James Spaulding - Round To It!

relyles

I purchased this self released CD from Mr. Spaulding in early June and have been meaning to mention it here ever since. The performances on this live recording come from the same gig as those on Spaulding's previously released Blues Up And Over Vol. 1. Its a quintet date with Dan Faulk (ts, ss), Isaac ben Ayala (p), Eric Lemon (b) and Reggie Nicholson (d). Very solid straight ahead live date that at times is reminiscent of classic Blue Note hard bop, but updated to reflect today. As usual Spaulding is featured on alto sax and flute and he blows with passion and imagination on both. Faulk caught my attention throughout with some very strong solos. Easily recommended to fans of Spaulding and straight ahead jazz in general.

Edited by relyles

• 1 month later...

Hey Ronald... Hope you are enjoying vol. 2, Round To It. James did not make a couple of the Gigs where his name is posted. For example, the gig with Tolliver's Big Band at Dizzy's Coca Cola and the gig at Yoshi's. But this is to set the record straignt, that he is feeling good, and just returned from Moscow, Russia, on August 22, '05, where he had a great time and thoroughly enjoyed the musicianship. One of the things that gets in the way when playing with musician's here, is the ego trips. Round To It had a good review at: http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/review_print.php?id=18279. James says, "Sorry to disappoint all of the fans but I hope to make it up at a later date."

Jean Spaulding

Edited by speebop