Why do most music store employees play crap???

pasta

why? why? if they're playing "punk", it's blink 182 instead of, say, the damned. if it's jazz, they're playing norah jones instead of chris connor. you get the picture.....and it's NOT because it's teens working there...........christ almighty. hey, let's play some hard rock out of the four hard rock bands we know, zeppelin, sabbath, van halen, skynyrd!!!! morons. went to a local store here that carries vinyl (DID score a nice sealed copy of a horace silver comp "sterling silver"), and was subjected to SUPE LOUD ANNOYING RACIST/SEXIST GANGSTA RAP! swell, then a shoegazer/trip hop slab of crap about cereal. all so FUCKIN LOUD YOU CAN BARELY THINK. assholes! and then at the counter, the "hip" employee with a "hip" che guevera shirt...................doubt he could name the country old che lived in...................grumble grumble grumble....

In the last year I've walked out of a couple of different music stores because they were playing their "background" music way too loud. In both cases when I asked politely, in a funny self deprecating sort of way, if they would turn down the music they refused. Apparently these days the customer is not always right....

...either that or my delivery really sucks! :lol:

When I worked at B&N, the policy was that we had to play the discs the company sent us each month. For the most part, the selection was horrible. Once in a great while, something decent would slip through (and we'd play it to the point where we were all sick to death of it). Now speaking personally, I brought my own discs from home and played good music my whole shift. It was always very good for business. Can't tell you how many copies of "Lester Young with Oscar Peterson" I sold while I worked there (I sold at least one copy every time I played). Did it for years, until I got caught...

Now I don't work at B&N anymore.

Oh well! :huh:

Don't know what Borders is like these days, but when I left, they were talking about moving towards a rotating monthly playlist. :tdown I'd generally rather hear what the clerks are playing than what the company wants you to hear (probably whatever artists are on the co-ops that month).

I'm surprised you heard gangsta rap on the overhead (if it was indeed a chain store). We did have a policy against playing anything w/profanity in it (which kept my fave Elliott Smith off the overhead, as he occasionally liked to throw in the word "f*&$ing" in the middle of a beautiful ballad), which eliminated, oh, 98% of gangsta rap.

The stores I shop at, especially Stereo Jack's, play good music. The chains generally dictate what is played, so don't blame it on the peons. Stick to the used and independent stores and you'll hear some good, or at least interesting, music.

The stores I shop at, especially Stereo Jack's, play good music. The chains generally dictate what is played, so don't blame it on the peons. Stick to the used and independent stores and you'll hear some good, or at least interesting, music.

Even the small chains up here are terrible in this regard. I hate going to Newbury Comics--at least the Harvard Square location--because they're always playing punk at ear-splitting volumes.

Dude, where are you shopping?? Cocounts? Well there's your problem! If your shopping in stores geared toward popular radio music, you'll get shit. Shop in Borders where they play everything, including jazz and classical, but even when they play the shit, it's still quite. Or go to J&R. In the jazz section all they play is, you guessed it.........jazz! I stopped shopping in Sam Goody, Coconuts, Looney Tunes, the mall, years ago.

Edited by Jazz Kat

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe you should start shopping online more?

Sometimes that can be a great idea. I bought a PRS Custom 24 from a dealer in Texas. Got a great deal on a beautiful guitar, that had been in its case since the dealer took delivery. In other words, NOT LEFT ON A RACK TO BE SUBJECTED TO 15 YEAR OLDS!

Let's face it, the average American listens to loud obnoxious hogwash, or whatever the marketeers feel like manipulating them with. Tale ©rap "music" for instance. If you told someone 20 years ago that a form of "music" the features no singers or musicians would be the most popular in 2005, what would that someone have thought?

Dude, where are you shopping?? Cocounts? Well there's your problem! If your shopping in stores geared toward popular radio music, you'll get shit. Shop in Borders where they play everything, including jazz and classical, but even when they play the shit, it's still quite. Or go to J&R. In the jazz section all they play is, you guessed it.........jazz! I stopped shopping in Sam Goody, Coconuts, Looney Tunes, the mall, years ago.

You're right-the only place other than small independents worth shopping in is Borders. I'm lucky enough to live in a place with 2 Borders, and they both seem to have knowledgeable buyers because they usually have what I'm looking for-for instance, I got the Anthony Braxton 23 Standards there recently, and with one of their 25% coupons, it was a good deal.

I think it is awfully hard to win. The chains are really obnoxious and play a lot of rap, though Borders does keep the volume down. A lot of indy store clerks are still living out their music snob dreams from High Fidelity, so only play obscure punk or something equally awful with vocal yelping, but at very high volumes. Reckless Records in Chicago is particularly bad for this, as was one of my favorite* stores on Belmont (that closed last year). I suppose it won't be much of a problem, since there won't be more than one indy stores per city in another 5 years. 4 music stores in Lakeview/Lincoln Park alone closed in the last two years, and another one looks to be well on its way towards closing.

* Very good selection in multiple genres despite the jerk clerks.

I think it is awfully hard to win.  The chains are really obnoxious and play a lot of rap, though Borders does keep the volume down.  A lot of indy store clerks are still living out their music snob dreams from High Fidelity, so only play obscure punk or something equally awful with vocal yelping, but at very high volumes.  Reckless Records in Chicago is particularly bad for this, as was one of my favorite* stores on Belmont (that closed last year).  I suppose it won't be much of a problem, since there won't be more than one indy stores per city in another 5 years.  4 music stores in Lakeview/Lincoln Park alone closed in the last two years, and another one looks to be well on its way towards closing.

* Very good selection in multiple genres despite the jerk clerks.

I walked into Amoeba, and they're blasting this hip hop shit. I walk into the jazz section, they're playing Bird.

The used CD place at the NE corner of Lovers and Greenville (Dallas, TX : where a kid can be a kid) has a pretty good track record (pun!) of playing hip music. Great Jazz and World selection too.

My place plays some pretty good music too, but my CD's are incredibly expensive to the public. The upside is that all CD's actually sold ($50 a-piece) come with a choice of tomatoe/parsley salad or a handful of dried figs/walnuts combo... CAVEAT EMPTOR.

They play crap because they sell crap and know crap about music. Just like the phrase that "america gets the government it deserves", americans get the music they deserve. Most of the population just doesn't know crap.