Tv Shows On Dvd

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

228061.jpg

So far, they've released the first three seasons (a total of 24 discs), and I've bought 'em all. If you're too young to remember that show, but you like WWII drama (without the blood and guts), check it out. Many great actors guested on that show during its run ('62 to '67), and a few great directors too.

One of my neighborhood 99¢ stores had DVDs for that price. I picked up a few old TV shows there, including The Loretta Young Show (3 episodes); You Bet Your Life (several shows); Mr. and Mrs. North (3 episodes w. Barbara Briton and Richard Denning); Sherlock Holmes (3 1954-55 episodes with Ronald Howard in the title role).

I also picked up tons of cartoons, including the Superman cartoons I used to see at Saturday Matinees during WWII, and a couple of full-length animated films: Gulliver's Travels (Max Fleischer) and one of my favorites, Animal Farm

Guest Chaney

You know what I'd like to see from the 70s and it does not seem available on DVD? Fernwood 2-Night with Martin Mull, Fred Willard etc. That's got to be one of the funniest shows of all time.

YES! YES! YES!

I'd love to be able to see that show again. Barth Gimble! Jerry Hubbard! Happy Kyne!

I believe it was on TV Land a while back?

Futurama - all 4 seasons (looks like a very good chance they will be making some

direct to DVD Futurama movies -- that would be so awesome)

Simpsons s 1/2

Firefly

The Tick

Married with Children s 1

Northern Exposure s 1/2/3

Twilight Zone s 1/2/3

Star Trek Original Series s 1

Seinfeld s 1/2

Red Dwarf s 1-6

Invader Zim (all)

Are You Being Served (all)

Monty Python (all)

As Time Goes By s 1-6

Father Ted (all)

Some of these are my wife's! But there is a real split between British comedy and science fiction

I also have this (a 2-disc set), which--as British comedy shows go over here--is fairly recent and totally outrageous.

Ah! The show that launched a thousand catchphrases...

Yeah, but, no, but...

Funny until everyone starts doing it! ^_^

How is Father Ted? Would you rank it with Fawlty Towers and other well known British shows?

I actually missed a couple I've got, including The Young Ones and Fawlty Towers. Father Ted is great, but if you have thin skin regarding shows that poke fun at priests you wouldn't like it. Definitely akin to Fawlty Towers in spirit.

The set up is three priests are assigned to this awful little island (Craggy Island) off the coast of Ireland. It's where the Church sends their no-hope priests. One is old, alcoholic "dirty old man" priest who often has daydreams of what he got up to as a younger priest. The youngest is impossibly thick. The middle one, Father Ted, seems the most normal, but he has some strong quirks himself, including a bit of a gambling problem. He's the only one who is self-aware enough to understand the crazy situations they get up to. There's also a strong willed housekeeper who is classic.

If you're not sure you would like it, try to rent the DVD with "Kicking Bishop Brennan Up the Arse" - a two-parter which is howlingly funny.

• 3 weeks later...