I always thought the Rolling Stones were British..

Hardbopjazz

From Reuters.

Reuters - Thu Aug 11, 4:31 PM ET The U.S. rock band The Rolling Stones perform at the Phoenix Concert Theatre in Toronto, Canada, August 10, 2005. The group played four cuts from the upcoming Virgin album. Other surprises included 'Emotional Rescue', 'She's So Cold,' and standards such as 'Brown Sugar' and 'Jumpin' Jack Flash.'

mdf639613.jpg

Edited by Hardbopjazz

From Reuters.

Reuters - Thu Aug 11, 4:31 PM ET The U.S. rock band The Rolling Stones perform at the Phoenix Concert Theatre in Toronto, Canada, August 10, 2005. The group played four cuts from the upcoming Virgin album. Other surprises included 'Emotional Rescue', 'She's So Cold,' and standards such as 'Brown Sugar' and 'Jumpin' Jack Flash.'

Yeah, that really is a "surprise" that the Stones played the standards Brown Sugar and Jumpin' Jack Flash... I've never seen/heard a Stones show that hasn't included these tunes since they were written!

More poor writing on the part of the reporter...

But what the hell: U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A! :lol:

Cheers,

Shane

We should probably start a separate thread for this, but has anyone checked out Tim Ries' new "music of the Rolling Stones" side?

I just got it (and haven't yet listened), more because I'm a fan of Tim's than the Stones. I thought it was funny, the label on the CD referred to him as "Rolling Stones saxophonist" Tim Ries. Damned by faint praise.

Edited by Free For All

I thought it was funny, the label on the CD referred to him as "Rolling Stones saxophonist" Tim Ries. Damned by faint praise.

In the company of Bobby Keys, yes. Ernie Watts, eh....six of one, apples and oranges of the other.

But another "Rolling Stones saxophonist" was Sonny Rollins, so....

We should probably start a separate thread for this, but has anyone checked out Tim Ries' new "music of the Rolling Stones" side?

I got the Tim Ries/Stones Project and have had a couple of listens. Tim sounds great. Nice arrangements and an impressive line-up with Sco, Larry Goldings and big name vocalists like Norah Jones and Sheryl Crow. If it hadn't been TR as the leader, I probably wouldn't have picked it up, but I'm glad I did.

Hey lookie, it's my first post!

Thanks for the tip, Paulie!

• 6 months later...

bumpin this for the Tim Ries content. I just picked up his Rolling Stones Project, upon which it seems everyone and their dog guested. I like Ries' playing throughout, moreso on tenor than soprano (though I think that problem is in my ears more than in Ries' horn). But I really like the contributions of Bill Frisell and Ben Monder the most, I think. Monder is on 3 tracks, and Frisell is on 4.