Elvis Costello

GregK

Sure - he's one who has done some very interesting things in different areas over the years. I myself am not crazy about all of it, but he's for real. I think his "Breaking Us In Two" could have some legs the way that EC's "Alison" or "Baby Plays Around" have - anyone know other versions of that one? Jackson has a much better grasp of harmony than Costello or the other guitar guys - he attended music school, was a member of the National Youth Jazz Orchestra, etc. So when he writes a simple pop tune, you can find some interesting subtle twists in there. I think he sometimes gets in over his head though.

Mike

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure - he's one who has done some very interesting things in different areas over the years. I myself am not crazy about all of it, but he's for real. I think his "Breaking Us In Two" could have some legs the way that EC's "Alison" or "Baby Plays Around" have - anyone know other versions of that one? Jackson has a much better grasp of harmony than Costello or the other guitar guys - he attended music school, was a member of the National Youth Jazz Orchestra, etc. So when he writes a simple pop tune, you can find some interesting subtle twists in there. I think he sometimes gets in over his head though.

Mike

Yeah, especially when he tries to indulge his classical sensibilities. (What was the name of that awful album with the cover that looked like a rug that you find at a garage sale?) But you are correct about his ability to churn out a hit single. And the man can rock out like nobody’s business, especially with the original JJ Band. Their reunion and new album was one of the few times that something like that WASN’T embarrassing. In fact, “Volume 4” was one of the best albums of the year! Sure not as epochal as those first two albums, but a highly worthy addition to the catalog of the JJ Band! Plus, it rocks!!! Here’s hoping they’ll stick around for a few more albums before JJ follows his next muse.

Actually, I didn't mind the "rug" album - Will Power - too much, if my memory serves me well. It may not have been a masterpiece, but there were some interesting things going on. I haven't heard the other classical things like Symphony No. 1.

Mike

I'll have to relisten to this (and maybe check out the others) in light of Costello's attempt (Il Sogno). I suspect that Jackson is more capable in this area.

Edited by Michael Fitzgerald

Steering this thread back to the title topic, I'm really digging the recent Costello disc the Delivery Man. After listening to it and some of the reissues, I gotta say it is one of his very best. I only wish I had seen them when they played here a month ago!

Speaking of Graham Parker, I like him, but I made the mistake of buying Squeezing Out Sparks first. Then everything I heard since then, including all the earlier albums, never sounded as good. In other words, with Costello ranging so widely over different styles and sounds over the years, it's hard to say that any single Costello album is the one unequivical "best"----whereas clearly, SOS is Parker's best. Every once in a while I'll give it a spin and still dig it. The Rumour were such a great band, and the songs and production on Sparks are top-notch.

Still haven't heard the latest Costello album. From what I read here, sounds well worth it.

I :wub: Nick Lowe and I don't care who knows it.

I just started listening to his music. The only thing I knew about him was that he produced Elvis's early records, wrote 'What's so Funny 'bout Peace, Love and Understanding', and had one hit with "Cruel to be Kind".

I got the CD '16 All-Time Lowe's' a few months back and I really liked it. What a great pop writer he is. "When I write the Book" and "Little Hitler" almost seem like precursors to the Elvis tunes that bear similar names. "(I Love the Sound of) Breaking Glass", "Big Kick, Plain Scrap", and "So It Goes" all get stuck in your head with those sticky hooks and quickly memorizable guitar solos (a la George Harrison). "Nutted by Reality" has a McCartney & Wings flavor and "basing Street" is haunting and beautiful.

I must now go out and get 'Jesus of Cool', 'Labour of Lust', and the Rockpile record 'Seconds of Pleasure' so I can hear the rest of Mr. Lowe's golden era.

I predict that you will love "Labour of Lust"! I also highly recommend Lowe's "Party of One" album from his 'comeback' period of the early 90's. (Or you might call it his middle period at this point.) And don't forget Pinker and Prouder Than Previous. Despite a not-so-great title and a terrible front cover, this is a solid Nick Lowe album.

Still haven't heard the latest Costello album.  From what I read here, sounds well worth it.

Yep, it's good, although slightly front loaded, as it starts to drop off near the end, but not by much. I just got When I was Cruel today from yourmusic.com, which I've read about as being his best rock album since the 70s. Whether that's true or not, I'll enjoy finding out!

Yep, it's good, although slightly front loaded, as it starts to drop off near the end, but not by much. I just got When I was Cruel today from yourmusic.com, which I've read about as being his best rock album since the 70s. Whether that's true or not, I'll enjoy finding out!

Funny, I did not get into Delivery Man until I started playing the tracks in reverse order :) I also added "She's Pulling Out the Pin" to the mix - it has more of an "classic Elvis" sound to it. This band is coming to KC in August and I can't wait to see them. There is also a new DVD out that has this band playing in Memphis - it is a very cool show.

Re: When I Was Cruel - I think it is pretty good, although you need to wade through the filler. One track that you can sleep on (it is towards the end of the CD) is "Episode of Blonde". The wordplay is a little goofy, but to me it sounds like it could have come off Trust or Armed Forces. While I am not pining for "retro-Elvis", it is good to hear that he still has it in him.

Edited by Eric

BruceH Posted Today, 01:19 PM

QUOTE(Johnny E @ May 23 2005, 04:39 PM)

I got the CD '16 All-Time Lowe's' a few months back and I really liked it. What a great pop writer he is. "When I write the Book" and "Little Hitler" almost seem like precursors to the Elvis tunes that bear similar names. "(I Love the Sound of) Breaking Glass", "Big Kick, Plain Scrap", and "So It Goes" all get stuck in your head with those sticky hooks and quickly memorizable guitar solos (a la George Harrison). "Nutted by Reality" has a McCartney & Wings flavor and "basing Street" is haunting and beautiful.

I must now go out and get 'Jesus of Cool', 'Labour of Lust', and the Rockpile record 'Seconds of Pleasure' so I can hear the rest of Mr. Lowe's golden era.

I predict that you will love "Labour of Lust"! I also highly recommend Lowe's "Party of One" album from his 'comeback' period of the early 90's. (Or you might call it his middle period at this point.) And don't forget Pinker and Prouder Than Previous. Despite a not-so-great title and a terrible front cover, this is a solid Nick Lowe album.

I agree with what BruceH wrote. A few days ago I listened to Party of One for the first time in years and it really holds up.

Party of One is a real "touchstone" Nick Lowe album for me. It came along at a time when I had sort of written him off; it not only changed my mind (proving that he still had the old compositional and singing chops) but caused me to re-evaluate his first decade or so of work, getting into it more than ever. For the first time I saw Labour of Lust as a more consistent and in some ways solider album than his first, Pure Pop, rather than a weak followup. I got into albums that I had previously dismissed for the undeniable few gems that even the least of them had, and began to appreciate the joys of his many middlin' songs. Kind of a Lowe revival, you might say.

• 1 year later...

And you probably thought you were done with Elvis reissues, didn't ya?

NEW YORK (Billboard) - Universal Music's reissue arm has acquired 11 albums from

Elvis Costello's early catalog, with plans to re-release the British musician's material via deluxe editions, compilations and box sets.

The albums acquired begin with Costello's 1977 debut, "My Aim Is True," and continue through "This Year's Model" (1978), "Armed Forces" (1979), "Get Happy!!" (1980), "Almost Blue" (1981), "Trust" (1981), "Imperial Bedroom" (1982), "Punch the Clock" (1983), "Goodbye Cruel World" (1986), "King of America" (1986) and "Blood and Chocolate" (1986).

Although these albums have already been reissued in expanded form by Rykodisc as well as Rhino, Universal Music Enterprises promises its new versions will be the "definitive reissues." The company also plans to produce limited edition releases for its Hip-O Select imprint, DVDs of videos and concerts and usher Costello's music into new formats such as ringtones.

I was slow picking up some of the Rykos & then Rhinos, so maybe it pays to procrastinate. Then again, maybe I'll stick with the vinyl with some of the above and wait for the reissue after the next.

I see that nobody has mentioned Costello's two latest releases: My Flame Burns Blue and The River in Reverse.

My Flame... is Costello's first "offical" live album. It is an interesting experiment in scoring several of Costello's old songs (and some new ones) for a big band setting (the Metropole Orkest). "Watching the Detectives" sounds like something from the "Anatomy of a Murder" soundtrack!

The River in Reverse is Costello's collaboration with Alan Toussaint. It is simply incredible. Can't get enough of it. My only regret is that Toussaint doesn't sing on it (except for one track). Instrumentally outstanding (hearing Steve Neive teamed up with Toussaint on keys is amazing), wonderfully written, and beautifully sung (check out "Freedom for the Stallion"). Costello's best in years, and that's saying something.

I see that nobody has mentioned Costello's two latest releases: My Flame Burns Blue and The River in Reverse.

My Flame... is Costello's first "offical" live album. It is an interesting experiment in scoring several of Costello's old songs (and some new ones) for a big band setting (the Metropole Orkest). "Watching the Detectives" sounds like something from the "Anatomy of a Murder" soundtrack!

The River in Reverse is Costello's collaboration with Alan Toussaint. It is simply incredible. Can't get enough of it. My only regret is that Toussaint doesn't sing on it (except for one track). Instrumentally outstanding (hearing Steve Neive teamed up with Toussaint on keys is amazing), wonderfully written, and beautifully sung (check out "Freedom for the Stallion"). Costello's best in years, and that's saying something.

Got to say--I saw Costello with the Charles Mingus Orchestra, way back when he was just getting his lyrics to Hora Decubitus worked out. It was a pretty successful collaboration, and the band was on fire (a fine Haitian Fight Song, if I remember correctly--and they did a wild version of Costello's Chewing Gum). I picked up 'My Flame...' just to hear some of these lyrics set to wax--honestly, though, I thought the CM Orchestra arrangements were much, much better--no gloss, pure grime. I think Costello works best in more intimate environs, anyhow. Your mention of ...Detectives jolted some memories--we got the same sort of 'Bernstein-esque' treatment back at the Royce Hall concert.

I'm waiting for the second deluxe edition reissue; or maybe I'll just go get the vinyl

I first saw Elvis at a club in Edinburough in the summer of '76. Never heard of him before but ended up dancing on the tables. Went back to Toronto and told all my students about him. They laughed. A year later he was playing the biggest hall in town. Then got to see him at the El Mocombo (the concert that's in the Ryko box-- which btw leaves out Nick Lowe sitting in and singing "I Love the Sound of Breaking Glass"). By the time I moved to L.A, I had to go to the Greek to see him. Sort of lost interest until The River in Reverse but then I'm a big Alan Toussaint fan (even if I've probably spelled his name wrong).

Then got to see him at the El Mocombo (the concert that's in the Ryko box)

How close were you to the loud guy in the audience whose screaming almost drowns out the band? :P

:lol::lol:

man i remember when i got that box long ago ... pulled off my woofers and went in and strangled that guy - actually i just messed up his hair which really made him mad.

:party: WEEEHOOOOO! :party:

How close were you to the loud guy in the audience whose screaming almost drowns out the band? :P

I always wondered if this guy was the reason Elvis has has stayed away from live recordings for so long.

I always wondered if this guy was the reason Elvis has has stayed away from live recordings for so long.

Where we were sitting we didn't notice him. The band was really loud. My wife has worn ear plugs to concerts ever since.