Next batch of Blue Note RVGs out 7/19

alankin

A quick listen and I wasn't impressed with ......... nor the Herbie Hancock.

That's cuz it needs a bit more that a quick listen...this one will grow on you.

I love this album :crazy:

Hey Brad what rarer issues do you have in mind? I for one can't wait for August. Never heard Think, Time for Tyner and Oblique. I will definitely pick up a legit copy of Judgement anyday and will probably get the Smith.....Hell, my name's on all of them........and they come out on my birthday too!! :g

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I listened to clips of the Cherry..... I still don't get it. Random sqwawking and howling may be some folks cup of tea, but it makes my head hurt and my ears bleed! :ph34r:

That's why this isn't on my list.

Temple Jazz, I don't have anything specific in my mind. But the Grant Green release awhile back, Goin West, was a step in the right direction, as is the Freddie Redd.

I listened to clips of the Cherry..... I still don't get it. Random sqwawking and howling may be some folks cup of tea, but it makes my head hurt and my ears bleed! :ph34r:

Al, have you listened to "Complete Communion?" That might be an easier place to start than "Symphony."

Got this batch today.

Attacking them in this order:

Symphony For Improvisers

Music From The Connection

Sunday Mornin'

Fuego

Inventions & Dimensions

The Big Beat

So far, Don Cherry is an assault on the senses, but there does seem to be a method to the madness. A few years ago I would have already hit DISC SKIP and been on about my way, but I'm gonna stick it out - mostly because the volume is down and I am working - not sure if I would have the same tolerance level were I concentrating on the music listening on my main system..... only time will tell.

I'm excited about this batch (and the next one) because this is the first time for me to own these in any form. That hasn't been the case for some of the recent batches.

Guest akanalog

i think cherry's stuff like this works better in smaller groups. like "complete communion" for instance. sanders and barbeiri is together is excessive. and karl berger and one of the bassists can go also.

I've been getting each of the RVGs not because I have a fetish, but because they've become the definitive version for me, and I've been able to get every one cheap one way or another. . . . I prefer them to other TOCJ and domestic lines. . . it's just me I guess and my system.

I'm looking forward to the Hancock because I think it's my favorite Hancock of all time with only "Speak Like a Child" as a serious contender.

Edited by jazzbo

I dont think the soundclips do the CD any justice if thats the case. I'm giving it another listen now & it sounds like a top quality free jazz CD of the era .

I'd recommend anybody to give it a gamble & risk making a purchase.

OK... I'll admit it. I skipped the last 6 minutes of Cherry to move on. Partly because of the excitment of 6 new discs and partly because I was beginning to lose my lock on the music. It was just too much.

BTW is Don Cherry wearing a Cosby sweater on the cover... a CAAAAWWWS-by sweater. :D

I've been getting each of the RVGs not because I have a fetish, but because they've become the definitive version for me, and I've been able to get every one cheap one way or another. . . . I prefer them to other TOCJ and domestic lines. . . it's just me I guess and my system.

Sums it up for me as well.

got Fuego and the Hancock, the former is IMO pretty dull, nobody's finest moment, dull tunes and not particularly inventive playing even the irrepresable McLean is pretty subdued.  :tdown

The Hancock on the other hand is VM better.

I don't get the comment about Fuego. It happens to be a great cd. I haven't picked up the Hancock yet. Might not. Most of his stuff leaves me cold. Different strokes....That's what makes the world go around, as the trite saying goes.

Interesting, I absolutely adore Fuego...one of my favorite Blue Notes...different strokes...

The more of these RVG's that come along, the more I wonder why I bothered hunting all over the friggin' universe for Conns in the first place...I mean crap, it appears that the majority of them are going to get reissued in this series eventually....what a waste of the "collector's pricetag" that we had to pay for many of these titles.

In alot of cases, I've even stopped upgrading...I'm tired of re-purchasing the same friggin' albums multiple times...hell with it, I'd rather spend my money on something I haven't heard before.

Hmmm. Gotta say, the only one of this batch that I don't already have in one form or another is the Blakey. I'm sure I'll pick it up eventually, but after going hogwild on BNs a few years back, I don't think I've spun a BN CD (non-Mosaic version at least) in several months. There's just so much other stuff that I've been exploring lately.

I'm pretty ho-hum about this batch of RVGs. The Connection is the only one I bought. I have the rest and, to be honest, none of them are ones I listen to. I've thrown in the "upgrade" towel on these titles that just aren't big ones for me personally.

Looking forward to the next batch more as there are some more interesting titles to me.

....however, after realizing the Jimmy Smith Vol 3 is that one that was JUST frikkin' issued on CD not long ago....I DON'T think so Blue Note, not this time. Out of all the JOS titles they could do, this is absolutely last on my list. Real early stuff that has very limited appeal in the big scheme of all things Jimmy Smith. :tdown

Stop the presses!!!!

I am usually a big fan of this RVG series and recently picked up 3 from the current batch: Inventions & Dimensions, Fuego and The Big Beat.

While I&D and Fuego sound great, the sound quality on The Big Beat Sucks!!

It is actually worse, IMO, than the Mcmaster first cd issue many years ago.

The RVG sound is muddy, the horns are muted - it sounds so bad.

I am very disappointed.

I'm going to get the Hancock and the Green but I have decided to stop buying RVGs in Europe because of the copy control system.Not that I intend to burn millions of CDs but because this thing prevents me from downloading my music on my ipod! I need to find myself a decent American seller whose prices are reasonable. CD universe seems to be quite popular here. Can you tell me more about them? Are they reliable? Do they ship quickly and do they respond to emails if there are problems with CDs or the delivery? Thanks for your help. I have promised myself not to buy one more of these copy controlled CDs and I will stick to my decision despite the hassle!

Edited by ASNL77

I'm going to get the Hancock and the Green but I have decided to stop buying RVGs in Europe because of the copy control system.Not that I intend to burn millions of CDs but because this thing prevents me from downloading my music on my ipod! I need to find myself a decent American seller whose prices are reasonable. CD universe seems to be quite popular here. Can you tell me more about them? Are they reliable? Do they ship quickly and do they respond to emails if there are problems with CDs or the delivery? Thanks for your help. I have promised myself not to buy one more of these copy controlled CDs and I will stick to my decision despite the hassle!

I love CD Universe. Don't know what the shipping to Europe is, but as a company they are great. :tup

the sound quality on The Big Beat Sucks!!

It is actually worse, IMO, than the Mcmaster first cd issue many years ago.

The RVG sound is muddy, the horns are muted - it sounds so bad.

I am very disappointed.

This happened with "Night dreamer" of the previuous batch already. RVG's remastering sound signature doesn't seem to be very reliable anymore.

And yes, CD Universe is very good for overseas orders.

Edited by Claude

ASNL77 - I have ordered from them a number of times and never had problems - apart from a few cracked jewel cases, but I understand they send replacements if asked, I did not bother. Since I never had something to contact them about, I would not know how prompt they are with answering queries.

Their 7 dollars shipment rate for the first item, plus 1.5 dollars for each additional disc, seems a bit high, but the prices, especially when compared to Europe, are more than low enough to compensate (I rarely order more than 4 discs at a time).

And you can also pay them via pay-pal, I do.

Edited by gnhrtg

ASNL77 - I have ordered from them a number of times and never had problems - apart from a few cracked jewel cases, but I understand they send replacements if asked, I did not bother. Since I never had something to contact them about, I would not know how prompt they are with answering queries.

Their 7 dollars shipment rate for the first item, plus 1.5 dollars for each additional disc, seems a bit high, but the prices, especially when compared to Europe, are more than low enough to compensate (I rarely order more than 4 discs at a time).

And you can also pay them via pay-pal, I do.

CDUniverse is great, though their shipping to Europe is indeed a bit high. Excellent service, speedy delivery.

I have promised myself not to buy one more of these copy controlled CDs and I will stick to my decision despite the hassle!

Well, all things taken together I think it's definitely less of a hassle to order CDs from the US, than getting the Cactus discs. I have ordered from CD Universe several times in the last two years since EMI Europe went Cactus, and have been 100% satisfied so far. I think they're great! :tup