WORLD CUP 2006 / GERMANY

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now, let's talk about something really exciting, Ukraine in the quarters :lol: Of all the quarter final matches, this looks like it will be the worst and unless you're a fan of one of those countries, one you won't necessarily mind missing. I guess you'd have to root for Italy, just because Ukraine really has not done much in this Cup, other than their whitewashing of a poor Saudi team.

The next time time you post don't forget to add ;) , so I will unrdestand you're kidding, if you're kidding.

If you don't understand what is posted, don't forget to ask the poster what they mean before posting comments like you did. For your information: I was clearly referring to the Italian football players, not to your country.

Edited by J.A.W.

Now, let's talk about something really exciting, Ukraine in the quarters :lol: Of all the quarter final matches, this looks like it will be the worst and unless you're a fan of one of those countries, one you won't necessarily mind missing. I guess you'd have to root for Italy, just because Ukraine really has not done much in this Cup, other than their whitewashing of a poor Saudi team.

:D

Is it me, or is the 2nd round getting worse with each game?

Yeah, I'll take Italy in this match...heaven forbid what will happen to the Ukraine if they were to face e.g. Argentina/Brazil in the semis...that just wouldn't be fair...

I don't know the Ukrainians well enough to comment, but Leonardo, Lawrenson and Shearer in the BBC studio were confident the Ukrainians would play a markedly different game against the Italians. The Swiss didn't exactly invite exciting play...

BTW - with 3 minutes until penalties, what a completely bizarre decision to bring off Frei. :wacko:

How you interpret someone's posts is entirely your responsibility and should not be blamed on the poster. Besides, you're reading something that isn't there at all. And it's certainly no excuse for your disgusting and horrible comments.

Well, how I interpret the post depends on my comprension AND how the post is written. It's called COMMUNICATION.

But, yes, this not an excuse for my disgusting and horrible comments.

So I apologize again for it.

Maybe I am a bit angry because racism towards imigrants is growing in Italy right now, and some of my ancestors suffered from it when they were immigrant in Germany and Switzerland.

The next time time you post don't forget to add ;) , so I will unrdestand you're kidding, if you're kidding.

If you don't understand what is posted, don't forget to ask the poster what they mean before posting comments like you did. For your information: I was clearly referring to the Italian football players, not to your country.

Correct, but I was angry because Italy still plays bad at this WC ;)

I don't want to re-ignite the discussion of a couple of pages back, but I have to say, I found the Holland - Portugal game utterly compelling viewing...Granted not for the usual reasons that people find football matches compelling, but all the same...

I thought the Argentina - Mexico wasn't far off a classic.

England I agree were abysmally dull (plus ca change). Likewise this evening's 'entertainment'.

France v Spain I expect to be good; and Brazil v Ghana could be fantastic if the Ghanaians start well.

I don't want to re-ignite the discussion of a couple of pages back, but I have to say, I found the Holland - Portugal game utterly compelling viewing...Granted not for the usual reasons that people find football matches compelling, but all the same...

I thought the Argentina - Mexico wasn't far off a classic.

England I agree were abysmally dull (plus ca change). Likewise this evening's 'entertainment'.

France v Spain I expect to be good; and Brazil v Ghana could be fantastic if the Ghanaians start well.

Argentina - Mexico was indeed good to watch, though I wouldn't call it far off a classic (am I being too critical, I wonder...)

I agree, tomorrow should be a good day - at least I hope so...

Edited by J.A.W.

Argentina - Mexico was indeed good to watch, though I wouldn't call it far off a classic (am I being too critical, I wonder...)

Actually, maybe fair enough! :) I was probably overreacting, although I thought it was a great game to watch (as you say). However, I'm sure I'd think it was a nailed-on classic if I'd watched Maxi's goal go in on a street in Buenos Aires!

Actually, maybe fair enough! :) I was probably overreacting, although I thought it was a great game to watch (as you say). However, I'm sure I'd think it was a nailed-on classic if I'd watched Maxi's goal go in on a street in Buenos Aires!

:g:tup

I agree, tomorrow should be a good day - at least I hope so...

I enjoyed Argentina - Mexico, the mexican showed the problems of the gauchos. I didn't see Argentina so well. Actually I don't see any team so superior to others. They all have their problems. So I think that WC is still open.

Peace, J.A.W. and apologizes. :)

Only exception: the German team, of course ..... :g

I must admit that they're better than I had expected. I wonder how they'll do against Argentina on Friday. That could be a great game.

Edited by J.A.W.

I must admit that they're better than I had expected. I wonder how they'll do against Argentina on Friday. That could be a great game.

I bet it will be - if the Argentinians decide to rely on their superb facilities instead of fouls.

I bet it will be - if the Argentinians decide to rely on their superb facilities instead of fouls.

I agree, it could be great. I'm convinced Argentina are a far superior footballing side, but the German team being what it is in the World Cup, and at home at that...

One thing's for sure - it's got the potential for goals.

The second round started on a high with Saturday's matches but has started to slowly sink since then, with the last match of today bringing it down even further. However, I expect tomorrow's matches to be very good and assuming Brasil and Spain win tomorrow, I think we could have some very good quarters, well three out of four ain't bad :g

Well, I had to go out during the Switzerland/Ukraine match, so I taped it and watched it later... after I was good and tired. :eye::eye: Can you imagine how hard it was for me to stay awake? I'm not even sure why I tried. Anyway, I made it... all the way to the last ... -_- ... oh, sorry- I dozed off for a second. All the way to the last PK. WOW, what a thrilling exhibition of... :unsure: ... hmm... was it football? :rolleyes: At least this one was relatively clean, and the referee wasn't pressured into making dumb decisions. For that, I'm thankful.

I agree that Ghana need to get off to a good start tomorrow. They looked very poised and skillful in their win over the Czechs, but we'll see if they can maintain that kind of concentration and possession against Brazil. Even if they do, I expect it will be difficult for them to score goals.

Spain/France... hmmm... which France will show up? They can do it, I'm sure... maybe I should root for France because they have more gray hairs like me. ;) I just hope it will be a fine and fair display. Best wishes to the fans here from each side!

Oh, and don't let the emotion get you carried away afterward! (PLEASE, God... no PK's) :lol:

And so it goes ... congrats to Italy, I'm not sure they deserved to win, but they defended brilliantly. And the Aussies did not deserve to win, suspect PK notwithstanding. With all those chances and a one-man advantage, they shoulda dun better. Still, it's been fantastic. Is Ghana the only underdog still standing? Go Ghana!

Echoing a column in this morning's Melbourne Age: I'm quite the purist when it comes to tampering with goalmouth width or the offisde rule, but too many games here seem to have been decided the the refs.

I'm down the coast with Bennie, with just a small TV in our cabin and about half our larder ready to cook up a storm, so I'm not sure how much I'm gonna catch in the next few days.

It feels a little better being ousted AFTER the likes of the Netherlands!

I'd like to be able to say we'll be back better next time, but I'm not so sure. A lot of our guys, who have been playing together since they were boys, are headed for the retirement sidelines. So the next World Cup campaign will look a lot different. Soccer, though, now has a far more prominent and permanent place in Australia's sports life and my own personally (pay TV here I come). :angry:

And so it goes ... congrats to Italy, I'm not sure they deserved to win, but they defended brilliantly. And the Aussies did not deserve to win, suspect PK notwithstanding. With all those chances and a one-man advantage, they shoulda dun better. Still, it's been fantastic.

Classy post, Kenny. At the very least your Aussies deserved another 30 minutes.

Is Ghana the only underdog still standing? Go Ghana!

I'd say the Ukraine is still somewhat of a minnow in the pond as it stands now. I would have liked to see Ghana do further damage, but not against Brazil. I like to see surprises and underdogs overachieving, but I like Brazil (I think most people do... how can you not?)

Echoing a column in this morning's Melbourne Age: I'm quite the purist when it comes to tampering with goalmouth width or the offisde rule, but too many games here seem to have been decided the the refs.

You're preachin' to the choir there! ^_^ I saw a statistic today (not certain if it's accurate, but...) after 53 matches, there had been 297 yellow cards. I've forgotten the number of reds, but both were records. 297... that's 5.6 per match. :huh: