BFT#25, disc #1 - discussion!!!

Rooster_Ties

OK, I am hereby opening up the discussion for BFT#25, and this here is the thread for disc #1!!

Just in case there is any confusion, disc #1 has 16 tracks (and disc #2 only has 13 tracks).

If you only provide commentary for one of the discs, please do so for disc #1 – the more "serious" of the two discs. (Disc #2 is more of a "fun" mix disc that I thought people might like and/or at least find interesting. Yes, I will be starting a separate thread for disc #2.)

I think some of the tracks on disc #1 are guessable by a number of people around here, but hopefully just as many will be open to some debate, and maybe some dissent too!! But as you all know – it's not just about guessing who the musicians might be, but rather describing the music and your reactions to it -- good and bad!!

Let the games begin!! :)

Edit: A suggestion I posted below...

As far as track #1 goes, it'd be interesting for people to take a stab at when they think it might have been composed (what year, or decade). The key is in the 2nd-half of the solo-piano interlude part (starting around the 1:05 mark).

:w

Or maybe just answering the question, who does it sound like?? ^_^

Edited by Rooster_Ties

My initial thoughts. Right off the bat I knew track ten was from Kirk's "Domino" the grunt gives it away and I've been recently listening to it. Track 14 sounds like Jackie Mac but I can't place it. I really like track three, that lone trumpet in an orchestral setting, I'll be buying that one once I find out who it is. Track two is Evans' "Waltz for Debby", I really like the Evans trio with Scott LaFaro, beautiful and sophisticated. And track 9 sound likes Miles but again, I can't place it.

Track 5 I knew the moment I heard that opening bass figure!!! What a great album that is; sure wish it would get the "deluxe" treatment or something like that. I'd love to hear some more music from those sessions! AMG incorrectly lists it as track 7 on the following link, but it's actually track 5 from the Rhino version of this album!

Joe Henderson just SCORCHES on this track!

[EDITED to correct my incorrect track listing, as well as to correctly identify which track on the BFT I was referring to!]

Edited by Big Al

One listen last night, another as we speak, with the usual thanks and disclaimers firmly in place. Will try to be brief due to personal time restraints.

TRACK ONE - If I was in the mood for something like this, I might like it, but since at this moment I'm not, I have no idea what to say.

TRACK TWO - "Waltz For Debby". One of my very least favorite "jazz standards", so the brevity of this performance is quite welcome.

TRACK THREE - Nice try at a "surprise", but the constipated (if incredibly even) tone, and running-on-the treadmill-thinking-you're-going-someplace phraseology makes it painfully obvious who the trumpeter is. If this is intended as "classical" music, well hey, it's played perfectly, if to no great effect otherwise. If this is intended as some sort of "jazz composition", it sucks, period. But I will say this - the guy is a great trumpeter technically. Not too may players who could execute this like he does. But as music, it does absolutely nothing for me.

TRACK FOUR - Rouse-ter Ties! I've always dug this album. Not entirely "successful", but a nice, challenging change of pace for Mr. Rouse. Tried to get one of my first bands to cover this tune back in the early 80s, but they all siad, "Why don't we just play 'Freedom Jazz Dance' instead?" So much for the recklessness of youth...

TRACK FIVE - Joe. 'Nuff said!

TRACK SIX - Been a while since I listened to them at any length, but I think this is one of the Eddie Henderson Capricorn sides, which used to be huge personal favorites. Truthfully, I think they captured the bag of Herbie's "Mwandisihi" band to better effect than did Herbie's own albums. I dig how the "density" of the music is concentrated in the percussion, in the middle of the action, as opposed to the top (which is where most people listen to jazz) or the bottom (which is where most people feel it). Definitely a different way to construct your music, and one that shouldn't be considered "passe" today. It's just another option, that's all, another way to think about music.

TRACK SEVEN - On my headphones at work last night, this really sounded like Dewey. On my computer speakers, a little less so. But still mostly so. Not a cut that I immediately recognize, but that sure sounds like Billy on drums, so I'll guess the Anthony Cox Dark Metals album, which I've just only recently had the pleasure of getting a "copy" of. The pianist starts off like a shade of Mal Waldron, but that doesn't last long. His/her time threatens to rush, but never does, which makes for very effective tension between the two hands. This is great stuff. Dewey is one of the most logical "free" players ever, his shit just SINGS. Hell yeah.

TRACK EIGHT - Sounds like Charles Tolliver without the chops and polish, which sounds harsher than I mean it. The edges are pretty ragged, but the spirit is sincere. Sounds like a "local" group with a Nationalist philosophical bent. I feel it more than I "like" it, and that's more meaningful in the long run. I really dig the pianist's comp, nice and dark, very strong yet subtle, supports the trumpeter's vibe just right. Good solo, too, displaying the same traits.

TRACK NINE - Don Cherry, but from what or where, I don't know. When you have that strong of a voice, it doesn't matter, you just dig it where ever and whenever you come across it.

TRACK TEN - Rahsaan, an excerpt. sounds very familiar, but I can't place it. But yeah!

TRACK ELEVEN - Shit. I've heard this, pretty sure I have it, but exactly what it is, I'm drawing a blank. Woody Shaw, though, that's for sure. Hey, wait a second - that's Booker! No, it's not...Close, though... Sounds like Booker on a tape that's playing a little too fast. Is this the Nathan Davis date w/Larry Young on piano? No matter, burning stuff, top-shelf all the way.

TRACK TWELVE - Sounds like Chick from the Song Of Singing days, but like so much stuff from back then, it's been a while since I've dug deply into it. The episodic-structure (free, time, back and forth) never has worked for me that well in most instances, and this one is no exception. But within each zone, good things happen. This turned out to be just a phase for Chick (if that's who this is), but it was a good one.

TRACK THIRTEEN - More Woody Shaw? No complaints here! As mentioned in a previous BFT, the line between this type of straight-ahead playing and certain types of early fusion is pretty direct, or so I think, and Trane is the common source for both.

TRACK FOURTEEN - If that's J-Mac, it's a cut that I'm totally unfamiliar with, what with the guitar. If it's not J-Mac, who ever it is needs to be shot dead ASAP. No sense in spending all that energy to sound so much like somebody else's personality. No sense at all. But assuming that is IS McLean, it's a really good cut, and an album that I'd very much like to find out about.

Hey, wait a second, is this RENE McLean? It is, isn't it. That complicates matters significantly ... Well, at least it's in the family...

Too weird. As long as it's a McLean, cool. Great tune, and no BS-playing. Rene's gone on to find a more distinct voice on tenor, so hey...it's all good.

TRACK FIFTEEN - Sam. Unmistakably. Don't know this album at all, though. A little bit of Websearch suggests a Timeless album, but that's one of which I was totally unaware. Gotta get it, and gotta love Sam!

TRACK SIXTEEN - Another familiar sounding thing. I'm forgetting too damn much these days. Good energy on the first two listens, but I don't know how well it would hold up to repeated listenings. Perhaps more fire than heat, if you know what I mean (and if that's the expression...). Sounds vaguely "european", if only by the studio sound. No doubt seemed "epochal" at the time, even to the players, probably, but I dunno... Can't say one way or the other just yet. Certainly not lacking in either energy or conviction, though, so that's good no matter what.

Hey - I'm outta gas. Dug checking out your cuts, Tom. Much of interest, and much to enjoy. Disc Two, tomorrow, I hope!

[edited one time to get the tracks in totally correct order]

Edited by JSngry

As noted elsewhere, my disc somehow had the order of some tracks (#s1 & 3)switched. The above post represents the same comments, but in correct order. [edit - after a second edit...]

I will say, after having relistening to the opening 4 cuts in proper order, that the correct sequencing made for a better flow. Even if my opinion of the individual pieces didn't change any, I did hear the flow/continuity/whatever amongst them better. I know how important such things are to many compilers, so here's letting you know, Tom, that I checked it out, and that it works.

Edited by JSngry

TRACK THREE  - Nice try at a "surprise", but the constipated (if incredibly even) tone, and running-on-the treadmill-thinking-you're-going-someplace phraseology makes it painfully obvious who the trumpeter is.

And who might that be??? :w

Edited by Rooster_Ties

As far as track #1 goes, it'd be interesting for people to take a stab at when they think it might have been composed (what year, or decade). The key is in the 2nd-half of the solo-piano interlude part (starting around the 1:05 mark).

:w

Or maybe just answering the question, who does it sound like?? ^_^

Edited by Rooster_Ties

TRACK THREE  - Nice try at a "surprise", but the constipated (if incredibly even) tone, and running-on-the treadmill-thinking-you're-going-someplace phraseology makes it painfully obvious who the trumpeter is.

And who might that be??? :w

The evil that dare not speak its name. :g:g:g:g:g

It's not that I don't like him because of who he is, although that does come into play when I discuss his "position". I really do not like the way he plays. Period. It gets on my nerves. Quickly. And his "style" is as unmistakable to me as it is irritating.

Great technician. Incredible technician. But geez, so freakin' what if I can't stand what he does with it? And I can't. I really can't.

The evil that dare not speak its name.  :g  :g  :g  :g  :g

But what if it isn't him??? ^_^

Any chance, Jim, that your opinion of the track could be influenced a bit by who you think it is?? :w

Edit: Or maybe it is him. Or then again, maybe it really isn't!! :g

Edited by Rooster_Ties

The evil that dare not speak its name.  :g  :g  :g  :g  :g

But what if it isn't him??? ^_^

Any chance, Jim, that your opinion of the track could be influenced a bit by who you think it is?? :w

Edit: Or maybe it is him. Or then again, maybe it really isn't!! :g

Well, if it isn't him, it's somebody who on this cut irritates me just as much.

See, that's the thing with this cat and his "supporters" (of which I know you are not one) - it doesn't matter that you really don't like the way he plays. Or that you don't like people who play similarly. It's always, "Well, can you be sure that you don't like it just because it's him?" It's like it you're not allowed to genuinely dislike the guy on simple musical grounds, like if you could hear it without thinking it was him that your opinion would be different.

Yes, I can be sure, because even if it's NOT him, I still don't like that type of trumpet playing. And I can't help but think that it's him, because that's how he plays! He does have a sound of his own, and that is it. And I don't like it. Period. If he changes the way he plays, I might like his playing. Maybe. It would depend on if I liked it or not. :blink: Now there's a radical idea for the syncophants to chew on!

Hell, it might be some hotshot modern classical player for all I know. Or it might be Marvin Stamm or somebody like that. Or it might actually be "him". Doesn't matter. I don't like the character of tone (although in "classical" terms, it's close to perfect), and I don't like the phraseology, and yes, Wynton Marsalis is the first name that came to mind, because that is how he plays. But it doesn't matter who it is. It's not that I don't like it becasue I think it's him. I thnk it's him because it sounds like him, and I don't like it becasue I don't like how he sounds.

Simple as that.

I thought I'd get in early this time. I'm usually late! By the way, as far as musicians, albums, etc. my answer to most of the tracks could have been "Hell if I know!"

Overall, I liked it.

Disc One

01 Very dramatic opening. This sounds like film score. I do like the melody. I can picture ballet. Now I recognize it! Bill Evans Trio springs to mind anytime I hear that melody.

02 Wait. What? Segued from Track one. Is that right? I thought I was still listening to track one. I went back and listened to the segue and it doesn't sound like the same hands. Oh well.

03 Intense arrangement. Again, film springs to mind. This seems like opening credits of some sort. I love the tone of that brass. I keep hoping that A section won’t repeat, but it does. It’s a cool line, but I feel like it looses something once repeated. So much background movement. The orchestration seems jittery. It sort of makes me nervous. It is performed well, I’m sure, but it goes on a few minutes too long. The trumpet part also gets on my nerves. I guess I don’t really care for this.

04 Yeah! Whoa! Hook me up! That long line sounds familiar, but I’ve definitely never heard it here before! Damn, the tone of that guitar and bass is so baaaad I can’t stand it. And the drumming. This is some dark funk boy! I have a feeling this will be a fade out, but I do hope they return to that head. Can Rooster’s BFT peak so early? I am optimistic he’s got some cards up his sleeve. Loved it.

05 Some spiritual music. Why the fade out??? I was just getting into this!

06 Yo Rooooooooster! Definitely an afro-pop influence within that mid-70s Miles electrical field. I would say Yo Miles!, but I don’t think it is a Miles tune. Did they do originals? Possibly Eddie Henderson? A couple of people have told me to check that stuff out.

07 Hell yeah. This rhythm section sounds like a variable speed escalator if that makes any sense, with the tenor player maintaining a perfect balance dancing up and down steps. The tenor is really able to make a lot out of that elastic motion. Man he can make a song. The pianist is puzzling. Stylistically, the piano solo runs all over the board.

08 Yes, he’s got some cards up his sleeve. Yes he does. Something makes me want to say Sun Ra passengers. I think it is the strict quartered bass line. I really dig the waivering tone of the trumpet player. The obbligato front line between trumpet and tenor is fantastic. This is the way I like my jazz, a little rough around the edges. Tracks one through three really lacked any natural texture for me. Since then, everything has had something for me.

09 I think Don Cherry in a small room. Man, I don’t have any of this yet! He could really push air through those tubes!

10 Rahsaan! Where did you go?

11 Busting right out of the gates with a trumpet solo, I would tend to guess that it is Woody Shaw. I haven’t heard this, but I haven’t heard most of Woody Shaw’s stuff. I liked it fine, the best part about it was the trumpet solo. The band as a whole didn’t really knock me out for some reason.

12 This reminds me somewhat of Circle I think. Long sections with no identifiable time signature with arranged parts interspersed. Certainly a drummer who listens to his drums. I haven’t listened to Circle in a while though and I definitely don’t hear Anthony Braxton. Whoever is vocalizing in there, it sounds like they are playing with a ouiji board.

13 Man, that bass drum sounds great! I sure would have liked to have heard it in person. I’m really digging that open drum sound lately, as opposed to the more muffled sound that has become so common. This actually sounds like a drum. I hope this is a trumpet drums duet all the way through. The way they are pacing each other makes me think they are in for the long haul. That is one crazy ride sound. The quick decay makes me think flat and thick with extremely tapered edges. Hell, that might not even be a cymbal!

14 You’ve come up with some interesting cuts man. The cuts with the guitar all sound like they’re from the same era, coinciding with fusion, but firmly rooted in the spiritual soulfulness of the previous era. May be McLean, but I really haven’t listened to many of his records post-Blue Note. I know. I know. I hear a lot of crap on this recording. Pops and clicks and shit. I’m really having trouble identifying anything on your disc, but I’m liking it. This is pretty cool. I think I would have dug it a lot more six or seven years ago when I was in college and just getting into the music. Wah wah baby.

15 I know that tenor voice. I know it. I think. Dude, that electric bass is DEEP. Music like this can bring people together.

16 I like the fall in. Much reverb on the trumpeter and almost none on the rest of the band. You’ve chosen a lot of dark, more “post bop” cuts, and some skirting the fusion issue. Certainly “post Miles.” I feel like many of these cuts are all within a similar timeframe and many of them have similar motive. Definitely digging the music past track three as a mix, and would like to look further into some of this music when the mood hits. Thanks man!

Going back and reading my response to track three, it seems like the track quickly spoiled for me. At first I was intrigued by the tone of that trumpet, but it turned on me. I feel like a lot of what Jim is trying to say is what I was hearing, but I wasn't thinking it was Dubya. Hey, maybe it is. I really am not all that familiar with him. I've only heard him on the radio and in the Ken Burns thing.

Ah, what the hell. I was gonna save this for my plane trips next week, something to listen to on the new MP3 player while flying, but I got the disc in the player and I’m settling into a groove, so might as well let the usual cluelessness start flying:

Track 1 – no clue. This maybe sounds like one of those orchestral things that Jobim did in the 70’s.

Track 2 – Well, this has to be from Evans’ Riverside debut. Always wondered what this sounded like!

Track 3 – At the risk of inciting blasphemy, my first thought was that this was Wynton playing over one of those classical pieces he used to be so fond of. Then I figured it might be Miles and Gil, but no, this trumpeter sounds too much like he’s trying to say, “Look at what a technical wizard I am!” That just screams Wynton!!! So much so, that I lost interest at the 3:24 mark.

Forgive me if I’m wrong; shoot me if it’s someone who doesn’t deserve to be lumped in with you-know-who! :g

Track 4 – “Freedom Jazz Dance,” to be sure; let’s see if I can recognize anyone in the next 6 minutes! I sure dig the guitar accompaniment without the piano! I bet I could find out who this is thru an AMG search, but I wanna see if anyone comes to mind! That bass player is playin’ like fire! Could that be Billy Higgins reprising his role from the Eddie Harris record? That sure is his style! Gabor Zsabo on guitar? Ah well, song’s over; I’ll do some searchin’ after I’m all done with the whole disc!

Track 5 – Answered above, although I’m not convinced I got the track # correct; I gave away my copy as a gift to a friend years ago. The name of the song is “The Naked Camera,” though. I need to see this movie, even though much of this music isn’t in it!

Track 6 – If track 5 is Herbie in Blue Note mode, then this has to be Herbie in Sextant-era Mwandishi mode! Eddie Henderson and Bennie Maupin are da shizzit!!!

Track 7 – Thought it might be a version of Kenny Burrell’s “Chuckin’,” and maybe it is. Hell, what do I know? Still, the piano sounds like Herbie AGAIN! So maybe this is recent Herbie!

Track 8 – Not really sure what to make of this one. I don’t know if it just sounds too generic or whathaveyou, but nothing really stands out as being all that identifiable!

Track 9 – I know nothing about unaccompanied trumpet solos! No clue, no guess!

Track 10 – At 24 seconds, that little blast of cacophony was 48 seconds too long! :g

Track 11 – The tenor sounds like Shorter; the trumpet maybe Freddie? In fact, the more I listen to this, the more I want to say this is VSOP, despite the fact that I’ve never heard them! ORRRRRRR, maybe...... no, I just can’t do it. Who’d be so cruel as to put TWO tracks from you-know-who on a BFT? ;)

Track 12 – Lost interest very quickly. Not a big fan of this kind of piano playing. Wait, having said that, I don’t know what I was thinking! Lemme go back and listen again. Oh fercryinoutloud: that’s got to be Andrew Hill! DUHHHHHHH!!!!

Track 13 – Rooster sure loves them trumpet players! But there’s no piano player! Yet that’s gotta be Tony Williams on the skins! It’s not Miles, although he certainly recorded without pianos a bunch! No, it couldn’t be....... ;)

Track 14 – Ahhhhhhhhh! My kinda groove!!! I’d know Jackie Mac anywhere! Wow, a guitar with McLean! George Benson, maybe? And who is playing that wicked electric bass? No clue, but eager to find out! This has all the trappings of a CTI-type project!

Track 15 – Ahhhh, another guitar-instead-of-piano track. Maybe it’s Sonny with Jim Hall. Nah, the fidelity sounds a little too recent, Lovano perhaps?

Track 16 – Okay, you got me here! Could this be that really long track from the Herbie Hancock Quartet album with you-know-who? That’s all I’m coming up with, cuz that sure sounds like Tony Williams on the skins again.

Man, I’m gonna get reamed for a bunch of these. Time to go back and see just how badly I did!

Tom, I really enjoyed listening to this disc! I wasn't able to nail any of the tracks 100% but I sure had fun trying.

1) orchestra transitioning into solo piano. I have no clue when this was recorded. I have a difficult time getting my head around this track, as it sounds like a small snippet from a much larger selection.

2) At first I didn’t realize I was listening to a new track, but this sounds like someone else at piano. Around 1:30 in I’m getting either some distortion or some crackle from vinyl. Too short for me to have any idea who this is.

3) This track sounds like something from a film score. I almost hear someone “modern” (W?) trying to emulate the classic Miles / Gil Evans sound, Sketches of Spain keeps coming to mind for some reason. Not much gabbing me here. The arrangement seems really busy, but I’m not hearing any real depth.

4) Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, yeah! Nice change of pace from the last track. The bass and drums have a really nice groove going. Decent playing by the horn and guitar, but it’s the bass and drums that make this track for me.

5) This track sounds really familiar, but I can’t quite place it. I really enjoy this one. Very nice atmosphere, solid playing by all. This sounds very mid-late 1960’s to me. I’m looking forward to finding out who this is.

6) Very,very nice. It’s got a Mwandishi-era Herbie vibe to it, but it’s not that band. Something about this track doesn’t sound as fully-realized as the Mwandishi sides, but, as far as “second-tier” releases from the same era go this is really solid. Again, I’m really looking forward to finding out who this is.

7) No clue who this is, but this track is fantastic! Very lyrical playing. The time feels very elastic, but they all hold it together very nicely.

8) Rough, but endearing. I’m a fan of recordings that aren’t too polished. The trumpet player waivers a bit too much for my liking, but that is a minor quibble. No clue when this was recorded. Based on the fidelity I’m guessing this isn’t too recent, but I could be wrong.

9) The cherry on top of the sundae. Short, but sweet. No clue where this is from, but I have yet to hear a recording by him that disappointed me.

10) Speaking of brief – Rahsaan! One of those guys you can name based on one note.

11) Sounds like Woody Shaw. The bass and drums are buried in the mix, which makes me wonder if this is a live recording. This is a great performance! Fiery, and focused. I’d like to hear the rest of this disc.

12) This one isn’t really clicking for me. Everyone is playing their assess off, and the structure of the piece is unusual, but I’m just not feeling it. The “Scooby-doo” haunted house voice isn’t helping, either.

13) This one sounds like Woody again. I’m really enjoying the trumpet / drums duet. The drums just sound great. I don’t know if it is in the recording or in the tuning of the drums, but I really like the sound they are getting.

14) Some post-bop mixed with funk. Very 1970’s sounding track. No clue who this is, but the sax player sounds really familiar. This is nice enough, but doesn’t do all that much for me.

15) This sounds like Sam Rivers, but I’m not familiar with any albums of his that feature electric bass and guitar. Not as impressive as his “classic” albums, but this is still very solid.

16) The trumpet is reverbed to quite an amazing degree. This sounds like a slightly more reserved Toshinori Kondo to me. This group is playing with an almost too-restrained fire. I like the groove they have going, but wish they would cut loose a bit more. Sounds like a 1970’s European recording to my ears.

on to disc #2....

08 Yes, he’s got some cards up his sleeve. Yes he does. Something makes me want to say Sun Ra passengers. I think it is the strict quartered bass line. I really dig the waivering tone of the trumpet player. The obbligato front line between trumpet and tenor is fantastic. This is the way I like my jazz, a little rough around the edges. Tracks one through three really lacked any natural texture for me. Since then, everything has had something for me.

I wanted to say this the first time through, though I can't imagine that it could be...

The trumpet playing reminds me of Booker Little's tone. I've been listening to that Booker Little/Booker Ervin New York Sessions thing with Teddy Charles recently, and he was the first player that came to mind. I don't think it is him because he sounds slightly flat at times and his vibrato is a little quicker, and his lines aren't as sharply drawn, but he has that tone. Something worrisome in his playing. I still really like this track. I'm interested to see what other think of this.

An intriguing BFT #25 Tom, a few I recognised, many more had me sctatching my head. Thoughts so far:

(1) Orchestral intro - almost like film incidental music. Piano solo - very 'Ravelesque'. My first thoughts were Richard Rodney Bennet but could this perhaps be Bill Evans with Claus Ogerman from the rusty Verve box?

(2) Bill Evan's 'Waltz For Debby'. Very nice solo performance - I'm not sure it's by Bill though.

(3) Flugelhorn plus orchestra. Very 'Third Stream'. The horn player is an incredible technician, obviously conservatory trained. Sounds like Woody Shaw and Kenny Wheeler have both influenced the player. My initial thoughts were that it might be Ingrid Jensen but more likely it's one of 'Miles Best Pal's' projects. Don't know it but I must admit that I like it a lot ! ( :blink: )

(4) Guitar plus tenor post-bop groove. Early 70s by the sound of it, very flat recording quality. Tenor player sounds like Charlie Rouse. Don't know about the guitarist (Pat Martino without the technique a la "Bayia Clear Evidence" comes to mind). Sounds like it could be from a Strata-East session.

(5) Strong bass intro leading into a unison tenor and trumpet line. Tenorist sounds a lot like Joe Henderson. Don't know the track or the album.

(6) Instant recognition of a Skip Drinkwater Production done at Different Fur Trading, SF ( B-) ). Sounds like one of Eddie Henderson's Capricorn sessions but I don't have the 'Anthology' LPs to check. Lenny White on drums. Sounds like Dr. Pat Gleeson, Herbie and Bennie Maupin are in there too. Like it - very 'Sextant' :tup

(7) Wow - great unison intro. That's got to be Billy Higgins on drums and sounds like Clifford Jordan on tenor. Must be one of the tracks from 'Glass Bead Games' on Strata-East (I can't find the LPs to check..) If that is so then it's Sam Jones on bass (sounds like him) and Stanley Cowell on piano.

(8) Intriguing ! Piano vamp with trumpet lead and tenor lagging just slightly behind. Pianist reminds me a lot of Bobby Few. Trumpet player's technique is ragged but the playing is appealing. Eddie Gale? Don't recognise the track nor do I recognise the front line players. Early 70s vibe - one of the items from the 'Free America' reissues perhaps?

(9) First impression was that this was Don Cherry but on re-listen it sounded to me like something Miles might 'lay down' as an overdub on one of his 'post comeback' 1980s sessions.

(10) A cacophony of noise. Sounds familiar but can't quite place it !

(11) Recognised this one immediately. It's from the Nathan Davis 'Happy Girl' album. Woody Shaw on trumpet instantly recognisable. Shaw, Davis, Larry Young (on piano), the sadly late Jimmy Woode and Billy Brooks. Originally recorded by SABA in 1965, reissued on the 'Two Originals' CD put out by MPS. Track title is 'Mister E' (composition by Nathan Davis).

(12) Interesting piano intro - almost early Chick Corea-ish from around the time of the 'Now He Sings, Now He Sobs' LP for Solid State. Is this a track from the 'Complete "If" Sessions' 2CD Conn set?

(13) 'Live' trumpet. Sounds very much like Woody Shaw again but with just a drum accompaniment. Some of his favourite licks on this one but haven't a clue about where or when it was recorded.

(14) This is definitely a Woody Shaw tune but it isn't by Woody ! The tune is 'In The Land of the Blacks' which was originally recorded on the Muse 'Concert Ensemble' album (live Berlin performance). On that recording Rene McLean was on sax and this performance also sounds very much as if it could be Rene on alto. Could it possibly be from Rene McLean's 1975 Steeplechase album? (which I've never heard but has a lineup comparable to this one).

Superb track by the way - possibly my favourite on this CD. The original was a 'killer' too.

(15) Instantly recognisable tenor player is Sam Rivers and I think the tune is possibly one of his - 'Ripples' - which he played at one of the shows I saw here in the UK just a couple of months ago. Sounds like his regular trio but with the addition of a guitarist. Possibly from his latest CD? (which I haven't heard as yet). Some very laid-back Sam on this track.

(16) Trumpet plus quartet - nice performance. Hints of Charles Tolliver here and there but I'm certain it isn't him. Hmmmm...

A very nice disk - thanks for putting it together. Now for Disk 2 and the Woodys :rsmile:

Edited by sidewinder

Here's what I think I know -

2. "Waltz for Debby" - could be the composer playing but it doesn't sound like him to me.

11. "First One Up" - the name Darren Barrett comes to mind.

Several of the players on the disc sound familiar but this is always the case for me. I listen, think of a name and then try to convince myself that it's him (or her). 4. - the tenor sound seems like Charlie Rouse to me but the setting would be very unusual for him I should think. 5. - the name coming up here was Joe Henderson on tenor. 7. - tenor player yet again but this time I can't even hazard a name at all - and the same applies to the trumpet on 13. 14. - alto - Kenny Garrett?

Lots of interesting material. Some tracks I don't like but even then, mostly only in parts. There's usually something that clicks. I keep hoping that with more BFT practice, I will get better at guessing but unfortunately the reverse seems to be the case.

Thanks for a challenging test, RT! I will now, hopefully, satisfy my curiousity by looking at the other comments and then move on the disc 2.

Thanks for the discs Tom and all. Quite a nice listen after all tracks were sorted thru. Not much up my alley so I can only venture a few guesses. This mid-sixties electric period that much is derivative of is almost non-existent in my collection. Another ear-opener fer certain. On to the "fun" one. :)

Track 1 - Sounds like a George Winston soundtrack piece but I know not much of him these days since new age is old.

Track 2 - A bit of a Bill Evans Waltz? Just a snip from a solo. A beautiful Sunday morning opener.

Track 3 - Another soundtrack and maybe a Mark Isham mute. (which is what I did) Probably one of the Rooster's bootlegged trumpeters.

Track 4 - Now we got some sauce going. A "Freedom Jazz dance" of sorts but no idea of the players... an electric eddie harris thing?

Track 5 - "Naked Camera" from Hancock's 'Blow Up' w/ Hubbard / Henderson.

Not too certain of the facts on this discography. I had read that this was a British session thru and thru but notes said that Herbie was dissatisfied and laid it down in the states. Maybe some of the Brits can weigh in as to whether there exists some Rendell / Carr in here???

Track 6 - Nice segue from the same period and amazing that there is such a difference in them ideas. Got to be Miles but I have not listened hard enough to this era. For shame! Good jump point here!!!

Track 7 - No clue but very nice indeed. Lovano comes to mind but not husky enough.

Track 8 - No idea. If I new my trumpet players that drunken warble at times would be the tipper.

Track 9 - Same excuse but not as drunk. It swings.

Track 10 - Clip from Kirk?? that siren at the end. Byard on there??

Track 11 - Rocker... but no idea... sounds very new in that Blue Note revival era.

Track 12 - Another in the same genre/period. No styles come to mind here. Geri Allen but not outside enough - great piece though. Very interested in the guesses from the astute.

Track 13 - A little Woody tidbit. No clue at all.

Track 14 - Good one for being electric

Track 15 - ?

Track 1 - My favorite of the whole sheebang. Embodies that Hancock / Miles / Electrix and the broody mood of those "soundtrack" cuts. The splashiness sez Willams a bit but the piano is other than Hancock.

wheeew! What a whirlwind.