Buying CDRs

Soulstation1

I have my favorites - TDK - but I usually wait til they're on sale or, if desperate, buy whatever is on sale. I just bought a 100 disc stack of Phillips for something like $12. They work perfectly, but since I usually just write on all of my CDRs I don't like the "busy" graphics that get in the way on the Phillips.

I have my favorites - TDK - but I usually wait til they're on sale or, if desperate, buy whatever is on sale.  I just bought a 100 disc stack of Phillips for something like $12.  They work perfectly, but since I usually just write on all of my CDRs I don't like the "busy" graphics that get in the way on the Phillips.

careful w/ them Phillips. i had some and a couple of them peeled like and onion. boo, hiss.

I have my favorites - TDK - but I usually wait til they're on sale or, if desperate, buy whatever is on sale.  I just bought a 100 disc stack of Phillips for something like $12.  They work perfectly, but since I usually just write on all of my CDRs I don't like the "busy" graphics that get in the way on the Phillips.

careful w/ them Phillips. i had some and a couple of them peeled like and onion. boo, hiss.

Hmm. Thanks for the warning. But I've never had any problem, with them or any CDR brand in fact. The only bad CDRs I ever used were some generic (and ultra cheap at the time) Office Depot type that I bought once around 5-6 years ago.

Bread & butter discs are silver/green Taiyo Yudens. I come from the old line of "Japanese only" disc traders. :D Unlike Sony, TDK, Imation and the like, I know whose disc they are using. Their own!

I used Fuji for the last 2-3 years, until they discontinued the 100 count spool. I then went with Taiyo Yuden for the same reason as Quincy. They make 'em, and they seem to work fine in my car stereo. Some other brands don't.

BTW, for those of you that like TDK....Costco is having a sale (it's in the coupon book that they mail you or have by the entrance) until September 25. Buy one 100 disc spool and the second is free. I think the price on one is $23.99.

I pretty much will try anything if I see it a good price, and almost all of them have been fine. Sony has given me the most trouble, but even that was no big deal. I think 4 or 5 of them failed in a spool of 100 that I bought at a very good price..

I've never had a problem with Memorex CD-R's, but my father had horrible problems with Memorex DVD-R's, which has made me a bit skeptical. I usually just buy what I can get cheapest, though. I've used everything from Imation to TDK to no-name stuff, like the Best Buy private label brand , which is what I usually buy now (I get it dirt cheap with my employee discount). I've never had any problems.

I use Fuji's but only those made in Japan. Usually either Best Buy or Staples has them on sale in my area. When I see a good price I stock up. Last time I bought from Staples I had to check each package as some were made in Taiwan and some in Japan. I have not had a failure with cdr's from Taiwan but many traders prefer those from Japan.

They aren't made any more but Kodak use to make a fine cdr.

I use Fuji's but only those made in Japan. Usually either Best Buy or Staples has them on sale in my area. When I see a good price I stock up. Last time I bought from Staples I had to check each package as some were made in Taiwan and some in Japan. I have not had a failure with cdr's from Taiwan but many traders prefer those from Japan.

They aren't made any more but Kodak use to make a fine cdr.

Kodak was my first disc. Sniff. I've kept a few of the 50 disc cake boxes as they were so sturdily made. So I move my TYs to a couple of those and put a few other brands I have from B & Ps in others.

The main concern for me with (some) cheap discs isn't whether they'll play in the future since 99.9% do, but whether you can make a copy from it a year or more down the line. This was a big issue when I was trading a lot of Grateful Dead back before it could all be downloaded. While the number of difficult to extract from discs amongst the cheap set may have been less than 2%, it was a pain when I was a busy busy trader. If you're not having to make future copies from a disc that plays but doesn't happily extract then obviously it's not a problem.

Edited by Quincy

I use Taiyo Yuden for my most prized projects.

I get them through American Digital in CT:

American Digital - Taiyo Yuden CD-Rs

They only cost about 30 cents each in spindles of 100.

I figure the minimal premium you pay vs. the brandless

discs is well worth it in the long run.

One caveat, the surface of the TYs is shiny silver and not the

greatest if you plan to write on them. However they are ideal

for those how like to affix stickers to their discs.

For my less than critical projects I have used Mitsui, TDK, Fuji and

Imation with excellent results. This past week I picked up

100 of the Phillips discs at a great price. They seem to work well

but as another member mentioned there is no place to write on the

disc that isn't obscured by the graphics so I doubt I would purchase

them again.

Stay away from the bargain basement and brandless stuff;

they are generally unreliable in the long run.

Actually I have found the duplication speed to be a bigger issue than the

disc being used. Anything faster than 8X is looking for trouble and I generally

use 4X.

My 2 cents.

Don