Holy Crap SWAT team

A safe ending: Taser shot subdues man after two-hour standoff

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

By Lisa Medendorp

CHRONICLE STAFF WRITER

A Taser fired by a Michigan State Police trooper put an end to a nearly two-hour standoff with an armed man Tuesday after the suspect stepped out the front door of a Whitehall home.

The Muskegon County Prosecutor's Office identified the man as 22-year-old Lee Michael Sterhan. He was not injured by the Taser, which is an electro-shock device that causes temporary incapacitation.

Officers rushed to restrain Sterhan while he was on the ground. He was then handcuffed and loaded -- yelling and screaming at police -- into a cruiser that was headed for the Muskegon County Jail.

That was at 12:50 p.m.

About a half-hour before, Kristen Mura, 24, and her 3-year-old son, Brandon, had escaped unharmed out the same front door at 128 Tulgeywood.

Whitehall Detective Brandon Mahoney said Mura had awakened at 11:16 a.m. to find the suspect, who was an acquaintance, in her bedroom. He was wearing a ski mask and threatened her, according to police.

"At some point, she was able to sneak off to the bathroom and made a (911) call from there," Mahoney said. But she disconnected, saying she wanted to go back to her son, who was still in the bedroom with Sterhan.

Sterhan had created a disturbance during the early morning hours at the Mura home and had been sought by police throughout the night. Mahoney said Mura was frightened and had locked the doors to the home as well as her bedroom door. Police believe Sterhan got into the home through a small kitchen window and then used a butter knife to gain entry to Mura's bedroom.

At 11:32 a.m., she called 911 again. "She said he had the gun in his waistband and she wanted police to hurry," Mahoney said.

"Originally, she did not feel she could leave," Mahoney said.

But she made a third 911 call about five minutes later indicating he was in the basement and she was in an upstairs bedroom. "We talked her out of the house," Mahoney said.

"I don't think he knew we were out there at first," Mahoney said.

Sterhan, a parolee from Muskegon, was expected to be arraigned today in 60th District Court on four felony charges -- breaking and entering, assault with a dangerous weapon, being a felon in possession of a firearm and a felony firearm count.

The sequence of events that led to the standoff began at 3:42 a.m. Tuesday when Whitehall police responded to the Mura residence on a domestic disturbance call involving Sterhan. Mahoney said officers were told "he was acting crazy."

Sterhan was a friend of Mura's ex-boyfriend, according to police. He had been let into the home, and when Mura called police, "he was burning food in the kitchen," Mahoney said. "He threw a couch and was punching holes in the wall. She was trying to kick him out."

In addition to Mura and her son, a 17-year-old baby sitter also was present, police said.

Sterhan fled when Mura called police, running between houses, over fences and through yards in the quiet neighborhood. Police were unable to find him.

About 4:30 a.m., officers got another call from Mura indicating Sterhan was back at the house, trying to get in. An officer saw him in a yard to the north of the home, but he got away. Mahoney said police continued to search for him until about 6:30 a.m.

At 9:41 a.m., police got a report of a breaking and entering at the Tulgeywood Lane home of a state police trooper in the same block as the Mura residence.

The burglary was discovered by the trooper's sister, who lives next door. "She discovered handgun cases out and other items scattered about," said Whitehall Police Chief Donald Hulbert. The woman called police and called her brother, who works in Grand Rapids.

As soon as the trooper arrived home, "he confirmed that two handguns, ammunition and other personal items were taken," Hulbert said, adding that officers began to think the two incidents hours apart on Tulgeywood might be related. Police later determined the break-in had occurred around 7:40 a.m.

Whitehall Officer Jim Duram then called the Mura residence. Someone answered and hung up the phone. Duram called back, and "the telephone was answered by a male subject who appeared to be intoxicated and agitated," Hulbert said. The man said Mura couldn't come to the phone, Mahoney said.

Police set up a perimeter around the house about 10:50 a.m., and Hulbert contacted state police requesting a negotiator and the Emergency Services Team, a unit that specializes in high-risk entries.

In addition to Whitehall police, officers from Montague and the Muskegon County Sheriff's Department, and other state police troopers surrounded the home.

Officers on the perimeter could see Sterhan moving around inside the house.

Hulbert said a negotiator called inside to make contact with Sterhan. The suspect started to exit the house as he was answering the phone, the chief said.

Sterhan was headed toward a car parked in the driveway. "He was ordered several times to stop and show his hands," Hulbert said. "He made a gesture toward his pocket and was shot with a Taser. That brought him to the ground immediately."

Although the situation could have warranted the use of deadly force, Hulbert said officers used their best judgment and felt the Taser was the appropriate course of action.

The two stolen handguns were found inside 128 Tulgeywood, Hulbert said. One of the weapons that had been stored unloaded at the trooper's home was found loaded when it was recovered, he said.

As the situation intensified Tuesday, police in plainclothes had gone door to door in the neighborhood telling people about what was going on and giving them the option to stay home and away from windows and doors, or to leave.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to hear everyone's safe, Chuck.  And that the guy was taken down with only a taser.  Here in L.A., the cops would have fired around 300 rounds... maybe hitting the guy once or twice...  <_<

I heard 3 or 4 rapid "pops" which I assume was the Taser. I thought it was automatic gunfire at the time.

Whitehall Detective Brandon Mahoney said Mura had awakened at 11:16 a.m. to find the suspect, who was an acquaintance, in her bedroom. He was wearing a ski mask and threatened her, according to police.

:ph34r:

Um... she already knows who you are, dude. :w

Seriously, glad to hear there were no fatalities.

I'm probably the only person on the street knowing this. :(

Here it is in context:

'Twas brillig, and theslithy toves

Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;

All mimsy were the borogoves,

And the mome raths outgrabe.

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!

The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun

The frumious Bandersnatch!"

He took his vorpal sword in hand:

Long time the manxome foe he sought--

So rested he by the Tumtum tree,

And stood awhile in thought.

And, as in uffish thought he stood,

The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,

Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,

And burbled as it came!

One two! One two! And through and through

The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!

He left it dead, and with its head

He went galumphing back.

"And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?

Come to my arms, my beamish boy!

O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"

He chortled in his joy.

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves

Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;

All mimsy were the borogoves,

And the mome raths outgrabe.

WOW. Scary stuff. Glad everyone is okay, Chuck.

I guess when my wife and I were on our honeymoon in Hawaii, the SWAT team came to our neighbors house (this is in downtown Lansing, so the house was literally 6 feet from ours) and busted the occupants for running a meth-lab. Our other neighbor described the whole thing to us when we got back. It sounded pretty freaky. State troopers blocked off the road on both sides and armored and armed SWAT guys surrounded the house, running around in our backyard. I'm glad we missed that one.

We live in a different neighborhood now.

:)

• 5 months later...