Ever walked out of a movie?

"Blue Lagoon" & "Rambo", both within the first 20 minutes.

My question to you, Jim, is what were you thinking when you paid your money to get in in the first place?

That either of these movies were going to be "<really hapnin'>"? :huh::g:crazy::bad::alien::party::ph34r:

"Blue Lagoon" - I was on the road in some burg, bored shitless, wide awake, and foolishly succumbed to the urge to do something "normal". When will I ever learn?

"Rambo" - a friend of my wife harrangued us for weeks to go see this with her. She dug the action. I protested every step of the way, but finally we both figured that the only way to get this chick to shut up about the damn movie was to go see it with her. My wife was to polite to leave, but hey, it was her friend, not mine, so I went next door and rented a copy of "Blue Lagoon". :g

Not really - I went out to the car and took a nap. When the two of them came back, the Rambophile started telling me what a good movie I had missed, and I finally had to tell her, "No disrespect, Peggy, but please shut the hell up about g.d. Rambo!" She kept going on, and I repeated myself every few seconds until she finally took me seriously. Maybe it was pulling the car over to the curb in the middle of heavy traffic to deliver the final admonition that did the trick. Who knows?

Peggy remained a friend, but we never went to a movie with her again. Works for me!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, if people like Ben Stiller's shtick, fine; I can only take it in small doses. Pair that with Robert De Niro doing yet ANOTHER parody of his "Taxi Driver" persona, and a gorgeous blond who wants to stay with Stiller's schlub despite the fact that he has LOSER written all over him.....

So, how's about y'all?

Talk about a different perspective. While I don't think Meet the Parents is a particularly great film, what makes the movie work is that people (or at least young people) can really identify with Stiller's character. (I cringed through the whole thing as I imagined myself in Focker's shoes.) Focker's not a loser - he's a regular guy who gets the shaft even though his actions seem to be mostly reasonable responses to the situation he's found himself in. It's a very weird movie because you have Stiller playing a very realistic character (who hasn't wanted to throttle an officious airline official before?) juxtaposed with De Niro's ridiculous caricature of the control-freak dad.

I saw the follow up  movie to "Meet The Parents" while I didn't walk out I was disappointed.

The sequel, as is usual with sequels, is a different story. While I thought Hoffman and Streisand did very nicely, there's nothing even close to real about Meet the Fockers. Losing one's virginity to the housekeeper? Funny, maybe, if you have good writers, but not something that really resonates with anyone in the audience.

Edited by Big Wheel

Hey, if people like Ben Stiller's shtick, fine; I can only take it in small doses. Pair that with Robert De Niro doing yet ANOTHER parody of his "Taxi Driver" persona, and a gorgeous blond who wants to stay with Stiller's schlub despite the fact that he has LOSER written all over him.....

So, how's about y'all?

Talk about a different perspective. While I don't think Meet the Parents is a particularly great film, what makes the movie work is that people (or at least young people) can really identify with Stiller's character. (I cringed through the whole thing as I imagined myself in Focker's shoes.) Focker's not a loser - he's a regular guy who gets the shaft even though his actions seem to be mostly reasonable responses to the situation he's found himself in. It's a very weird movie because you have Stiller playing a very realistic character (who hasn't wanted to throttle an officious airline official before?) juxtaposed with De Niro's ridiculous caricature of the control-freak dad.

Wheel, I can dig your take. Like I said, until I saw Al's reaction, I thought I was the only clown on Earth who hated it. It was contrived to the extreme. The script was for adolescents. Respectfully, I disagree. ...there was nothing real about any of the characters. Was there? Oh lordy, here it comes again.... :bad:;)

Happiness

There is a scene where, upon being busted for raping his son's friend, the father explains to his son that he will never rape him. I am hardly a prude, but that was just too much for me.

Oh, and Wild Orchid, which royally sucked, despite the hotness of my fellow Kansan, Carre Otis.

I remember the movie we walked out of... it was ONE NIGHT AT McCOOL'S

(why was I there to begin with? probably one of those nights where you get a babysitter but don't really have anything good planned so at the last minute you head to the movies where nothing is playing and then BAM... next thing you know your watchin' McCOOL'S)

Only once-- and I've seen hundreds of bad movies. But I was watching the much praised "Chant of Jmmy Blackstmith" (I think that's the title) at the Cannes film Festival no less, when my lovely wife turned to me and said "If there's one more shot of a fly buzzing against a screen I'm walking out." There was and we did.

The first movie i ever walked out on was "Love at First Bite." Given what I do for a living and how many films I see, one would think that I'd walk out on more, but it's actually a pretty rare occurance. I did walk out on "Antz" after the first five minutes and got my money back, but part of that was due to a projection problem (though I still thought the movie pretty bad after I did get around to seeing it).

To digress, did I ever tell you the time I convinced a group of co-workers to see "Bird" the weekend that it opened? Well, the arrangements were left up to a very cute but not exceptionally bright gal and we made a half-drunk pilgramage to the nearest drive-in to see it... only to discover that she misunderstood what we wanted to see and instead took up to see the other film opening that weekend: "The Burbs." :lol: It wasn't so funny then... :(

The first movie i ever walked out on was "Love at First Bite."....  .

Man! You have a sense of humor, how can that be??? :o with great lines such as....

Dracula: I'm going out for a bite to drink.

Dracula: Children of the night, shut up! :g:rolleyes:

Ok, a flawed film for sure, but very 70's and Richard Benjamin's best role. I mean Come on, flashing Dracula his Jewish star, trying to kill him with a silver bullet in the heart , an Oscar worthy performance for sure!

If I would drag myself to see all the films you guys mention here, I suppose I'd have walked out of several dozens of them...

I try to avoid films I would walk out, and usually pretty successful, too.

The only thing I can remember almost walking out of was when I went to see some Austrian stuff, and before the main film they had some Nitsch shorties... pretty ugly sh*tte, I tellya!

The first movie i ever walked out on was "Love at First Bite."....  .

Man! You have a sense of humor, how can that be??? :o with great lines such as....

Dracula: I'm going out for a bite to drink.

Dracula: Children of the night, shut up! :g:rolleyes:

Ok, a flawed film for sure, but very 70's and Richard Benjamin's best role. I mean Come on, flashing Dracula his Jewish star, trying to kill him with a silver bullet in the heart , an Oscar worthy performance for sure!

I completely agree with Berigan, and not just because I always quote that film whenever the subject of a quickie comes up with my wife:

"With you, never a quickie. Always a longie."

:g

I walked out of Platoon. Not because of the movie itself, but becuase of the idiot teenagers behind me trying to cope with the battle scenes by laughing.

It was leave or sock one of them. I made the right choice.

--eric

That was not a problem when I saw the film. The moment the movie began, it became the most eerily quiet theater I've ever been in. Not a popcorn movie - and no one was eating anything, let alone laughing.

I walked out of Platoon. Not because of the movie itself, but becuase of the idiot teenagers behind me trying to cope with the battle scenes by laughing.

It was leave or sock one of them. I made the right choice.

--eric

That was not a problem when I saw the film. The moment the movie began, it became the most eerily quiet theater I've ever been in. Not a popcorn movie - and no one was eating anything, let alone laughing.

Well, that's about where my head was at, so whispering and laughing was really infuriating :rmad:

I don't think I've ever had the chance to watch the movie all the way through.

--eric

I walked out of Andy Warhol's "Chelsea Girls" back in the late 1960's. Of course, we had already sat through more than 2 hours of this snoozefest.

I usually will stick it out these days, even if I'm hating the movie, which is rare. I try to read up on a movie before choosing to see it. Still have been burned a few times, however.

Years ago, I went to see "Looking For Mr Goodbar", which I was really not liking, when the power in the theater failed in the middle of the showing. The theater gave us free passes to come back another time. We waited until something else was playing before we used them. Saved!

never walked out of one myself but my wife has walked out of a few including "The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover" right at the scene where they lop the belly button off the kid. that's one I should certainly have joined her on. but then again my wife walked out when Ornette started playing the violin!

i have changed seats many times due to the behavior of patrons in my vicinity. i remember leaning over before the lights dimmed to kindly let a mother and her three little kids know that "Serial Mom" might not be quite appropriate all things considered - her response was: "Why don't you fucking mind your own goddamn biznitz, asshole." :blush:

never walked out of one myself but my wife has walked out of a few including "The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover" right at the scene where they lop the belly button off the kid.  that's one I should certainly have joined her on.  but then again my wife walked out when Ornette started playing the violin!

i have changed seats many times due to the behavior of patrons in my vicinity.  i remember leaning over before the lights dimmed to kindly let a mother and her three little kids know that  "Serial Mom" might not be quite appropriate all things considered - her response was: "Why don't you fucking mind your own goddamn biznitz, asshole." :blush:

:lol:

Now about "The Cook..." - no chance I would have walked out of that one! Add Ferreris's "La grande bouffe" to your must-see list, please!

Yesterday I saw "Berlin - Sinfonie einer Grossstadt" (the original film from the twenties), and some walked out, but my guess is they walked out rather becasue of the stoopid DJ doing electronics (instead of a piano player...) than because of the film itself.