Your next Mosaic set

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've finally gotten friends and family trained.

I bought a few with gift certificates for my birthday and the following with gift certificates (and some cash) :excited:

198-MD-CD GERALD WILSON

232-MD-CD BUDDY RICH

230-MD-CD JAZZ CRUSADERS

MS-009 MOSAIC SELECT-BOB BROOKMEYER

MS-006 MOSAIC SELECT-JOHN PATTON

JTSUB JAZZ TIMES SUBSCRIPTION

outstanding choices... Only one of the batch I don't have is the John Patton.... but :tup:tup all around..

I've finally gotten friends and family trained.

I bought a few with gift certificates for my birthday and the following with gift certificates (and some cash) :excited:

198-MD-CD GERALD WILSON

232-MD-CD BUDDY RICH

230-MD-CD JAZZ CRUSADERS

MS-009 MOSAIC SELECT-BOB BROOKMEYER

MS-006 MOSAIC SELECT-JOHN PATTON

JTSUB JAZZ TIMES SUBSCRIPTION

I'm still waiting for The Complete Johnny Hodges 1951 - 1955 Sessions to arrive. Late November eBay purchase but crappy seller.

:tdown Geez, you'd think there would have been a little extra effort to get it there at least by Christmas.

I have a 100.00 gift certificate and I'm pulled in three different ways: Mosaic sets I really want (e.g., Columbia Swing or Sonny Stitt), Mosaics I kind of want, but should get before they go OOP (Parlan, Roach, maybe Elvin), and then I like the idea of grabbing three Selects from among the many I want (Chambers, Reece, Amy, Brookmeyer, Hill, Shank/Cooper). Decisions, decisions.

For my two cents... grab the Sonny Stitt!!!!!!!!!! I waffled on this for a long time and got it this summer... Definitely one of my top 5 Mosaics... (and I have a lot...) You'd think with 9 CD's there would be one clunker of a set or two... but there's not.... :excited:

This set doesn't get much airplay on the board but it really is outstanding!!! :tup:tup:tup:tup

If I had to pick a second from your list... it would be the Elvin....

Hey Ron S.... You didn't cough up the $$ yet for the Stitt did you???

I'm still waiting for The Complete Johnny Hodges 1951 - 1955 Sessions to arrive. Late November eBay purchase but crappy seller.

:tdown Geez, you'd think there would have been a little extra effort to get it there at least by Christmas.

I have a 100.00 gift certificate and I'm pulled in three different ways: Mosaic sets I really want (e.g., Columbia Swing or Sonny Stitt), Mosaics I kind of want, but should get before they go OOP (Parlan, Roach, maybe Elvin), and then I like the idea of grabbing three Selects from among the many I want (Chambers, Reece, Amy, Brookmeyer, Hill, Shank/Cooper). Decisions, decisions.

...ordered the Tolliver, Brookmeyer and Pacific Jazz Piano Trio Selects today with a little christmas cash!!!

m~

I received my sets today, two days after ordering them...damn, that's fast. One concern I have is that several of the discs have a couple of tiny blacks spots on them (lable side)...not sure if it's ink or what but I can't rub them off.....any thoughts????

Also, my Pacific Jazz Piano Trio is set #4449 (of 5000), could it really be this close to being gone??? The Brookmeyer is #3836 and the Tolliver is #482.

m~

...ordered the Tolliver, Brookmeyer and Pacific Jazz Piano Trio Selects today with a little christmas cash!!!

m~

I received my sets today, two days after ordering them...damn, that's fast. One concern I have is that several of the discs have a couple of tiny blacks spots on them (lable side)...not sure if it's ink or what but I can't rub them off.....any thoughts????

Also, my Pacific Jazz Piano Trio is set #4449 (of 5000), could it really be this close to being gone??? The Brookmeyer is #3836 and the Tolliver is #482.

m~

Unlike the big boxes, the Selects are not sold in sequential order, so the number of a particular set sold does not indicate anything about prior sales.

Regarding the black spots, if they don't affect play, they probably occurred during label printing and aren't anything to worry about. However, if they bother you, just send an email to Cindy at Mosaic (csr@mosaicrecords.com) and explain the situation, and she'll have replacement discs sent to you "no-questions-asked" (and without your having to return the affected discs).

For my two cents... grab the Sonny Stitt!!!!!!!!!! I waffled on this for a long time and got it this summer... Definitely one of my top 5 Mosaics... (and I have a lot...) You'd think with 9 CD's there would be one clunker of a set or two... but there's not....

This set doesn't get much airplay on the board but it really is outstanding!!!

The Stitt was off my radar until just recently. I read the reviews on the Mosaic site and was somewhat surprised by the amount of love of expressed for that set ( in terms of the number of reviews and the glowing nature of them). And when I checked the discography a little more closely I realized this set had a little more variety than I had thought.

m~

m~

Unlike the big boxes, the Selects are not sold in sequential order, so the number of a particular set sold does not indicate anything about prior sales.

Regarding the black spots, if they don't affect play, they probably occurred during label printing and aren't anything to worry about. However, if they bother you, just send an email to Cindy at Mosaic (csr@mosaicrecords.com) and explain the situation, and she'll have replacement discs sent to you "no-questions-asked" (and without your having to return the affected discs).

Thanks Ron, I haven't played the cds yet other than to download to my idod (will spin them all today) and I don't think they will be a problem. Cindy has always been helpful in the past.

Thanks again.

m~

It was waiting for me when I got home from Chicago last night. Seller said he shipped it on 12/17, but the postage sticker was dated 12/27. Not ordering from that guy again...

On the plus side, the box and LP's are in great shape and an excellent addition to my shelves.

okay, I caved in again..... :bad::bad: I used my Xmas Gift Card (and another little gift from my wife) and preordered the Oliver Nelson... I was listening to the OJC CD - Afro-American Sketches... (as I mentioned in a earlier post) and really liked it....

So I'm hoping the Verve set is similar.... I'm sure it will be a little uneven... but I hope its as good.... :excited::unsure::crazy::huh::excited:

(You hear that Ron... that's Mosaic on my speed dial... preordering again!!! :party::party: )

Who's got or who's getting the Lou Donaldson???? I've got a couple of previously released cd's... Sunny Side Up and Gravy Train.... I caught him perform once... and he kinda put me off... (a little).... But I'm listening to the Quartet/Quintet/Sextet CD (not on the Mosaic set..) and its forcing me to give this another considering...

:blink::blink:^_^^_^

Who's got or who's getting the Lou Donaldson???? I've got a couple of previously released cd's... Sunny Side Up and Gravy Train.... I caught him perform once... and he kinda put me off... (a little).... But I'm listening to the Quartet/Quintet/Sextet CD (not on the Mosaic set..) and its forcing me to give this another considering...

It is a very good set with a lot of enjoyable music.

The music on that set is wonderful in my opinion. The different pianists and other accompanists give different flavors to the Donaldson stew that really makes for nice listening.

I have almost all this set on individual Japanese and American cds that I like to listen to better than the set (I like the sound on the separate discs better) on my main stereo, but I sometimes bring the set into work and groove groove groove to the sounds coming out of the computer.

A lot of real good Lou on this. I play this a lot more than I ever thought I would. :tup

P.S. Regarding the Stitt, it's a must have IMO.