Tv Shows On Dvd

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been thinking of getting the Sgt. Bilko DVD, but I'm afraid that I buy it, then the full season DVDs come out. BTW CBS should be releasing the full-seasons for this classic sitcom. Anyone have the just released one? Is it worth getting?

bilko.jpg

Edited by Matthew

I've been thinking of getting the Sgt. Bilko DVD, but I'm afraid that I buy it, then the full season DVDs come out. BTW CBS should be releasing the full-seasons for this classic sitcom. Anyone have the just released one? Is it worth getting?

bilko.jpg

I just finished watching the Sgt. Bilko set a couple of days ago. It's really great - I can't imagine too many better DVDs being released this year. I agree that season sets would've been better, but I'm not holding my breath waiting for them to be released, either. The same thing happened with GUNSMOKE - a multi-disc best-of compilation instead of full-season sets - but at least with that one they had the excuse of the show having had such a phenomenally long run that it was uncertain there were enough die-hard fans to justify 20 full-season sets.

The extras are fairly brief on the Bilko set, but they're well-chosen - I found myself wishing they'd seen fit to include all of Phil Silvers' final TV interview before his death, instead of just a short clip from it, as what's there is fascinating. But the shows by themselves should be all the enticement anyone needs to grab this set.

Sorry guys but I don't understand how you can consider 'The Office' worthy of comparison to 'Fawlty Towers'.

I'm probably in a minority but 'The Office' left me cold. I'm a 60 year old Brit so have lived through some of the golden ages of British humour but 'The Office' is just not funny imo. To me it's a classic case of 'the emperor's new clothes'.

I agree. Watched the first 3 episodes this weekend and called it quits. The premise of the show is that you've got a manager who thinks he's one of the world's great comedians and no one else in the office does -- so what's funny about that? The other thing is that there really isn't a likeable character in the lot.......the manager's a goof and the underlings aren't much better.

And, Son-of-a-Weizen, it wasn't until the fourth episode of The Office that I really got it. It's one of the funniest single episodes I've ever seen, especially because it's so scarily, exactly like a particular place that I once worked.

Okay, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to watch one more. Then, if it ain't working for me, am I off the hook for good? ;)

Greg! Get OUT!

The American version, for my taste, is fun but too silly. Steve Carell? Not a great talent but used to good purpose in The 40 Year Old Virgin. His work on this show does not impress, probably as I have a hard time divorcing his performance from that of Ricky Gervase.

The American version: good enough.

The Brit original is biting and wicked, with the character of David Brent being a truly nasty, but ultimately pathetic creature. (Until his salvation, of course.)

Honestly, I'd have a hard time finding one category in which the USA version betters the UK version.

That being said, I'll continue to watch and enjoy the American version. (I've always been a sucker for the depiction of arms-length office romance. :w )

I'm getting confused in this thread over which version of The Office people are loving or hating. :lol: Personally I find the British version dull and confusing; something's lost in "translation" - and I do count myself as a Python/Fawlty Towers/Goodies fan. The U.S. version of The Office, otoh, is brilliant, easily (imo) the funniest show on television at the moment. I've even gone back to watch the British version, but it still doesn't work for me in the same way...

bilko.jpg

I'm on the fence as well. I can't believe they aren't just releasing everything. This is not only great TV, it should be required viewing for anyone entering the military. Yes, Bilkos really exist! :g

bilko.jpg

Well, the temption was too great when I went to Best Buy to get me a carrying case for my laptop last night. I saw Sgt. Bilko for $31.00 and went ahead and bought it, and I'm enjoying it immensely -- outstanding transfer, never seen the episodes look so clear. The humor still holds up well after all these years, and I enjoy the slower camera work on these old-time sitcoms. Haven't looked at the extras yet, I'm not big on extras since I rarely watch them, once and done for me. If you like 50's tv, this is a must buy. It'll hold you over until the full season sets come out. <_<

Edited by Matthew

I've started watching Star Trek: the Next Generation on DVD. I was briefly into the show in high school, at least enough to watch a season or so. It's not great so far but not bad either.

I was shocked to discover that Data got laid in the 2nd episode!!!

Guy

I hesitate to say this, but seasons 3 and 4 are the best.

"Faulty Towers" Of course.

"Prime Suspect" Series 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. For that handful of folks who haven't seen it, do.

I know that this is a thread listing series on DVD, but these on VHS are worth mentioning, so I will.

"Traffik" the original series from BBC. Forget the Hollywood film. This is excellent and was the series on which the film was based. It reads like a documentary and is chilling.

"The Newsroom" from CBC This was a mini series written by the great satirist, Ken Finkleman, who also starred. No laughtrack and subversively hilarious.

"Rebecca" - The second series from BBC of Daphne du Maurier's book.

There was also a series made in 1972.

A strange thing connects the two. The first series featured Jeremy Brett [sherlock Holmes series] in the lead, co-lead by Joanna David as "the girl" who became Mrs. Dewinter.

In the later series, made twenty-odd years later, in the nineties, the part of Mrs Dewinter was played by Emily Fox. Fox is the daughter of Joanna David and Edward Fox [Day of the Jackel]. Charles Dance played the Brett role.

Both series are excellent, although the first one is not available even on VHS. I taped it, having waited years for it to be re broadcast on PBS. Worth the wait.

"The Charmer" with Nigel Davenport. Another series from BBC. This is a very interesting con-man story about the title character's plot to marry and kill various elderly women. Perfect casting.

"Danger - UXB" with Anthony Andrews - This was about the men in the British Army whose job it was to find and diffuse unexploded bombs after the war. Tense and well worthwhile finding.

OK. Back to series on DVD. Sorry for the digression. Still............

Edited by patricia

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Having just finished the third and final season of Arrested Development, I pickup up Season 1 and 2 of The Office.

The first couple of episodes were pretty good, but as season one progresses you can see the writers really getting a hold on these characters and I can tell already this show is going to live up to the hype!

With three kids 6, 4 and 2, I don't see much TV other than Dora, Diego and Disney DVDs. We never get to see these when they air (although I've got a DVR now - I just forget to use it!)

I'm getting towards the end of season 1 of Kung Fu that was lent to me by a friend. It's everything I remembered it to be, a pretty cool show. I still really dig it.

I'm also about half way through the 1st season of Scrubs, one of my favorite shows. Season 2 is on deck but I've only been able to squeeze a show in every 1 or 2 weeks lately.

I'm waiting on the library to get the 2nd season of LOST in circulation. I'm one of those who've never watched it on TV and now I'm trying to catch up. I'm taping but not watching season 3 for when I finish the season 2 DVDs. I'm about 26th on the waiting list but they're going to have about 6 copies circulating so that puts me at about 4th or 5th in line overall. That still probably puts me on at least a 2 month wait.

Once I'm done with Kung Fu, I'll probably pick up on watching the original Twilight Zone again during my lunch breaks. I've watched season 2 and am about 3 discs into season 1. I've had season 3 for over a year and it's still in shrink-wrap. I had to take advantage of a good deal when the opportunity presented itself.

Edited by mikelz777

I haven't watched any Lost dvds, but I've seen all the broadcast shows and think they're interesting. . . . And it's no chore to watch Evangeline Lily and Michelle Rodriguez!

I ordered Firefly and have that on the way. . . that was a good series, saw most of it in broadcast.

Evangeline Lily indeed!

Lost is one of those shows where you can't or shouldn't miss a single episode. That was the beauty of having seen it on DVD for the first time because you could watch it without fear of missing it, on your own scheduled time. Plus you didn't have to wait a week to see what happened. I was the one who was initially curious as to what the whole buzz surrounding the show was about and my whole family ended up being hooked. It took us about a week to get through the entire first season.

Edited by mikelz777