A proposal....

Nate Dorward

It's been months since BFT 25 got under way & I still haven't even seen the discs. I'm not that concerned about that--I figure it's time to get on to #26 anyway (I already have it in hand: thanks John!)--but it occurs to me that to avoid this happening again, maybe a good idea would be to have less "flex time" built into the passing of the baton. E.g.: have exactly one BFT per month, & it goes ahead regardless on the 1st of the month, even if the previous BFT gets way off track. That way if one of them falls victim of disorganization, slow post, whatever, then the subsequent BFT doesn't fall vicitim of the bottleneck. -- & that way we'd know: there's exactly 12 BFTs per year, regularly spaced.

My 2 cents, anyway. What do people think?

Sounds like a good idea to me. Everybody would know their date of start and would be able to request a change in good time if something likely to cause problems - vacations/holidays, business commitments, expected emergence of offspring and so on. I don't see any objection to having more than one BFT running at the same time - BFT's can just trail off in much the same way as AOTW's and other threads do, some lasting much longer than others.

Its not a bad idea, though it won't necessarily speed things up, because I think at one point we were doing a bit better than one per month. But it may very well be worth it because, as noted above, future compiler can know exactly when they need to be ready.

One question I would have is, what precisely gets started on the first of the month? The BFT discussion? Or the shipping of the new BFT? If we're talking about a month for discussion/answers, then we're also basically saying that the signup should start on the first of the prior month, with shipping around the 15th of the prior month.

Yes, I think last year it was going at a pace of about once every 3 weeks. But at the moment it's one a month mostly, except #25 which was a month late. You could of course set the drop times 3 weeks apart rather than a month but then it'd require sitting down with a calendar to figure out everything.... once a month is a lot easier to remember & calculate!

Re: scheduling: You could do it either way but it doesn't seem a bad idea to have the signup thread start exactly one month prior to the start of the actual BFT thread, & the compiler gets discs out by mid-month. If everything goes according to schedule that would mean things more or less would be the same system already in place (signups for the next BFT get underway as the previous BFT's discussion thread starts up)--my intention is just that if somehow one of the BFT is very late then the other one doesn't get indefinitely postponed.

sounds like a fine plan. :tup

when it was in the single digits the test was flying along and pretty much was on course up until the month-and-a-half of bft 25 and that with only a third of the folks even responding whether or not they got it.

seems the thing went into chug mode with the double disc + mailings. great to get lots of stuff but a big burden on the fine organissimites who handled mailings and even burning of mosaic select equivelants for the compiler.

one disc a month. sixty cent stamp on an envelope. ten cent disc inside. cueing up the bastards to get some elusive cut you fell in love with ,,, pricless.

WWMD?

I would be happy if a 60 cent stamp would do it! I spent probably 20 or 25$ to spread my BFT (it would not have been any cheaper, I think, had it been one disc).

Also I don't think this depends on the number of discs... it depends on the state of mind the BFT originator deals with, considering the number of discs. I think I pulled mine as smoothly as the 1-disc BFTs went, no? And believe, me, I had lots of things running at the same time, too, that kind of life that hits, now and then, if Swallow is to be believed (but being Carla's "steady-gig" I am inclined to believe him).

Not to spoil the party but:

- when does sign-up start? (proposal first week of previous month)

- when do discs have to be sent out? (proposal: plan in order that everybody has them by the first of the month)

- when are answers revealed? (proposal: third week of the month)

If we just say "one BFT per month" I got an itch it won't work any different from how it worked so far... one sends out his discs at the 20th of "his" month, the next one two days later....

If we just want to agree that the month sort of "belongs" to one particular BFT that would result in pretty little interest in the BFT sent out too late (just what we see happening to Rooster's now). If we all agree that this is ok, and it's the BFT starter's problem to avoid it, fine with me, but we ought to make mention of it, if we deal with these questions, at all.

I think the schedule should be exactly as you delineate it:

Signup starts on or around the first of the previous month.

Shipping on or around the 15th of the previous month.

Discussion on or around the first of the scheduled month.

Answers on or around the third week of the scheduled month, depending on the extent of the discussion.

If some people are going to do these things on their own schedule, regardless, maybe it would help to add these target dates to the "Master List" as a subtle reminder of what compilers are expected to do?

this bft idea started in august of 2003. 22 months later we are up to test 26. had #25 gone ahead as planned (two months to ship some freekin cds?) we'd have been at test 27, at least, by now. that rate of fast and furious would probably take us up to #s 29 or 30 by the two year mark.

once again i think these double discs sets quag the whole deal down regardless of how great or fun they might be and no disrespect to those who pulled them off. more importantly a single session sure makes it a whole lot easier on all the friendly folk who give time and dough to put together the logistics for distribution and the like for the compliler.

true a stricter schedule would allow anybody to send out as much as they want but, sheesh, i can see some stephen king scenario playing out where we who are in so much need of more music to listen to are drawn, quartered and decapitated by shiny silver odd-job frisbees when all of our cdrs come to life.

... i can see some stephen king scenario playing out where we who are in so much need of more music to listen to are drawn, quartered and decapitated by shiny silver odd-job frisbees when all of our cdrs come to life.

duck!

ani_computertower_flying_cds_lg_blk.gif

You know I often happen to have superfluous duck...uhm...tape... that should be able to keep your drive closed!

I see another scary scenario: some BFT junkies going berserk all over the board if the sign-up thread does not start in time, making Hitler jokes that are *not* funny in the one remaining non-political part of the forum..., then, if the discs are not sent out at the right time, they pull some voodoo tricks, whille others just start getting nervous breakdowns and lose control over their actions and go pee-pee all over their Butch Warren CDs... finally, if the discs are not around by the first of the designated month... uh, I wouldn't want to be close to any of those victims of blindfoldtestalitis, no Sir! I will hide in a corner where no one will suspect me, and if anyone will try and get me, I'll have Pile and Cotice defending me, as well as - a last mean of defense, but a final one, I tellya! - the infamous paternoster-strike.

Just wanted to post this to say to y'all: you've been warned! :crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:

...... c'mon guys, let's not take it too serious ......

I don't think I took it too serious - I myself find the notion of one month per BFT helpful, but what I wanted to say is that a month, with all the burning and mailing considered, is not a long enough timeframe for everyone to do his BFT just as he likes. If someone goes for the sign-up early in "his" month, discussion will only start in the next month - that was the only thing I wanted to say, when I propoesed that timeframe above. For me, things have worked more than well like they went so far, but if a majority wants to set up this monthly scheme, I'd be all for it.