Future Mosaic Projects

Eric

Just saw this on the Mosaic web site (a new link for "Future Projects"):

SCHEDULED RELEASES

Late August

The Jazz Crusaders: The Pacific Jazz Quintet Studio Sessions (MD6-230) 6 CDs $102.

This set chronicles the nine studio albums made by the Jazz Crusaders for Pacific Jazz between 1961 and 1970 on 6 CDs with a dozen previously unissued performances. Not included in the set are special projects such as their collaboration with Les McCann or their albums with a big band or Latin musicians added.

Early October

Mosaic Select: Jazz Piano Trios - Russ Freeman, Richard Twardzik, Jimmy Rowles and Clare Fischer (MS-019) (3 CDs)

This set reinstates a number of important piano recordings made for Pacific Jazz showcasing the work of four stylistically unique pianists. Rowles was the consummate pianist in any style or situation. Freeman found his own voice from the innovations of Bud Powell. Twardzik was a daring original like Monk and Herbie Nichols. Fischer explored the post-Bill Evans sound of a piano trio.

Mosaic Select: Charles Tolliver (MS-020) (3 CDs)

Charles Tolliver emerged in 1965 as a strong and innovative trumpeter and composer. After important tenures with Jackie McLean, Gerald Wilson, Max Roach and Andrew Hill, Tolliver formed his own quartet which he dubbed Music Inc. He recorded the band live at Slug's in New York in 1970 and at a Tokyo concert in 1973 for his own Strata-East label. These are now being gathered with unissued performances from the session as the 3rd CD.

October/November

The Thelonious Monk Quartet With John Coltrane At Carnegie Hall ( MQ1-231 Mosaic (200-gram)HQ-LP $30.00)

Larry Appelbaum at the Library of Congress discovered a heretofore unknown November 1957 Carnegie Hall concert taped by Voice Of America radio. What makes this news earth-shattering is the existence of two 25-minute sets by the legendary Thelonious Monk Quartet with John Coltrane. And the music more than delivers on its promise. Pianistically, Monk will shock you and Coltrane is focused and impassioned throughout and the sound is excellent. For only the 2nd time in its history The Library of Congress allowed the master tape to be taken from its premises. The original tape was brought to New York to Master Cutting Room and mastered by Kevin Hodge and will be pressed at RTI where Classic Records has allowed us to use their exclusive 200-gram press. CD will be issued by Blue Note for $17.98.

November

The Complete Argo, Emarcy and Verve Small Group Buddy Rich Sessions (MD7-232) 7 CDs $119

These small group sessions (1953 - 1961) are a true testament to the awesome drive and technique of this remarkable personality in performances that paired him with 'Sweets'Edison, Benny Carter, George Auld (ts), Thad Jones, Joe Newman, Ben Webster, Frank Wess, Oscar Peterson, Sonny Criss, Jimmy Rowles, Barney Kessel, Frank Rosolino, Bob Cooper. Added to this is his live Miami album on Verve with Flip Phillips; his EmArcy recordings with Markie Markowitz, Willie Dennis, Seldon Powell, Mike Mainieri and Dave McKenna and all three albums by the band with Sam Most and Mainieri, one of which isissued in this set for the first time.

FUTURE PROJECTS

Mosaic Record Boxed Sets

Oliver Nelson: The Verve/Impulse Big Band Studio Sessions (5 CDs)

This set will contain all of Oliver Nelson's big band recordings for Verve, Argo and Impulse, some of which were issued under Leonard Feather's name or as the Jazz Interactions Orchestra. It will also contain all the sessions that he arranged with big band instrumentation for Shirley Scott and Pee Wee Russell on Impulse and for Jimmy Smith on Verve.

Chu Berry (7 CDs) Selected recordings from labels owned by Sony/BMG

Includes small group studio sessions with Bessie Smith, Billie Holiday, Red Allen, Teddy Wilson, Lionel Hampton, Gene Krupa and Wingy Manone. Also included are sides when he was a member of the Fletcher Henderson and Cab Calloway big bands.

Mosaic Selects

Mosaic Select: Sidney Bechet (3 CDs)

A Mosaic Select covering his important first recordings with the Clarence Williams Blue Five; the Bechet-led studio sessions from the 30s on Vocalion and the Noble Sissle sides for Variety; in addition to the Bechet Quartet Columbia dates from the late 40s and a session with Bob Wilber, who will be our liner note writer for the set.

Mosaic Select: Gerry Mulligan (3 CDs)

In December 1957, Pacific Jazz's Dick Bock came to New York to record Gerry Mulligan. In the space of two weeks, they made four albums together, each with a concept and each unique to Mulligan's discography. "The Gerry Mulligan Songbook" feature great Mulligan compositions from the past with an all-star sax section arranged by Bill Holman. "Reunion" brought Mulligan and Chet Baker together for the first time in over four years. "Annie Ross Sings A Song Of Mulligan" features Miss Ross backed by the Mulligan's current quartet with Art Farmer, as well as the reunion quartet with Chet Baker. "Stringtime," which was not released at the time, features Mulligan and Dave Bailey with the Vinnie Burke String Quartet. The full session is issued here for the first time.

Mosaic Select: Tony Williams (3 CDs)

This set features Tony Williams' 1985 return to Blue Note "Foreign Intrigue" with Wallace Roney, Donald Harrison, Bobby Hutcherson, Mulgrew Miller and Ron Carter as well as all four studio albums by the great acoustic quintet that Williams led from 1986 to 1991 with Roney, Bill Pierce, Miller and a variety of bassists.

Mosaic Select: McCoy Tyner (3 CDs)

This set contains all six sessions recorded by Tyner for Blue Note between August 1968 and September 1970. This includes "Expansions," "Extension," "Asante" and three sessions not issued at the time which later appeared on the double album "Cosmos." This was one of Tyner's most overlooked and highly creative periods.

• 4 months later...

I don't know when they are going to add it to the Future Projects page, but the Hutcherson Select is coming closer to reality.

I emailed a few days ago:

Dear Mosaic:

I would like to suggest that the pianist Bernard Peiffer be the subject of a

Select, since his work (aside from the material in the Jazz in Paris series)

is so difficult to find. This list of mostly Decca LPs (and a rare

Universal LP) would probably fit on a Select.

Bernie's Tunes

The Astounding Bernard Peiffer

The Pied Peiffer of the Piano

Modern Jazz for People Who Like Original Music

Piano a La Mood

Bernard Peiffer (1959)

I was also wondering about the status of the Select of Bobby Hutcherson's

1970s material.

Thank you for your time.

and got this reply:

Your comments regarding Bernard Peiffer are appreciated and have been

forwarded to Michael Cuscuna. The Hutcherson Select will probably be

released in September.

Regards,

Mosaic Records

I still would like more details about the Hutcherson (please let Inner Glow be on there), but I can rest a bit more easily. If anyone else wants to suggest to MG that they reissue Bernard Peiffer, please feel free. The more the merrier.

• 2 weeks later...

today's news on the ice website is a little info on the upcoming sidney bechet select:

As one of the first recorded soloists in jazz (purportedly making it on to disc just months before Louis Armstrong), New Orleans native Sidney Bechet towers over the music’s history and remains one of its key figures. The clarinetist and soprano saxophonist influenced not only his early contemporaries Armstrong and Duke Ellington, but also had a profound impact on ’60s modernists John Coltrane, Steve Lacy and Albert Ayler, among others.

On January 17, Mosaic Records unveils the latest in its three-disc, limited-edition Mosaic Select box sets, this one devoted to Bechet’s recordings spanning 1923 to 1947 for the Columbia family of labels, including OKeh, Variety and Vocalion. For the ultra-rare, mid-1920s material, much of it coming from Bechet’s apprenticeship in the Clarence Williams Blue Five, Mosaic went straight to the original metal parts and lacquer discs used at that time to record the material, all culled from collectors all over the world, and meticulously transferred and remastered them for the music’s best sound to date.

Later material features the Crescent City reedman’s sideman appearances with the Noble Sissie Orchestra, as well as his first sessions as a leader for Columbia--septet recordings with protégé clarinetist Bob Wilber, who contributes insightful liners to the set. Finally, the 1947 recordings spotlight Bechet’s working quartet, which found the group exploring several popular songs by the likes of Cole Porter and Johnny Mercer, in addition to the traditional Dixieland-associated tunes that had been Bechet’s bread and butter.

With a hefty 14 previously unissued takes tacked on to a lion’s share of rarities, this Mosaic Select box is a must-have for serious Bechet fanatics, but also serves as a great introduction to anyone interested in the roots of early jazz.

The full track list (numbers in parentheses denote each of the tune’s separate takes):

Disc One:

Wild Cat Blues

Kansas City Man Blues

Atlanta Blues

Kansas City Man Blues

Irresistible Blues

Jazzin' Babies Blues

'Tain't Nobody's Bus'ness If I Do

New Orleans Hop Scop Blues

Oh Daddy!

Graveyard Dream Blues

If I Let You Get Away With It

Shreveport Blues

Old Fashioned Love

House Rent Blues (The Stomp)

Mean Blues

Texas Moaner Blues

Early In The Morning

You've Got The Right Key, But The Wrong

Keyhole

I'm So Glad I'm A Brownskin

Off And On Blues

Mandy, Make Up Your Mind

I'm A Little Blackbird Looking For A Bluebird

Who'll Chop Your Suey (When I'm Gone)

Cake Walking Babies From Home

Harlem's Araby

Disc Two:

Bandana Days (1)

Bandana Days (2)

I'm Just Wild About Harry (1)

I'm Just Wild About Harry (2)

Dear Old Southland

Okey-Doke (1)

Okey-Doke (2)

Characteristic Blues (1)

Characteristic Blues (2)

What A Dream (1)

What A Dream (2)

Hold Tight (1)

Hold Tight (2)

Jungle Drums

Chant In The Night

Spreadin' Joy (3)

Spreadin' Joy (1)

Spreadin' Joy (4)

I Had It But It's All Gone Now (1)

I Had It But It's All Gone Now (3)

I Had It But It's All Gone Now (4)

Polka Dot Stomp

Kansas City Man Blues (3)

Kansas City Man Blues (2)

Kansas City Man Blues (1)

Disc Three:

Buddy Bolden Stomp (1)

Buddy Bolden Stomp (2)

My Woman's Blues (1)

My Woman's Blues (2)

The Song Of Songs (1)

Love For Sale (3)

My Woman's Blues (3)

Just One Of Those Things (2)

Just One Of Those Things (1)

Just One Of Those Things (5)

Love For Sale (1)

Love For Sale (4)

Love For Sale (2)

Laura (2)

Laura (1)

The Song Of Songs (2)

Shake 'Em Up (1)

Shake 'Em Up (3)

Shake 'Em Up (2)

Also on January 17, the label issues a Mosaic Select set capturing the work of baritone saxophonist Gerry Mulligan (ICE #226) from 1957-58, while upcoming editions of the series will cull the Blue Note label material from pianist McCoy Tyner and drummer Tony Williams, respectively.

Any update on the exact date for shipping (beyond "mid to late January")? The ICE reference to a 1/17 street date was probably an estimate as they went to press.

Dang, I was going to camp out waiting for the DHL truck tomorrow, waiting patiently for the Bechet. :blink:

Anyhow.....I'm sure somebody will post when it arrives at the first doorstep. Can't wait for this one!

Bummer... which means that the Oliver Nelson... due out in February is more like March..... :angry::angry:

Called Mosaic this afternoon and they said "Last week of January or first week of February" for the Mulligan and Bechet sets.

Too bad I was going to order it.