Ever walked out of a movie?

It's because of that movie that I have resolved to never, ever see another Bruce Willis flick.

Oh, I don't know that I could say that. Bruce Willis movies are pretty sub-standard, usually, but I really liked "Last Man Standing". It could have been because my guy Christopher Walken was part of the cast. His small part, for me, made the rest of the film worth seeing. The film was a gangster movie set in a dusty western town and was quite interesting and unusual, I thought.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've been meaning to ask this important ??

anyone ever fart in the movie theater?

:cool:

Hmm boy! Well uh it was in Spy Hard and Leslie Neilsen says "Love, let me tell you about love". And well, just as he paused, I farted. One of those that you just don't expect and gee whiz it was LOUD. Of course there was only about a dozen people in the place. :wub:

Of couse my buddy told me later that it was the funniest part in the film.

• 4 months later...

Sorry to ressurect this thread but as I type my wife is watching Sin City in the living room. I had to let it pass about 10 minutes ago.

Granted, it's all very clever, production wise, but as a non-comic-book-geek I find it a bit self indulgent. And that's coming from a jazz fan :P

The one time I came closest was at a special screening that the film class I was taking at UCSD did of Ulysses. Nothing about this film was making any sense to me, and I finally made up my mind to walk out, then Joseph Strick, who directed the film, suddenly stands up a starts yelling at the projectionist "You a**hole, you have the reels out of order!!!" Whew, I thought I was losing my mind for a moment. :crazy:

Edited by Matthew

My wife amd I both decided to walk out on "Mash" and did. We later avoided the TV series for about a year because we were both so turned off by the movie. Another example of the validity of the wisdome of 'Tain't watcha do, it's the way atcha do it'. We later caught on to the TV series and to the early episodes.

Later I heard an interview with the original author of the book, who hated the TV series and loved the movie. Go figure. :angry:

My wife amd I both decided to walk out on "Mash" and did.  We later avoided the TV series for about a year because we were both so turned off by the movie. Another example of the validity of the wisdome of 'Tain't watcha do, it's the way atcha do it'. We later caught on to the TV series and to the early episodes.

Later I heard an interview with the original author of the book, who hated the TV series and loved the movie. Go figure. :angry:

Altman's film is absolutely brilliant. One of the best things he's EVER done. I don't understand people who don't like "M*A*S*H."

When I was a kid, and all I KNEW was the TV series, I was a bit put off when I saw the movie for the first time. I remember watching Donald Sutherland and Eliot Gould and thinking, "That's Hawkeye?! That's Trapper?" I had a similar reaction the first time I saw the film version of "The Odd Couple" having grown up on the series.

Now that I "get it," I understand that in both cases the TV shows missed the point of the films entirely. "M*A*S*H" is NOT about funny doctors. It's about the insanity of war and the absurdity of military life (quite similar to "Catch-22" in this regard). It's not a comedy. It's a black comedy. It's gallows humor. The TV show, with its laugh track, drains all of the vitality out of that scenario.

Similarly, "The Odd Couple" is NOT about a neat guy living with a messy guy. It's about men of the silent generation learning to cope with the world of the sexual revolution. These men were raised with an expectation of marriage that was suddenly no longer true, and found themselves unable to take care of themselves (they had been raised on the expectation that they would never take care of themselves, but that their wives would fulfill that fuction). In their brief co-habitation (people often forget that Felix moves out at the end of the play/film) Oscar and Felix come to recognize the shortcomings in themselves that caused their marriages to self-destruct. By becoming one another's "wives" they see how they were poor husbands and see the necessity of becoming complete human beings in their own right.

Both "M*A*S*H" and "The Odd Couple" were insightful comments on their times that became bland sit-coms.

I thought in the first season of the MASH series the writers at least attempted to preserve aspects of the movie- it was darker, less PC for sure. Then it was "bleached" for mass consumption and became the "laugh track sitcom" for the rest of its duration.

I remember hearing Altman really hated the series, no surprise there though.

I thought in the first season of the MASH series the writers at least attempted to preserve aspects of the movie- it was darker, less PC for sure. Then it was "bleached" for mass consumption and became the "laugh track sitcom" for the rest of its duration.

I remember hearing Altman really hated the series, no surprise there though.

I agree about the first season of MASH. Although there were a few macabrely humourous scenes in the film and the first season, I wouldn't describe the original premise of MASH as a comedy. It was, indeed, about the horror and the utter futility of war. In fact, it made, brilliantly, the point that I struggle to make about how we keep on waging war, despite the fact that war itself is an affront to everything we should believe about how human beings should deal with each other.

But, forgive me, I always thought that the series' downhill slide after the first season was because it was a huge success and the writers began to realize that they had created major stars of the actors in it. After that, and this is only my opinion, the episodes were built around the individual characters and their sudden popularity and not around the core story. Lots of people love this series, but I mourned the original darkness' passing. It became the Hogan's Heroes of it's era, IMO.

And Alexander is right about the Odd Couple series vs. the original film, which was brilliantly funny and sad at the same time. The series missed that. In fact, the idea that these two men were doomed to live together forever was scary.

Edited by patricia

Here's a movie I felt like walking out on: Speilberg's AI.  The damn thing just kept getting worse, and worse, and WORSE as it went along.  And it seemed like it was five hours long.  I sure wouldn't blame anyone for walking out.

Yes. I thought that film started very promising but by the time it got to the circus/carnival/freak show bit I just wanted to cringe, despite it's metaphorical meanings etc. The hot air balloon sequence was like someone doing a piss poor Roald Dahl pastiche.

Shame because I really wanted to like it and have yet to see past that point.

Here's a movie I felt like walking out on: Speilberg's AI.  The damn thing just kept getting worse, and worse, and WORSE as it went along.  And it seemed like it was five hours long.  I sure wouldn't blame anyone for walking out.

Yep. Hated that film. Didn't walk out on it, though. I don't think I've ever walked out of a movie (unless there was a technical problem that prevented me from watching the movie, like when the sound kept cutting out of "G.I. Jane"). My wife walked out of "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas," but I liked it so I stayed (my wife actually accused me of dragging her to the movie under false pretenses, since I had read the book and knew exactly what it was about). :g