Your next Mosaic set

hmmm sounds like the Tyner but I do have all of it though :( and its only a selct) mind you so was the Patton and Duke Pearson but they replaced a couple of cdrs as well as mostly normal cds..

does it have cosmos...maybe I will if it has that as I only have an lp copy of that and I said I would get the cd if it came out :blush:

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably the Columbia Jazz set. . . in due time

I'm with you on that one Lon. I'm looking for it to be here on Christmas morning. I haven't heard a lot about this set, but with Buck Clayton, Ruby Braff, Pee Wee, Ben Webster, how can you go wrong.....

Reece, Brookmeyer, or Shank Select (fall or winter 06)

Andrew Hill select in early spring 06.

--of course, this could all change if the Parlan or Roach go on the 'last call' list

The Brookmeyer Select is a must-have (IMHO)... I was on the fence for A LONG time on this one... and am very glad I picked it up...

Doesn't get a lot of talk on this site... but I suspect folks who got it... like it....

Probably the Columbia Jazz set. . . in due time

I'm with you on that one Lon. I'm looking for it to be here on Christmas morning. I haven't heard a lot about this set, but with Buck Clayton, Ruby Braff, Pee Wee, Ben Webster, how can you go wrong.....

Reece, Brookmeyer, or Shank Select (fall or winter 06)

Andrew Hill select in early spring 06.

--of course, this could all change if the Parlan or Roach go on the 'last call' list

• 1 month later...

Any opinions on the Bennie Green select? I've been on the fence on that one for a REAL long time...

I've really enjoyed this one- dripping with soulful swing. Soul Stirrin' is a favorite Blue Note for me, 'cause I do loves me some Jug and Elvin. BG is a swinging trombonist, to my ears shares some similarities with the great Willie Dennis (see the Mulligan CJB Mosaic for some greta WD). You've also got Turrentine and Quebec, how much more can you ask for? I do listen to this one more than some of the Selects.

I say :tup:tup

Oliver Nelson really doesn't sound great to me lately, I'll not jump into that one.  I have likely all the Chu Berry material (darn it!)  I'm not that excited about upcoming stuff I guess!

I agree about Nelson. He wore off on me some time ago and I doubt I'll be revisiting this material in its new setting, even though I don't know it all.

Chu Berry is another matter...