy of this one as well. I guess I won't be getting much if I trade it in.

At any rate, FWIW, CD Universe has indeed adjusted the availability date of this set of releases to July 8. My order is in.

The Lovano's coming out on that day too. Looking forward to hearing that one. I hope it's a good one. I remember Tom Evered mentioning that there was enough material for a second release if this one sells.

John, the Chile con Soul lp is a good one. Hubert Laws is featured; he had played with the basic Crusaders personnel BEFORE they became Jazz Crusaders, and then had gone on to a Latin Jazz experience in NYC with Mongo Santamaria et al, and here is reunited with old Texas confreres and playing very well in the front line. Al McKibbon and Valdes are great additions to the group, and the material has a mellow groove to it that is fitting to the nature of the spirit of this group. Felder does some really nice fat sounding solos, it's a nice sounding lp too, warm and groovy.

I think it will be a good cd!

I'm interested in the Torres and the Costanza, and probably will try out the Hutcherson.

I have the Costanza lp.  Cheezy cover, but the music is very good.  ...

... INDEED!!! :wacko::blink:

489573.jpg

Another eloquent argument for making LP reissues of original LPs. Who the hell would want a digitally stilted (oops sorry remastered) version at the cost of losing this awesome original artwork in its full scale glory? Lets hope the CD issue frees up some original copies somewhere. I know Bev doesn't like the word, but this is what I call ART.

Edited by David Ayers

Why they putting a Capitol logo on it when it was a Liberty side?

And no. I haven't lost my perspective - it's just that Liberty was home to some of the most, uh... "ravishing" covers of all time, and I'd like to see them credited.

I'd also like to see a book of lifesize reproductions of every Julie London album they ever released.

Why they putting a Capitol logo on it when it was a Liberty side?

And no. I haven't lost my perspective - it's just that Liberty was home to some of the most, uh... "ravishing" covers of all time, and I'd like to see them credited.

I'd also like to see a book of lifesize reproductions of every Julie London album they ever released.

I agree with the Julie London idea and with the comments about Liberty. I wish that EMI would release all of these under their original label. The Chet Baker that was just released was a Colpix release, yet the CD has the Roulette label and logo plastered on it.

Early on everything reissued seemed to be coming out as a Blue Note, irrespective fo the original label. The do seem to be using the original label more frequently these days, but I wish they'd be consistent.

Hooray for Wal-Mart (Now THAT's one sentence I never thought I'd say).

0072435841932_500X500.jpg

Why couldn't Cuscuna make the booklet fold out to full LP size? (Or how about dorm room poster size?)

Three cheers for Wal-Mart. :party::party::party:

What am I saying :wacko: I'm not myself today. It must be a case of Latin Fever :rolleyes:

What am I saying :wacko: I'm not myself today. It must be a case of Latin Fever :rolleyes:

Just be thankful its not a case of Dance Fever (did anyone else see the promo for that E! program "Star Dates"? Denny Terrio, onetime host of Dance Fever was on this past week! Where the hell did they find him? :g

Dr. Pepper @ 10, 2, & 4, Julie London at 10:10, 2:50, & 3:45!

e98492q69vp.jpg

Interesting, isn't it. ;)

How's the music?

Haven't heard that one, but most of London's Libertys from this era (mid-50s-early 60s) are cool-jazzy/pop affairs. Nice, but nothing heavy (and vise versa) the covers, though are uniformly, uh, well, mmm, you know... :excited: