Bennie Maupin

Soul Stream

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

king ubu included a live ballad recording from Swiss radio on his recent Blindfold Test - ask him for a copy of the complete broadcast. Masterful mature playing.

Austrian radio that is. Bennie played piano, bass clarinet, soprano, and tenor on that gig, backed by two able austrian rhythm players (or was one of them German?). We could vine this one here, if there's interest - what do you mean?

Guest youmustbe

You all should check out Bennie on 'Essence Of Funk' which was just reissued. A 1995 date with Tom Browne, Ron Carter, Bennie, Billy Childs, Donald Harrison, Lenny White

Cornbread, Loose Change, Slow Drag, Eternal Flame (Bennie's tune) Freedom Jazz Dance, Jive Samba, Comin Home Baby

king ubu included a live ballad recording from Swiss radio on his recent Blindfold Test - ask him for a copy of the complete broadcast. Masterful mature playing.

Austrian radio that is. Bennie played piano, bass clarinet, soprano, and tenor on that gig, backed by two able austrian rhythm players (or was one of them German?). We could vine this one here, if there's interest - what do you mean?

Count me in!

You all should check out Bennie on 'Essence Of Funk' which was just reissued.  A 1995 date with Tom Browne, Ron Carter, Bennie, Billy Childs, Donald Harrison, Lenny White

Cornbread, Loose Change, Slow Drag, Eternal Flame (Bennie's tune) Freedom Jazz Dance, Jive Samba, Comin Home Baby

Label, please, and a link to the budget price?

Count me in!

No others interested?

I thought I was Internet and network savy, but all this vining talk doesn't tell me anything (there was some M. Davis vining talk a while back ... and no, it was not the M. Davis whining thread). If it ain't too complicated, I'm in. (If it involves using the thumbs of both hands simultaneously, count me out).

Count me in!

No others interested?

What do I need to do?

I thought I was Internet and network savy, but all this vining talk doesn't tell me anything (there was some M. Davis vining talk a while back ... and no, it was not the M. Davis whining thread). If it ain't too complicated, I'm in. (If it involves using the thumbs of both hands simultaneously, count me out).

If you need both thumbs simultaneously to burn a cd-r you're out, if not, you're in! :P

****Folks! Drop me a PM if you want to be in! I'll wait for some days and then send out some info to everybody!*****

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've actually been very wary of that release--may have to look for it again (shows up in shady spots, here and there). That lineup could give you absolutely anything, and 'funk' in the title didn't give me much hope beyond your upteenth Headhunters rehash. I'm still wishing for the will-never-come Mwandishi reunion.

Edited by ep1str0phy

I'd like to see this Maupin nugget issued:

Ric Colbeck � Unissued Session

Unissued Pixie

recorded November 23, 1966: Hunter College, New York, NY (possibly October 4, 1966)

Colbeck, Ric (tr), Freedman, Joel (cell), Jones, Norris Sirone (ab), Lancaster, Byard (as bcl fl), Maupin, Bennie (ts), Murray, Sunny (drm), Sharrock, Sonny (eg)

Bennie told me it was Sunny's band, but who knows...

I haven't even seen a bootleg of that circulating, which is surprising considering what IS on the web. Maupin said it was "definitely" recorded, but whether it survived is anybody's guess.

Chewy-Chew-Chew/Bennie Maupin fan here reporting here: Chewy has seen B.M in a few different contexts- the 1st being the full-blown headhunters reunion concert, circa 97 or98 which was seriously awesome. secondly bennie used to have weekly gig at some really weird big weird sunset blvd. hotel, in their little bar/dinner room, (i think called Bonaventure): The #1 thing i remember about that gig was it was truly the worst traffic jam i'd ever encountered in my entire life to get there, hands down, by far. but besides that IT WAS MY FAVORITE BENNIE GIG. ***WHEN I WALKED IN, HE WAS IN THE MIDDLE OF A CRAZY ASS REALLY FREE BASS CLAIRNET SOLO. THEN A FEW MIN. LATER THE BAND GOT ALL FUNKY, BUT NOT REGULAR FUNKY IT WAS ALL CRAZY FUNK LIKE HEADHUNTERS 3000. THE PIANO GUY HAD 1 SYNTHESIZER ON TOP OF HIS GRAND PIANO AND HE STARTED TO GET FREAKY-FREAKY WITH IT. THIS IS MY FAVORITE BENNIE CONCERT.

I also saw him w/ this worn out really crazy and i mean crazy tonite show musian "sal marquez" but also in the band it was tootie on the skins. HERE WAS A GOOD SHOW TO SEE BENNIE PLAY MORE STRAIGHT AHEAD SWINGING BEBOP JAZZ.............BUT BENNIE WAS ANYTHING BUT STRAIGHT AHEAD-- HE WAS MORE LIKE OUT OF CONTROL. HE WAS SO DAM GOOD

Herbie DID reunite the MWANDISHI band in san francisco, circa 00 or maybe 01. buster williams billy hart bennie maupin and herbie and julian priester, right? it was a benefit show for J.P. - and it must of worked cause i just saw him 90 min. ago

No Eddie Henderson?

And: a benefit for Priester? For what reason? I hope he's doing well ..... my favourite trombonist.

Edited by mikeweil

Herbie DID reunite the MWANDKDIDSHI band in san francisco, circa 00 or maybe 01. buster williams billy hart bennie maupin and herbie and julian prister, right? it was a benift show for J.P- and it must of worked cause i just saw him 90 min. ago

Mwandishi does reunite now and again, but it's particularly nice to know this cause (regardless, I still think It'd be interesting to hear them now, especially as their mutual perspectives have changed). How was JP, by the way?

Edited by ep1str0phy