Von Freeman

Chrome

All I have under his own name is 'Have No Fear', which I really enjoy. Also a nice place to hear John Young, a pianist whom I don't know beyond this record, but whose playing I enjoy a lot.

Also, there 2 or 3 tracks from George Freeman's (brother of...) Delmark CD...damn, name escapes me...anyway, some pretty cool organ trio stuff (one mad track has Kalaparusha Maurice McIntyre (ts) and Lester Lashley (tb)). Anyway, I like this appearance too.

• 4 months later...

I picked up my first Von Freeman recording the other day (The Improvisor), solely on the strength of the recommendations on this board. What wonderful music! Sincere and beautiful playing--so thanks to all who hipped me to Vonski.

BTW, the recording quality of The Improvisor is top notch, particularly for an 'on location' recording. Mixed by Jim Anderson.

von_freeman.jpg

I'll add that the duet between Von and Jason Moran on Ellington's "I like the sunrise" is one of the most moving jazz performances I have ever heard. I've been playing this track over and over for the last half hour and it's playing as I write this. Man, it's priceless...Von's tone is so vulnerable and pure.

I'll add that the duet between Von and Jason Moran on Ellington's "I like the sunrise" is one of the most moving jazz performances I have ever heard.  I've been playing this track over and over for the last half hour and it's playing as I write this.  Man, it's priceless...Von's tone is so vulnerable and pure.

Yeah, I love that one too... and that's played the way that only a master like Freeman can do if he manages to get to 75 or so in good shape.